Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Shelby, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I've found a utility location request for a site-design survey that might be for a future supercharger at the Shelby Best Western Inn & Suites right at the intersection of US-2 and I-15. I think it's right but, until there's some other confirmation, I'm ambivalent about whether it's enough for a blue dot on supercharge.info (see caveats below). Regardless, it's better to have discussion of possible Shelby locations in its own thread instead of scattered about in threads for other locations.

Caveats/Big pinches of salt:
  1. The utility location request doesn't list Tesla anywhere or say anything about EV charging, so I had to use some potentially erroneous logic to find it.
  2. Just because a site was surveyed doesn't mean that a supercharger will actually ever get built there. Sometimes Tesla drops one spot and moves on to another for any number of reasons. This sometimes happens well after surveys have been done.
  3. I haven't been able to find anything else that would confirm it, like a building permit application or a subsequent request for marking in preparation of digging.

Survey ticket #: 18105860
Address: 1948 W Roosevelt Hwy, Shelby, MT 59474

How I found it: By searching for the site design surveys done on the newly identified MT supercharger locations--Helena, Great Falls, Glendive, and Miles City--I found that they were all done within the last year and a bit by either Arrow Creek Survey Co. or Clark Land Surveying. Then, I searched for all surveys by either of those companies since Jan. 2018. On surveys done in relevant cities/areas, I looked to see whether the specific location might make sense as a supercharger and looked for any other connections in the ticket to tie it to the established site surveys.

Doing so I found 2 possibles, one for Forsyth and this one for Shelby. The Shelby ticket was a good match with the one from Helena--both were called for within about half an hour of each other on 2018-10-31 by the same contacts at Arrow Creek; they have identical descriptions for Type of Work ("PRE-SURVEY TO DESIGN") and nearly identical entries for Work Being Done For ("DESIGN TICKET" vs "DESIGN")--and the location at this type of hotel matches with some of the other locations that Tesla has chosen in the state.

Shelby Supercharger seems it will be located at:
441 11th Ave N, Shelby, MT 59474, United States

Meeting Schedule | City of Shelby, Montana

Page 15 indicates partial address
and Page 17 artist impression:
http://www.shelbymt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/11-04-19.pdf

Artist impression:
upload_2019-11-9_11-30-1.png

Pretty much same as users 360 photo on google maps:
Google Maps
upload_2019-11-9_11-31-12.png

Carousel Rest Area Shelby:
Google Maps
upload_2019-11-9_11-38-28.png

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

Good find! Now added. While it's highly likely this will be V3, there wasn't anything in the document to confirm, so I've left it blank for now.
You added it LITERALLY seconds before I was going to. I decided to check what the problem was and then I saw you had added it. This is a V3 Supercharger (see the visual representation), 2 cabinets for 8 stalls compared to 4 cabinets for 8 stalls.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Do people think there will be any more on this route? I tried plotting a route on ABRP from Fort MacLeod to Shelby using a M3 SR, 95% starting battery charge, -20 deg C temperature and 300 kg extra weight. It claimed it would make it with 5% left.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
You added it LITERALLY seconds before I was going to. I decided to check what the problem was and then I saw you had added it. This is a V3 Supercharger (see the visual representation), 2 cabinets for 8 stalls compared to 4 cabinets for 8 stalls.

Heh, I saw you had liked the original comment but not added it, and figured you were on a phone or tablet where adding a new entry was a pain!

I called the Best Western Shelby and they informed me that Tesla had decided not to place the Supercharger there.

Looks like Tesla did consider the Best Western spot (see the above quote from the Western Canada Superchargers thread), but dropped it in favor of a different location on a city lot. Thread for discussing the actual location: Supercharger - Shelby, MT

Do people think there will be any more on this route? I tried plotting a route on ABRP from Fort MacLeod to Shelby using a M3 SR, 95% starting battery charge, -20 deg C temperature and 300 kg extra weight. It claimed it would make it with 5% left.
I'm familiar with this area of Montana. You don't want to 'roadtrip' or travel in the cold and windy winters there ... unless you absolutely have to ... let alone take chance with running out of gas, electricity, etc. There is real danger in storms, white out driving conditions, etc.

Well it looks to only be 132 miles which is similar to a lot of distance between Superchargers.
It looked OK in a TM3 SR leaving at 95% SOC and 0F w/200 lbs extra weight. I'm not sure those are smart travel plans anyway.
There aren't any on the Tesla.com findus map.
NNOfIwc.jpg

gL28hvb.jpg

It doesn't looked great from Medicine Hat, AB Tesla Supercharger for that small of car battery, temps, weight, etc. Think spring, summer, fall travels :)

MBpyieB.jpg

Last edited:
You can top up at Lethbridge with a J1772 or Tesla Wall charger available there if you need an extra comfort margin. Milk River will have a J1772 (plus CHAdeMO+CCS) soon as well so you can check your consumption and if you think you are low going either direction you have a backup plan.

