Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St George, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keeping my fingers crossed that St George will be operating by late June..............driving back to Las Vegas from a Chicago SC-only road trip, and really don't want to have to do the Moab, Blanding, Farmington, Gallup, Flagstaff loop on the way back.

Keeping my fingers crossed that St George will be operating by late June..............driving back to Las Vegas from a Chicago SC-only road trip, and really don't want to have to do the Moab, Blanding, Farmington, Gallup, Flagstaff loop on the way back.

It will be close, but as I have said other places, cutting over the sides of the 4-corners "S" can make for nice side trips and is break even or faster in time than doing the full "S". Flagstaff to Blanding has Tuba City and Gouldings in Monument Valley as safety nets, and Silverthorne to Farmington has 70 Amp J1772's in Salida and Pagosa Springs. The Salida J1772 is at Wood's High Mountain Distillery and is right downtown with lots to do, and the Pagosa Springs J1772 is at Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals with great accommodations in easy walking distance to restaurants and the Hot Springs. Call ahead to verify availability.

Step off the Supercharger Highway and enjoy some wonderful byways!

Last edited:
It will be close, but as I have said other places, cutting over the sides of the 4-corners "S" can make for nice side trips and is break even or faster in time than doing the full "S". Flagstaff to Blanding has Tuba City and Gouldings in Monument Valley as safety nets, and Silverthorne to Farmington has 70 Amp J1772's in Salida and Pagosa Springs. The Salida J1772 is at Wood's High Mountain Distillery and is right downtown with lots to do, and the Pagosa Springs J1772 is at Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals with great accommodations in easy walking distance to restaurants and the Hot Springs. Call ahead to verify availability.

Not suggesting that taking some of the routes you mention wouldn't be enjoyable, but if Frankrb is in a hurry, Beaver-LV should be doable non-stop with a bit of care, as it's 222 miles but downhill (about 4,000 foot loss). Saves about 350 miles from Crescent Junction compared to the Moab/Blanding/Farmington/Gallup/I-40 route.

Thanks, Cottonwood. I'll have to check our your suggestions......could be fun!

I would highly recommend the Blanding to Flagstaff shortcut. We did it both directions last month. It was the highlight or out trip...to be off the Tesla Supercharger Highway. I also recommend going thru Monument Valley as it cuts off 5.3 miles and is an incredibly scenic drive. I would not try to make it without stopping for a couple of hours to charge at a campground. We stopped both directions at the Quality Inn & campground in Tuba City, AZ. They have excellent 50amp service (28mph) in the campground that is right behind the Hotel. They did not charge us for the "juice", but I tipped them $10 and had excellent food in their restaurant. (Call ahead to make sure they are not full)

You can also charge at the Gouldings RV Park in Monument Valley,UT (50amp $10), Cottonwood RV Park in Bluff, UT and at the Cameron Trading Post, Cameron, AZ (30amp RV Plug only)

Please give yourself Lots of cushion as the last 25 miles of either direction involves a BIG climb. Plan, Plan, Plan...Check out the elevation on google maps elevation.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend the Blanding to Flagstaff shortcut. We did it both directions last month. It was the highlight or out trip...to be off the Tesla Supercharger Highway. I also recommend going thru Monument Valley as it cuts off 5.3 miles and is an incredibly scenic drive. I would not try to make it without stopping for a couple of hours to charge at a campground. We stopped both directions at the Quality Inn & campground in Tuba City, AZ. They have excellent 50amp service (28mph) in the campground that is right behind the Hotel. They did not charge us for the "juice", but I tipped them $10 and had excellent food in their restaurant. (Call ahead to make sure they are not full)

You can also charge at the Gouldings RV Park in Monument Valley,UT (50amp $10), Cottonwood RV Park in Bluff, UT and at the Cameron Trading Post, Cameron, AZ (30amp RV Plug only)

Please give yourself Lots of cushion as the last 25 miles of either direction involves a BIG climb. Plan, Plan, Plan...Check out the elevation on google maps elevation.

Thanks for the great info... Couple comments:
- Successful charging sites should be added to PlugShare to help others with planning.
- EV Trip Planner (evtripper.com) also has elevation info, and takes it into account to give an estimate of rated miles needed for a particular route, with elevation changes (both up and down) provided on the details tab.

Cottonwood, with further research, I don't see the 223 miles between Salida and Pagosa Springs as do-able option :(

What, that is a trip too far... My checking with Google Maps shows 140 miles from Pagosa to Salida, which should be very doable, Pagosa Springs, CO to Saida, CO - Google Maps. You have Poncha Pass and Wolf Creek Pass in between, but the net elevation change is pretty small; my experience is that if you leave regen in full, you get most of the climb energy back on the descent.. The real issue to be careful with is that the headwinds can sometimes get pretty strong heading south across the San Luis Valley from Saguache to South Fork. Give yourself some buffer!

The J1772 at Wood's High Mountain Distillery is inside a door. Call ahead to make sure they are open. The J1772 at "Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals serving downtown Pagosa Springs" is easy to get to 7/24, next to some very nice cabin rentals, and within walking distance of the hot springs and some restaurants.

What, that is a trip too far... My checking with Google Maps shows 140 miles from Pagosa to Salida, which should be very doable, Pagosa Springs, CO to Saida, CO - Google Maps. You have Poncha Pass and Wolf Creek Pass in between, but the net elevation change is pretty small; my experience is that if you leave regen in full, you get most of the climb energy back on the descent.. The real issue to be careful with is that the headwinds can sometimes get pretty strong heading south across the San Luis Valley from Saguache to South Fork. Give yourself some buffer!

The J1772 at Wood's High Mountain Distillery is inside a door. Call ahead to make sure they are open. The J1772 at "Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals serving downtown Pagosa Springs" is easy to get to 7/24, next to some very nice cabin rentals, and within walking distance of the hot springs and some restaurants.

Cottonwood, Thanks for the reply and additional tips. Guess I was reading Mapquest wrong. Looks like a great " scenic adventure ride" on our way back from Chicago

All this info on St. George is great, thanks for sharing. Living in Park City, we haven't ventured out onto the roads yet for the long trip and tried the whole supercharger network. Been planning a run down to LV, but was waiting for the last leg so it is a straight shot. Any news on when a charger and/or service station will be set up in SLC?

Bob.

All this info on St. George is great, thanks for sharing. Living in Park City, we haven't ventured out onto the roads yet for the long trip and tried the whole supercharger network. Been planning a run down to LV, but was waiting for the last leg so it is a straight shot. Any news on when a charger and/or service station will be set up in SLC?

Bob.

Supercharger - Nephi, UT is probably going to be the critical one for you. St George is also pretty important for the trip back.

Has anything changed in St George yet or are we still waiting for things to get started ?

The city's website still just shows that the permit was applied for April 11. Nothing after that. But a manager at the Fremont sales center told me this past weekend that he has seen emails suggesting some big SpC news within the next five weeks, so maybe there will be another push. Let's hope so.

From the Plan Review Coordinator:

"we've received the plans, and the plan review is reviewing the plans. The station probably won't start construction for awhile (maybe another month or so)."

Thanks Linux64 for the intel.