Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They still need another site between San Diego and LA. Superchargers at either endpoint aren't really useful to me. Maybe those will help offload SJC a little, but not very much, I think, especially with more and more Teslas on the road.

While I agree, there are always those who go to San Diego for the day, or vice-versa, to L.A.. If there is an option to charge at the destination, then one would not need to charge in between. That's exactly what I did on my last trip to SD, though I charged at a hotel overnight. Definitely did not need a charge to get home.

While I agree, there are always those who go to San Diego for the day, or vice-versa, to L.A.. If there is an option to charge at the destination, then one would not need to charge in between. That's exactly what I did on my last trip to SD, though I charged at a hotel overnight. Definitely did not need a charge to get home.

I see some utility in destination superchargers. It's more convenient to use an L2 charger overnight at your hotel, but that's not always possible. If I'm taking a day trip from San Diego to LA, though, I'd rather stop once on the way for a short charge than drive across LA to get to a supercharger that probably isn't right next to my intended destination. SJC is a pretty good location for this, since it on the way to practically everything in OC or LA. It's just not big enough and it's poorly designed.

You are correct. I was just pointing out that destination charging in L.A. or SD may offer benefit to others, and may allow some decompression. Given the immense popularity of SJC in such a short time, it seems that they grossly underestimated its need. Even 12 may have been insufficient.

So, where should the 2nd OC be located? Costa Mesa off the 405? Maybe somewhere off the 5 in Anaheim. That would catch the traffic going to/from downtown L.A.

I see some utility in destination superchargers. It's more convenient to use an L2 charger overnight at your hotel, but that's not always possible. If I'm taking a day trip from San Diego to LA, though, I'd rather stop once on the way for a short charge than drive across LA to get to a supercharger that probably isn't right next to my intended destination. SJC is a pretty good location for this, since it on the way to practically everything in OC or LA. It's just not big enough and it's poorly designed.

I agree with 4SUPER9. It can still benefit you indirectly. Maybe you won't need the new SC, but if it works better for somebody else, it may free up a spot at SJC for you. :) I haven't really heard of people waiting at SJC very often, even if it is almost always busy.

Wow. I have had such a much better, actually wonderful experience, to wit:

I am delighted to report that I had my first Supercharger experience since picking Sparky up last Dec 19. And it was at San Juan Capistrano. I was doing my periodic day trip to SD from LA, and stopped to take a sip on the way down, just to make sure I knew how to navigate the Camino Capistrano route, and to guzzle some electrons just in case it was swamped on the way back. I got there at about 8:00 am yesterday, and was the only car. Of course 4A was open, so I hooked up. Holy C#&P!! BTW, had no problem with the curb, and run the car normally at standard with speed-lowering. Anyway, I stepped across the street for a Starbucks, and by the time I stood in line, placed my order and waited for my cappucino, the app said Sparky was done!! There was one other car on station when I unplugged, but otherewise, "crickets." I know, I know. You all are pros and have done this a thousand times, but for us first-time supercharge-rookies, it is magic. Just for good measure and because it was so much fun, I also stopped on my return trip from SD at about noon Tuesday. This time there was one other car when I hooked up, and a total of 3 of us on station when I got back from my second Starbucks quickie. Wow. As advertised, and fan-F-ing-tastick. One more reason to love my car and this amazing company. FWIW, I didn't find the traffic that bad from the I-5 to the SC. A couple of stop lights and a left turn. Meh . . .

s-l-o-w charge at SJC supercharger

Yesterday around 5 pm, I passed the SJC Supercharger roughly midway through a one-day, multi-stop trip from Los Angeles to San Diego and back. I had about 100 Rated Miles left, and had planned to add another 100, so I could complete my stops and return back to LA without further charging. There were already 4 cars at the Supercharger, one on each circuit, so had to join as the second car on one of the Supercharger pairs. I only got 96 Rated Miles per hour, which is by far the slowest charging I have experienced at about 10 different Supercharger locations. I ran out of time, so stopped charging after adding 35 miles, and returned at 11 pm after driving another 60 miles. This time I was the only car at SJC and it charged at about 285 Rated Miles per hour.

Has anyone else experienced such a huge range of charging speeds at SJC?

Yesterday around 5 pm, I passed the SJC Supercharger roughly midway through a one-day, multi-stop trip from Los Angeles to San Diego and back. I had about 100 Rated Miles left, and had planned to add another 100, so I could complete my stops and return back to LA without further charging. There were already 4 cars at the Supercharger, one on each circuit, so had to join as the second car on one of the Supercharger pairs. I only got 96 Rated Miles per hour, which is by far the slowest charging I have experienced at about 10 different Supercharger locations. I ran out of time, so stopped charging after adding 35 miles, and returned at 11 pm after driving another 60 miles. This time I was the only car at SJC and it charged at about 285 Rated Miles per hour.

Has anyone else experienced such a huge range of charging speeds at SJC?

You were the second car on a shared charger. 96 mph charging is just under 30 kW. The other car that was sharing the Supercharger Cabinet had priority and was getting most of the power. As it entered the taper, you would have gotten more. This happened to me in Hawthorne before. I just switched to another stall and did much better. There were 3 other stalls to try with three other Teslas already charging. Although each of those cars would have had priority over you, one of them was probably further into the taper (higher State of Charge) and would have left more for you. Next time, just try another Charging Stall and see if there is more left over for you.