If you want to be comfortable with longer trips with a SR- you may want to get a CHAdeMO adapter, or better yet (hopefully one comes out before you need it) a CCS Combo adapter if Tesla ever releases one. There's an upcoming P2P (Peaks To Prairies) CHAdeMO/CCS Level 3 charger in Milk River that would be between Fort MacLeod and Shelby.

You may also want this to fill in the gaps between Calgary and Fort MacLeod, as there are P2P Level 3 chargers in Claresholm and Nanton (they also have J1772) and a Petro-Canada L3 charging station at Aldersyde.

Based on the Artist Impressions and user photo on Google Maps plus partial address
in Tesla agreement on City of Shelby website I believe this to be the location:
Carousel Rest Area of Shelby

I don't think the supercharger will be hosted by this business. From the picture it looks like the parking area between Pizza Hut and Carousel Rest Area of Shelby where the supercharger will be built is associated with a small city park. The Street View images are outdated for this area, but you can see the park in photos from 2015. Also, it looks like there is a large electric substation right across the road.

I don't think the supercharger will be hosted by this business. From the picture it looks like the parking area between Pizza Hut and Carousel Rest Area of Shelby where the supercharger will be built is associated with a small city park. The Street View images are outdated for this area, but you can see the park in photos from 2015. Also, it looks like there is a large electric substation right across the road.
I thought the artist impression picture within the Shelby city council document was a very good indication of the location.
here.com satellite map below is a little more current and googles or bings. Other map options: GeoHack - Shelby, Montana

b70exfv.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
Thanks for the info @scottf200 and @Xelloss99 ! I've been noticing the shorter distances between locations across the TCH and wondered if that may have applied here. As you say, nothing on Tesla's map yet. Perhaps something at Warner in the distant future...

The majority of gaps are now smaller. Tesla's been filling gaps on busier routes.
Density is needed for efficient travel.

But Shelby is also on US-2 and long-term Tesla will have to cover the US highways, so it has another reason to get one.

I thought the artist impression picture within the Shelby city council document was a very good indication of the location.
here.com satellite map below is a little more current and googles or bings. Other map options: GeoHack - Shelby, Montana

b70exfv.jpg

I agree that this is the correct location, but in my understanding this is the parking lot of the small city park to the west and isn't related to Carousel Rest Area of Shelby, which have a different parking area to the south.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I'm familiar with this area of Montana. You don't want to 'roadtrip' or travel in the cold and windy winters there ... unless you absolutely have to ... let alone take chance with running out of gas, electricity, etc. There is real danger in storms, white out driving conditions, etc.

Well it looks to only be 132 miles which is similar to a lot of distance between Superchargers.
It looked OK in a TM3 SR leaving at 95% SOC and 0F w/200 lbs extra weight. I'm not sure those are smart travel plans anyway.
There aren't any on the Tesla.com findus map.

It doesn't looked great from Medicine Hat, AB Tesla Supercharger for that small of car battery, temps, weight, etc. Think spring, summer, fall travels :)
Maybe eventually a new supercharger on the east side of Lethbridge? That would save ~30 miles (50 km), a pretty significantly improvement to the range considerations for both the drive to Shelby and the one to Medicine Hat.

I agree that this is the correct location, but in my understanding this is the parking lot of the small city park to the west and isn't related to Carousel Rest Area of Shelby, which have a different parking area to the south.

Actually all three of those parcels surrounded by the purple box (1 blue outlined and 2 yellow right below it) look like are owned (Primary Owner) by 'CITY OF SHELBY'.

Idf95wA.jpg

Shelby, MT

Along Primary Interstates: I-15
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-2
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-15:

To: End (Sweet Grass, MT) - 35.6 miles
Diversion: 1.3 miles

US-2:
To: Grand Forks, ND - 744.1 miles

To: Missoula, MT (I-15, US-89, MT-200, I-90) - 229 miles

To: Miles City, MT (US-2, MT-223, MT-80, MT-81, US-191, US-87, MT-200, MT-59) - 410.7 miles
To: Glendive, MT (US-2, MT-13, MT-200S, I-94) - 416.9 miles

To: Medicine Hat, AB (I-15/AB-4, AB-501, AB-879, AB-3, l) - 166.7 miles
To: Bassano, AB (I-15/AB-4, AB-36, AB-1) - 182.9 miles
To: Fort McLeod, AB (I-15/AB-4) - 131.9 miles

Together with Helena, MT, and Great Falls, MT, Shelby, MT will reduce the maximum Supercharger gap along I-15 to 121.5 miles,