Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sulphur Springs, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thoughts about getting from the Sulphur Springs Charger to Texarkana and back without destination charging? I have to pick something up from there (in the city) and head back to Dallas some day. I know it is about 199-201 round trip. I have an 85 ... but it has almost 90K miles on it, so I am sure there is a dead cell or fifty ... Speed withstanding ...

No way I would risk it if I were you.

You could charge up in Texarkana.... PlugShare

But it will take a few hours likely to charge enough.

I have done 204 miles from Waco to Austin and back. Except one time at 104F with construction traffic crawling at 5mph through a 2 mile section, it made my life difficult. But other than one time I had no issues making that trip on one full charge and having 25 mile buffer remaining.

200 miles is doable, just keep the speeds to 65 mph and have a backup plan for charging, although i think you can do without that.

I have routinely made the trip from Frisco Texas to the Huntsville supercharger (198 miles) keeping with traffic on a full charge and always get the "keep it under ___" alarm when I pass Buc-cees in Madisonville. I have made it each time ... but twice with 0 on the meter. So it has been a pucker event. Now with an older car, I am less excited about it, but am still exploring my options.

That makes it 290 miles on a 85..I am finding that a bit hard to believe..

What was your wh/mile during those trip?

280 and 290 mile range is not out of the realm of possibility.

Feb. 2015, a group of North Texas Tesla owners traveled to Austin (to greet/support Elon for his visit to State Government officials at the Capital and to see a prototype Model X), and we all stopped at the Waco Supercharger.
It was 200 miles RT from Waco to Austin.

We all charged, traveled to Austin and returned to Supercharger in Waco (Collin Street Bakery), most of us has about 30 miles of remaining range when we pulled into Waco.

Except Jerry.

Who arrived with around 80 miles of remaining range.
Yes, he did arrive a bit later than the rest of us, but he surpassed all the rest of us by 50 miles of remaining range.
Same route, same day, same driving conditions, S85 (not a D), same car.

The point is this:
Effective/efficient driving techniques permit electric cars to go much further than what you might expect, it certainly opened my eyes what is possible to achieve in terms of mileage on a single charge.

Thoughts about getting from the Sulphur Springs Charger to Texarkana and back without destination charging? I have to pick something up from there (in the city) and head back to Dallas some day. I know it is about 199-201 round trip. I have an 85 ... but it has almost 90K miles on it, so I am sure there is a dead cell or fifty ... Speed withstanding ...

I don't know if you have already done this trip, but I'm on Plugshare in Mt Vernon with a 80AMP HPWC in case you run into heavy headwinds and/or are uncomfortable with the added 20 plus miles on back to Sulphur Springs. Just FYI.

Does anyone know if the Sulphur Spring Superchargers are working normally now? A few weeks ago someone indicated they were not charging correctly (i.e. would charge fine for 10 mins and then drop way down to almost nothing). I may be heading out there in the next day or so and would ideally like to have them working.

Thanks!

I was considering a jaunt out to Texarkana (from McKinney) this weekend, but am not going to chance it until that offline red circle slash symbol disappears ....

Per Google Maps;
Sulphur Springs to Texarkana is 100 miles
Lindale to Texarkana is 115 miles.

Slightly further, but probably still doable.

Especially if you can get a small supplemental charge somewhere along your destination or route, or you might need to drive a bit slower.

Or cut down to Shreveport (only 72.3 miles) from Texarkana, and zip back thru Lindale.

Last edited:
Per Google Maps;
Sulphur Springs to Texarkana is 100 miles
Lindale to Texarkana is 115 miles.

Slightly further, but probably still doable.

Especially if you can get a small supplemental charge somewhere along your destination or route, or you might need to drive a bit slower.

Or cut down to Shreveport (only 72.3 miles) from Texarkana, and zip back thru Lindale.

When you start talking about adding 72 miles to the trip, I think you've pretty much taken the concept of "jaunt" right out of the picture, no? :)

When you start talking about adding 72 miles to the trip, I think you've pretty much taken the concept of "jaunt" right out of the picture, no? :)

No, I am talking about COMPLETING a round trip, by whatever path necessary if Sulphur Springs Supercharger is not available for current use.
Granted, not the most direct route, but if someone can still achieve and complete a trip using superchargers (only), might not be too bad of a trip.

So the Options are:
** use Lindale Supercharger to get to Texarkana,
** find a Level 2 charger somewhere along the path or
** don't go to Texarkana.

No, I am talking about COMPLETING a round trip, by whatever path necessary if Sulphur Springs Supercharger is not available for current use.
Granted, not the most direct route, but if someone can still achieve and complete a trip using superchargers (only), might not be too bad of a trip.

So the Options are:
** use Lindale Supercharger to get to Texarkana,
** find a Level 2 charger somewhere along the path or
** don't go to Texarkana.

Well, words do mean things and the word "jaunt" specifically means "a short excursion or journey for pleasure", so yes, when you start talking about trying to get to Texarkana from McKinney by going through Shreveport, or even Lindale, you are no longer talking about short or pleasurable, so I stand by my initial statement, once you start talking about adding 50+ miles to the trip, the concept of "jaunt" has been thrown out the window. If you absolutely have to be in Texarkana, then yes, those are viable & necessary options, if you are thinking about a pleasure trip on a whim, then not so much.

Well, words do mean things and the word "jaunt" specifically means "a short excursion or journey for pleasure", so yes, when you start talking about trying to get to Texarkana from McKinney by going through Shreveport, or even Lindale, you are no longer talking about short or pleasurable, so I stand by my initial statement, once you start talking about adding 50+ miles to the trip, the concept of "jaunt" has been thrown out the window. If you absolutely have to be in Texarkana, then yes, those are viable & necessary options, if you are thinking about a pleasure trip on a whim, then not so much.

When driving my Model S.
DFW to Austin and back in a day would be a jaunt.
DFW to San Antonio and back in a day would be a jaunt.
DFW to Houston and back in a day would be a jaunt.
DFW to Texarkana and back in a day would be jaunt.
DFW to Shreveport and back in a day would be a jaunt.
DFW to OKC and back in a day would be a jaunt.
Anything (to me) that I can do RT in a day is a "jaunt".
The addition of 50 miles or so is inconsequential, as long as I have viable access to a Supercharger, and can accomplish it in a standard day.

DFW to Atlanta would be a trip, not a jaunt.
DFW to Denver would be a trip, not a jaunt.
DFW to St. Louis would be a trip, not a jaunt.
DFW to Albuquerque or Santa Fe would be a trip, not a jaunt.
DFW to Memphis (when they get a finally Supercharger) would still be a trip.
Anything (to me) that would require at least some duration of rest or an overnight stay is a trip.