Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sioux City, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Respectfully disagree, Sioux City should not be ignored just because you can plug into a 110 outlet and be good.

In the winter, Omaha to Sioux Falls is a huge leap for even 85kW cars depending on temp and wind.

Sioux City would also be useful for getting to Okoboji and Spencer. Both places have no fast charging infrastructure. In which a 110v wouldn’t even allow a return trip in a day of charging.

Regardless of having a family members house to charge at, a SC would be a great addition to promote EVs in even a not so traveled corridor by most who currently drive them.

Hoping this is done soon. We make a summer trip from Colorado to Okoboji every year, and I've been reluctant to take the Tesla because there's no level 2 in the Okoboji area.

Reactions: kwjayhawk
Hoping this is done soon. We make a summer trip from Colorado to Okoboji every year, and I've been reluctant to take the Tesla because there's no level 2 in the Okoboji area.

There's three Tesla homechargers listed on PlugShare in the Okoboji area, so there are people. Plus there are likely many NEMA 14-50 outlets at the various campgrounds surrounding the lakes.

Reactions: ry-ballz
Decided to email the Sioux City, IA contact today and I got this reply:
"
Jake:

The project has been approved by the city at 4500 Sergeant Rd – no electrical permits have been issued for the project.

Thank you"

I guess we just need to on the lookout for permits or construction at the Hy-Vee!

I emailed one of the permit persons and promptly received this reply: "The permit has not been issued – the review process has been completed."

So I don't know if the review process uncovered something that Tesla (probably their contractor) still needs to address or not -- no idea.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
I contacted Sioux City's permit guy and received this, "The permit has not been issued as we have not received an application from the electrical contractor. The documents have been reviewed and approved for some time now."
So it sounds like the electrical contractor hasn't submitted the paperwork, yet. I've asked the permit guy if he's allowed/willing to share who the contractor is.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I contacted Sioux City's permit guy and received this, "The permit has not been issued as we have not received an application from the electrical contractor. The documents have been reviewed and approved for some time now."
So it sounds like the electrical contractor hasn't submitted the paperwork, yet. I've asked the permit guy if he's allowed/willing to share who the contractor is.
We need to organize some sort of communication campaign to Tesla. This is getting ridiculous. Has to be one of the longest stretches of widely used interstate without a Supercharger. Makes travel even with our long range Model 3 difficult in the winter. Anyone have any ideas of how we could organize something?

Reactions: starman27
We need to organize some sort of communication campaign to Tesla. This is getting ridiculous. Has to be one of the longest stretches of widely used interstate without a Supercharger. Makes travel even with our long range Model 3 difficult in the winter. Anyone have any ideas of how we could organize something?

The permit guy wrote back, "that is someone you will be responsible for contracting." So it sounds like he thought I was Tesla (contractor) asking him for status check.

Are permits public records? If so, perhaps someone other than myself can make that request to him -- we can then ask the person(s) listed on the permit what the status of things are. I can PM the permit guy's name and contact information if someone wants to follow that route.

The permit guy wrote back, "that is someone you will be responsible for contracting." So it sounds like he thought I was Tesla (contractor) asking him for status check.

Are permits public records? If so, perhaps someone other than myself can make that request to him -- we can then ask the person(s) listed on the permit what the status of things are. I can PM the permit guy's name and contact information if someone wants to follow that route.
You can PM me the email and I can ask him.

Reactions: frnkblk
Sounds like Tesla hasn't hired their construction contractor yet and the building permit won't be finalized and issued until that happens and the GC's license and/or insurance is confirmed. Hopefully it's out to bid already and not that Tesla is waiting to move forward.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: frnkblk and jerry33
Communication break downs can cause two parties to each think the ball is in the other's court, so they each sit an wait. Hopefully that's not happening here. Hope too that the city's 'document approval' doesn't expire and cause a re-review.