Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St. Charles, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming the delays have been weather related, this next week of normal temperatures should allow good progress. Even yesterday there was still a big pile of snow pushed from the parking lot right where I think that buried cable would go.

We're heading thru Denver from Maryland and I'm thinking I have to take I-90 since I doubt the SC will be open by Mar. 21. I could charge at a Destination Charger in St. Louis but I don't think my timing will work out. We will probably stop overnight in the Columbus area (Grove City).

I-90 looked like a long way around when I ran the numbers. Check out PlugShare for other charging options in the St Louis area (as well as Columbia, MO -- there's one near a Stony Creek Hotel). If you have (or can borrow) a CHAdeMO adapter, the options look even better. If you have lots of time or another point of interest, I'm sure I-90 will be fun without having to think about charging.

I-90 looks like an extra day or two depending on timing. Without the Effingham SC I think I would go north to Bloomington anyway so I see it as an extra 600 miles. I might decide to go thru St Louis and stay at a friend's home using a 30 amp service. I think the elapsed days is about the same. Then there's the jump to Independence. Doable but the less stressful way is I-90. Since this is just the start of a trip to and up the west coast and back to Maryland, less stress in the beginning may be desirable. That means I'll do what makes my wife comfortable. She is great to travel with and I want to keep it that way!

For those of you heading to Denver looking for a charge between Springfield, IL and Independence (Kansas City), MO, you are welcome to stop at our house and use our HPWC. We are located in Wentzville, MO about 160 miles from Springfield and 195 miles from the SuperCharger in Independence. Just drop me a PM.

Last night about 6:00, I snapped this photo. You can see the Taco Bell power pole on the left with the electrical run going underground. The pole on the right (allegedly for Tesla) does not yet have power going underground.
WP_20150311_18_30_33_Pro.jpg

Tonight after work, I stopped by to see how much they did during the day. The same guy was standing over the same box of SC parts. Probably trying to decipher "insert tab A into slot B" ... I didn't see any additional progress. But, over by the power pole was a team of a half dozen workers with equipment used to push cables underground. I bet they will have power to the site sometime tomorrow. My guess is they probably didn't want to pour any concrete until the underground cable was in place. (Note, I'm not an electrician nor a construction worker so don't put too much weight on any of my speculations.)
workers.jpg