Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ysabel, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2021, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gaswalla

Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery
Sep 23, 2012
San Diego
Tesla lists a future Supercharger in Santa Ysabel, CA at the 79 highway. This would serve folks traveling to/from Julian, CA.

Found the following permit from July 2020 with activity ongoing in the permit stages. Anyone able to go check out the area?

Project Description:
Cross Street: HWY 79 Description of Work: ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATION(S) - (TOTAL OF #8 STATIONS), UTILITY TRANSFORMER, SWITCHBOARD, SUPERCHARGER CABINETS, AND MEGAPACK BATTERY ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM.
caret_expanded.gif
More Details

minus_collapse.gif
Contacts

Owner on Application information

• JOHN FARKASH
    C/O TOWN & COUNTRY PROPERTY MANAG*P O BOX 265*RAMONA CA\
    RAMONA, CA, 92065
    Primary Phone:
    E-mail:
    [email protected]

PDS Plan Check Contact information

minus_collapse.gif
Application Information

APPLICATION INFORMATION
Primary Scope Code:
8009 - ACC - Electric Vehicle Charging Station - In office
Use:
Cross Street: HWY 79 Description of Work: ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATION(S) - (TOTAL OF #8 STATIONS), UTILITY TRANSFORMER, SWITCHBOARD, SUPERCHARGER CABINETS, AND MEGAPACK BATTERY ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM.
Secondary Scope Code 1:
8081 - ACC - Advanced Energy Storage System - In Office
Number of Buildings:
Housing Units:
Office:
Kearny Mesa
FICO:
No
Green Building Incentive Program:
No
HRA-BORA:
No
General Services:
No
Impact Fee Deferral:
No

EXPIRATION
Application Acceptance Date:
07/13/2020
Plan Check Expiration Date:
07/13/2021

GEO CODE INFORMATION
Populate Geo Codes?:
No
Date Populated:
07/13/2020
California Department of Forestry:
SRA
GIS Local Park Planning Area:
North Mountain
MSCP:
N/A
MSCP1 - Hardline Layer, Otay & Santa Fe:
MSCP2 - Preserved In Habitrak:
MSCP3 - PAMA Area:
303d Water:
Areas of Significant Biological Concern:
CEQA Review Required:
N/A
Environmentally Sensitive Area:
N/A
RARE Waters:
Watershed:
Tax Rate Area:
Tax Code:
N/A
Fire Agency:
CSA 135
Elementary School District:
GEN ELEM JULIAN UNION
High School District:
HIGH JULIAN UNION
Unified School District:
N/A
GIS Sanitation District:
N/A
Sanitation District:
N/A
County Water District:
N/A
Irrigation District:
N/A
Municipal Water District:
N/A
GIS Circulation Element:
ABUTS CIRCULATION ELEMENT
GIS Drainage District:
N/A
Floodplain (FEMA):
N/A
Floodway (FEMA):
N/A
GIS County Floodplain (DPW):
N/A

STORMWATER PRIORITY
Structural BMP Inspection Responsibility:
N/A

STRUCTURAL GEO CODE INFO
Alquist-Priolo Earthquake Fault Zone:
N/A
Fire Hazard Severity Zone:
High
CEC Climate Zone:

INSPECTION TRACKING
Tracking #:
minus_collapse.gif
Parcel Information

Parcel Number:
248-041-03-00

Ooh, nice catch! The Don's Market lot at the 78/79 split has had L2 for the past few years, most recently just a shared 6.6 kW ChargePoint unit, but when I was last up there a month or so ago the unit was powered off and the preceding few weeks of PlugShare reviews said it had been like that for a little while. It'd be really nice to have something to count on again deep into East County.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Ooh, nice catch! The Don's Market lot at the 78/79 split has had L2 for the past few years, most recently just a shared 6.6 kW ChargePoint unit, but when I was last up there a month or so ago the unit was powered off and the preceding few weeks of PlugShare reviews said it had been like that for a little while. It'd be really nice to have something to count on again deep into East County.

Don's is not part of the parcel number listed in that permit. It the small slice of land on the SW corner of the 78/79 intersection.

With a Megapack? What could that mean?
Tesla is starting to include some more battery installations alongside superchargers. The Megapack is Tesla's largest commercial/industrial battery storage product-- up to 1.5MW, 3MWh per unit. There are couple recent projects that have included plans for an added battery with the chargers. Other examples include the superchargers in Traver, CA; Concord, CA - The Willows; and Jackson, CA.

• Informative
Reactions: JustMe
Yeah, it's interesting that the permit references the parcel that has the restaurant at the corner, I would have expected the parking spots across from the Chargepoint stations, though there's only 7 parking spots there and no room for a Megapack along with the associated Supercharger cabinets. It'll be very interesting where they end up putting all this gear.

Link to Parcel Map: https://arcg.is/15zb9b1
Link to Google Map: Google Maps

Before the Chargepoint L2 stations, Don's Market hosted a Blink CHAdeMO station along with a few L2 stations. But they all eventually failed and no one wanted to pay to keep them running, so they were torn out. I imagine that Don's Market paid to put the Chargepoint stations in, so it's baffling to me as to why they'd be powered off.

It's really a nice place to stop and charge your car and pick up goodies at either Don's Market, Dudleys or Julian Pie Company.

We've owned property in Julian since November of last year. As a result, we've driven through this area +/- 50 times over the last 12 months. I've never needed a charge, but don't get me wrong, this will be fun to have.

"A lot of power outages" meaning more than zero annually? That would be a correct statement. SDG&E proactively cuts power to the region during extreme high wind events and/or active wild fires. They also cut power for a few hours at a time while conducting infrastructure upgrades. In my experience, annual planned and non-planned outages can be counted on 2 hands. It's not really that big of a deal. For example, spend some time in India and the power will go out more times there in a week than a full year in this region.

Meanwhile, with this Megapack thing, it's cool to know that it appears we'll have some backup in the 0.1% chance you're cruising through the area and absolutely MUST take a charge.

This is great. Before I got my upgraded LR Model X, my older performance Model X basically could not roundtrip from San Diego to Salton Sea and back. This is a good spot.

As to why the existing L2 chargers are falling apart, I would image COVID has bankrupted a lot of businesses in that area unfortunately.