Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems odd that most of the So Cal SpC constructions have moved at a snails pace.

After opening 2 in 6 weeks in late 2014/early 2015, there did seem to be a surprising blind spot or lack of awareness on the part of the Southwest Region's management concerning the pressing need to get ahead of Orange County density and distance demand. Once Qualcomm opened up in San Diego without any thought toward a North (San Diego) County SC, it just made things worse at SJC and that cascaded to FV.

I encountered someone at the Redondo SC who regularly commutes from North County to West LA. He was unaware of the FV SC and tries to avoid SJC. Conversely, if/when they build a North County SC, that will shift pressure from SJC and FV further north.

None of which is intended to deflect from the failure to get ahead of charging demand in the #1 county in America for Tesla ownership.

So between the demand accorded to density *and* the demand accorded to heavy distance demand, it would seem more than reasonable that the OC have more SCs than LA County - and in particular along the 405 and 5 corridors.

But, as you note with regard to overall deployment speed, that's often not the case today, and that's why you see valets at FV and SJC. Valets, I might add, who would do well to remind each and every patron to return to their cars a few minutes before their charge is complete. This was not happening when I was last at FV.

So far, that's 2 strikes for the Southwest region - not staying ahead of OC density/distance demand, and making exactly zero progress between Tucson and San Antonio for 2 years along I-10, despite I-10 being the only transcontinental route that doesn't require chains or snow tires year round.

Meanwhile, Buena Park is almost done (again) and Santa Ana will get there. Although if I never see another SC at a mall, it wouldn't be too soon. Talk about an absurd conflict of interest, which is painfully evident at every grand opening at a mall. First, the Tesla representative touts the get in and get out quick nature of the SC, and then the poor property management representative touts the benefits of coming in and staying awhile over dinner and a movie with a little shopping on the side. Nowhere in any of that do you hear "but please move your car once the charge is complete". Yeah.

It's not easy getting anything built in SoCal, but SoCal hardly has the monopoly for that. It may require more effort or skill to negotiate deals with regional or national fast food and fueling centers, but clearly there are more synergies there than with malls.

Lastly, there was an article today about a car wash pilot program in part, in the opinion of the reporter, because there isn't enough to do while SCing. Wow. If a person is actually not busy enough to appreciate 30 minutes of scheduled time every so often, then that person needs a hobby. That's the kindest way I can possibly express my incredulousness at the assertion that SCs should be placed where there are things to do so the patrons don't get bored. Absolutely not. Short of a bathroom (see fast food and fueling centers), people do NOT need any more reason to ICE their space after a charge is complete than they already have now. No. Non. Nyet.

Harrumph.

/goml

I'm just curious, as I've seen it referenced a few times over the year, is there data supporting that Orange County CA has the most Tesla owners per capita than any other area? I had imagined the general Bay Area around SF/SJ/etc had the most (as that was my experience when I drove through), plus Norway and HK, but I'm interested to see more.

On the topic of the Santa Ana supercharger, I suspect we'll have to wait for Ed Trotter to return for any more updates as it seems like he's got an in with the various players involved.

Face to face conversations with multiple members of Tesla management.

I didn't question their statements or demand data or sourcing from them at the time.

You are of course welcome to disprove the statement with "data" of your own. Unless you're just questioning statements just to question them.
I am not saying that you did not hear that, nor am I saying that what you heard was incorrect. What I do not respect is people who through out hearsay as fact, then ask other people to disprove them with real data. You started it, you do the research and show the facts.

All that being said, the OC is stupid-busy and needed help the second SJC opened, then needed more help the very minute that FV opened, and will need way more help even after BP and SA open. None of what TM has in store (as far as we know) will be sufficient to meet TODAY'S needs. No way will it be sufficient down the road.

I am not saying that you did not hear that, nor am I saying that what you heard was incorrect. What I do not respect is people who through out hearsay as fact, then ask other people to disprove them with real data. You started it, you do the research and show the facts.

Except it's not hearsay. And questioning it doesn't make it any less true. You or anyone else want to disprove it? Go ahead. My sources are good. And I don't need to publish another article to prove that. Makes less than no difference to me how that's received. The end.

All that being said, the OC is stupid-busy and needed help the second SJC opened, then needed more help the very minute that FV opened, and will need way more help even after BP and SA open. None of what TM has in store (as far as we know) will be sufficient to meet TODAY'S needs. No way will it be sufficient down the road.

All true. To reiterate what I typed above, what makes the OC different is the combination of three things:

1. Density as discussed.
2. Distance travel - the 405/5 starts getting bad just above the busiest land border crossing on the planet and doesn't get much better from there as one heads north.
3. Surprisingly poor planning and/or execution on the part of Southwest Region SC management. This was almost as big a miss as putting SCs at malls, and some would argue the OC bottleneck is the biggest failure on the continent along with the I-10 wasteland between Tucson and San Antonio. It's especially perplexing given the successes in the same region. Nothing kills word of mouth like inconsistency.

So the fix, fortunately, is straightforward in the short term, and, based upon all credible indicators, Tesla will solve the problem.

Big picture is more interesting - collectively, it really is an incredibly interesting challenge. My focus in all of this has been within the next 60 months. And within those next 60 months, Tesla is absolutely capable of staying ahead of and abreast of demand whether from density or distance or, as is the case with the OC, both.

Now what would be nice is a little municipal help and some directed government assistance (see recent federal announcement) toward infrastructure, while advances continue for faster charging.

So I went by a couple times this week. A fence went up about a week ago at the spot I thought most likely in late May, but it was hard to tell.

20160803_103919.jpg

The I noticed trenching inside the enclosure, about 10 feet out from the curb. It was a very long enclosure, suggesting that if this was going to be a supercharger installation it was going to consist of 8 or more spaces.

20160806_151913.jpg

Then today I came back and saw a lot more material inside the enclosure. A large shipment from Tesla had indeed arrived.

20160806_151935.jpg

There stood crates containing Supercharger units, six of them. This is going to be a 12-spot installation, and things are moving fast. From the location of the trenches I suspect they will be nose-in spots, which should make things easy for Modal X owners with bike racks sticking out of their trailer hitches.

Dan

Thanks for posting those pictures, @actualsize! I drove by this afternoon to do a little shopping and noticed the fencing up today. I had been assuming that they would be inside the structure (basically where all the equipment is staged) based on earlier conversations in this thread.

I wonder if the same crew doing Buena Park will be handling this one. The Service Center staff at Buena Park seemed to be very happy and hopeful with the new crew.

Has anyone been able to confirm whether the permit had been approved? I wasn't able to find it on the city website when it was first reported, but maybe that's changed.

;)
So I went by a couple times this week. A fence went up about a week ago at the spot I thought most likely in late May, but it was hard to tell.

View attachment 189013

The I noticed trenching inside the enclosure, about 10 feet out from the curb. It was a very long enclosure, suggesting that if this was going to be a supercharger installation it was going to consist of 8 or more spaces.

View attachment 189015

Then today I came back and saw a lot more material inside the enclosure. A large shipment from Tesla had indeed arrived.

View attachment 189016
There stood crates containing Supercharger units, six of them. This is going to be a 12-spot installation, and things are moving fast. From the location of the trenches I suspect they will be nose-in spots, which should make things easy for Modal X owners with bike racks sticking out of their trailer hitches.

Dan
I agree. Definitely nose-in. I just watched the same configuration go in at Lincoln City, OR. In my limited experience, (anectdotal, no other data, ;) to TJ) this passive design choice really does seem to decrease ICEing from ignorance. But that might be at the cost of some more frequent equipment damage. Just guessing.