I hope that you have better luck next time.

You were the second car on a shared charger. 96 mph charging is just under 30 kW. The other car that was sharing the Supercharger Cabinet had priority and was getting most of the power. As it entered the taper, you would have gotten more. This happened to me in Hawthorne before.

Anyone know what the algorithm is for sharing power if both cars on a Supercharger circuit are not limited by their tapers? For example, does the first car to show up get 2/3 of the power?

It would be great if there was a sign at the Supercharger displaying which slot is the optimal one for the next car to go to; this would simplify things for the MS driver as she/he shows up ... and optimize everyone's experience. Or, they could push the info to the Tesla Mobile app.

Anyone know what the algorithm is for sharing power if both cars on a Supercharger circuit are not limited by their tapers? For example, does the first car to show up get 2/3 of the power?

It would be great if there was a sign at the Supercharger displaying which slot is the optimal one for the next car to go to; this would simplify things for the MS driver as she/he shows up ... and optimize everyone's experience. Or, they could push the info to the Tesla Mobile app.

The first car gets as much power as their car will take and the second car gets whatever is left. If you're getting a really slow charge, that means the other car probably just got there and you should try another spot.

The first car gets as much power as their car will take and the second car gets whatever is left. If you're getting a really slow charge, that means the other car probably just got there and you should try another spot.

I was at SJC the other day. When I got there it was going slow because someone else was charging on the same stall. He left after 5 minutes and I unplugged and plugeed back in to start charging fast. After about 10-15 minutes someone came and plugged in to the same stall and when he did my power dropped about 50 amps (but still over 200).

I was at SJC the other day. When I got there it was going slow because someone else was charging on the same stall. He left after 5 minutes and I unplugged and plugeed back in to start charging fast. After about 10-15 minutes someone came and plugged in to the same stall and when he did my power dropped about 50 amps (but still over 200).

Some users in Europe have reported that the sharing ratio is 80% or what can be used for the first to arrive, and the rest for the second to arrive. It is assumed that this is quantized by each of the 12 charging modules only serving one car at a time; as sharing allows, modules are reallocated from the primary to the secondary car.

I resemble the remarks re SJC being cramped and inconvenient! Keep in mind Tesla had to retain the Old World charm of the stores that surround it, not an easy task but they succeeded nicely in my view. But TM would be smart to build the second OC SC in an open modern setting with room to inevitably expand to 16+ slots.

SJC offers all sorts of parking/cabling choices as well as that authentic burrito joint. Definitely one of my favorite SCs.
--

I resemble the remarks re SJC being cramped and inconvenient! Keep in mind Tesla had to retain the Old World charm of the stores that surround it, not an easy task but they succeeded nicely in my view. But TM would be smart to build the second OC SC in an open modern setting with room to inevitably expand to 16+ slots.

SJC offers all sorts of parking/cabling choices as well as that authentic burrito joint. Definitely one of my favorite SCs.
--

Still haven't been able to make it to the burrito place. I keep ending up there late at night. One of these days!

First time using the SJC supercharger.......Friday Morning at 11:00 AM.....all seven chargers were taken and two tesla's waiting......really?
Yup.

And I doubt they're gonna expand SJC anytime soon, considering it just came online (6 months behind schedule)

I think a supercharger in San Diego would alleviate a significant amount of charging at SJC, at least people won't be charging til 100% just to go to SD

See my post at Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model.

I did not calculate the case for 7 Stalls, but interpolating between 6 and 8, you get a 2% chance of queueing with an average of 3 stalls in use. Anything over an average utilization of 3 stalls, and you will start noticing queueing from time to time; much over 3 and there will be a lot of queueing, but experience has already proved this...

Some users in Europe have reported that the sharing ratio is 80% or what can be used for the first to arrive, and the rest for the second to arrive. It is assumed that this is quantized by each of the 12 charging modules only serving one car at a time; as sharing allows, modules are reallocated from the primary to the secondary car.
I agree each charging module can serve only one car at a time, because each car is at a different SOC and hence a different pack voltage, so the DC output voltage for the chargers assigned to it is different.

I believe the allocation of modules are quantized in groups of 3, so that there is one charger for each phase in each group. As the total charge rate for one car in a sharing pair ramps down, the chargers assigned to it are only drawing maximum power at the 30, 60, or 90 kW boundaries. At an intermediate power, say 45 kW for example, you would have 6 chargers allocated, but they would not all be supplying full power. They might each be drawing 7.5 kW, or one group could be drawing 5 kW each while the other group is drawing 10 kW. When the primary car reaches the 30 kW boundary, a block of 3 chargers is released to the secondary car.

With this allocation policy the minimum number of chargers assigned to the secondary car would be 3. If the primary car is still drawing more than 90 kW when the secondary starts, the primary will see a drop in its power as the number of chargers assigned to it drops from 12 to 9. If the primary's SOC is such that it is drawing no more than 60 kW when the secondary starts, the secondary should be initially allocated 6 modules and see a maximum of 60 kW.

Scale all these numbers up about 10% for the 135 kW chargers.

This policy would keep the load on the 3 phases balanced. While this is not a strict requirement, it is advisable. I believe I have seen evidence of this allocation in blocks of 3 with both my experience and the reports of others.