Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steal the keys to their trucks & don't give them back until all work is complete :biggrin:

I am driving down this weekend & going to the Padre game on Sunday & can use the supercharger, if its not online I was planning on sitting at the service center staring at the wall while charging.
There are several Blink chargers in the parking lot across the bridge from Petco. The lot next to the Hilton Bayfront. Charges at 18 MPH

There are several Blink chargers in the parking lot across the bridge from Petco. The lot next to the Hilton Bayfront. Charges at 18 MPH

Unfortunately not driving down to Petco, instead getting together with old college friends who decided to book rooms around "hotel circle" & when I looked on plugshare none of them had chargers...no biggie, I either drive slow or stop at the service center, I have a feeling service center will be needed to get back to Hawthorn.

Unfortunately not driving down to Petco, instead getting together with old college friends who decided to book rooms around "hotel circle" & when I looked on plugshare none of them had chargers...no biggie, I either drive slow or stop at the service center, I have a feeling service center will be needed to get back to Hawthorn.

Be aware SD service center is in the middle of nowhere haha. I went down there with a laptop full of TV shows to get a full charge :)

Call the Tesla store at UTC. It's a much nicer place to hang out, if one of the chargers is available.

- - - Updated - - -

Be aware SD service center is in the middle of nowhere haha. I went down there with a laptop full of TV shows to get a full charge :)

When I charged at the Las Vegas service center, they offered me a ride so I wouldn't have to hang out there. Perhaps the San Diego service center would be kind enough to offer a ride.

Call the Tesla store at UTC. It's a much nicer place to hang out, if one of the chargers is available.

- - - Updated - - -

When I charged at the Las Vegas service center, they offered me a ride so I wouldn't have to hang out there. Perhaps the San Diego service center would be kind enough to offer a ride.

The guys at the Tesla Store at UTC are super friendly - was just there this week. Give them a call first, Paul and Nate had offered to move the test drive cars as needed. A charge up to 260 Ideal Range got me from the Tesla Store at UTC to the SuperCharging at Tejon Ranch without stopping and about 40 miles to spare (if I remember correctly, 193 miles UTC to Tejon), with the AC on, (90+ outside on Tuesday) - not in range mode (this is a P85+). Kept the speed in the 60-70 MPH range through LA on I-5, when possible, a lot of slow traffic. You get a lot of re-gen coming down off the pass.

SJC will make it so we don't have to bug the guys at the store. I called the service center, and updated the plugshare pin with what they told me - they didn't seem as open about charging, so went to the store instead. (UTC store parking - hard to find if you haven't been, read the plug share pin for this location before going there.)

Just hope it's not as busy as Hawthorne. Went there once this year during off peak hours for a supercharging test and there was a line 4 cars long. Never going there again.

I think there are often cars at Hawthorne that are trying to get to San Diego. SJC may relieve Hawthorne a bit. Being that Tesla owns that property entirely, I was hoping that they would add 8 more stations. They definitely have the space. I actually wouldn't be surprised if that's on their list. Maybe, they are waiting to see the effects from SJC.

Final inspection scheduled for Monday...

New fuse cabinet and transformer installed and wired today...so the utility work is done...

20140502_143406.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wondered about these odd number Supercharger installations. In the installation pictures a few pages back, it showed the secondary transformer bay with three conduits going to Tesla equipment - each conduit has the same identical bundle for three phase wiring. So it is likely that SJC just has three Supercharger cabinets. Which equals 6 bays. So where does the 7th bay get its power from? Do they have 120kW Superchargers that share power to three bays?

There are actually 4 Supercharger cabinets, 2 each inside 2 buildings. I didn't get to see the wiring to each Supercharger, and the distribution end wiring was not entirely exposed. So, I suspect there are 4 runs of 480V 3-phase. I'll try to confirm that guess on Monday.