Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 unveiling in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would expect the 80% SoC limit to only be in effect in areas with dense concentrations of superchargers where it would never be necessary to charge all the way to 100% to reach the next supercharger.

I’m also assuming that at some point in Q2 Tesla will only be deploying V3 superchargers for new locations. It would be nice to get confirmation of this though.

IMG_20190306_203041.jpg
IMG_20190306_204001.jpg

It looks like supercharger V3 should charge 20-80% on the LR Model 3 in somewhere between 14 and 20 minutes. Hard to know exactly what the taper curve looks like now, but even between 50-80% SoC i think it should average above 100kW. I think this means a LR should add 170 to 215 EPA miles in 15 minutes (215-270 NEDC) vs a Porsche advertising 0-80%/258 NEDC miles in 15 mins (c.180 EPA miles). I should note I think Porsche's marketing is based on starting at 0% state of charge which isn't ever likely to happen in practice; if they start instead at 20% Soc, Porsche miles per minute will be far lower.

I don't know if 250kW is the LR model 3 battery maximum as well as the supercharger maximum. 250kW corresponds to a peak 13.5 amps for each of the LR cells.

If this is the cell maximum, then the SR Model 3 20-80% charge time will be the same, but miles per minute charge will be lower as the battery pack will not be able to take the maximum 250kW (max would be c.170kW).

However, if 13.5 amps is not the max for model 3 cells, then SR could potentially take a max of 20 amps per cell, corresponding to maintaining a 250kW peak. This could make the SR miles per minute charge the same as LR, while the 20-80% charge time would be much faster (9-12 mins).

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla and Arpe
Oh I bet the whining by the S/X owners is defening.
Not at the prices shown on the charging status.

I am happy for the Model 3 owners. Tesla has a constant product technology improvement program. The latest product has the newest features. Once Model S and X are refreshed, they can be top dog again until the Roadster appears. The 2019 technology would charge from 100 miles SOC to 350 miles in 15 minutes with a 620 mile battery pack. If the Semi truck charge connector or a variation is used in the Roadster, then all bets are off on how fast it will be.

Last edited:
V3 should charge 20-80% on the LR Model 3 in somewhere between 14 and 20 minutes.
20 minutes implies an average power of 135 kW. I think it is fair to guess that the taper will be the same from ~ 50%. Currently by the data I collected when my car was new :

96 kW at 50%
50 kW at 80%

If I figure 75 kW average for the 50% - 80% segment, that takes 18 minutes*. Your calc is way optimistic.

75 kWh battery
30% SoC is 75*0.3 = 22.5 kWh
Time = 22.5 kwh/75 kW = 0.3 hours = 18 minutes

Not at the prices shown on the charging status.

I am happy for the Model 3 owners. Tesla has a constant product technology improvement program. The latest product has the newest features. Once Model S and X are refreshed, they can be top dog again until the Roadster appears. The 2019 technology would charge from 100 miles SOC to 350 miles in 15 minutes with a 620 mile battery pack. If the Semi truck charge connector or a variation is used in the Roadster, then all bets are off on how fast it will be.
Agree completely but for a customer base that considers themself early adopters, I’ve found it amazing how fast many here will throw out all rules of technology progression and pricing and revert to entitled “Elon owes me”.

Reactions: PDX-JP
20 minutes implies an average power of 135 kW. I think it is fair to guess that the taper will be the same from ~ 50%. Currently by the data I collected when my car was new :

96 kW at 50%
50 kW at 80%

If I figure 75 kW average for the 50% - 80% segment, that takes 18 minutes*. Your calc is way optimistic.

75 kWh battery
30% SoC is 75*0.3 = 22.5 kWh
Time = 22.5 kwh/75 kW = 0.3 hours = 18 minutes

First taper curve now available:
15-80% within 24 min.

Here is my supercharger v2 vs v3 chart. 15-80% within 24 min feels unreal. : teslamotors
Tesla supercharger v2 vs v3

Note, I would expect Tesla's initial taper curve to be conservative until they get more data. I wouldn't be surprised to see the taper start to be pushed further in the coming months.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
So at one hand Tesla is rolling out these v3 SC's but then we also have the Urban SC's that are also getting launched. Here is what they look like as they just got installed in my parking garage but still haven't been turned on yet. These also don't share power across adjacent stalls and the Tesla engineer that I ran into said that they are darn fast! (whatever that translates into.. Lol)

Has anyone experienced these Urban SC's anywhere? And what are their specs?
72kw fast perhaps

Very doubtful. This *is* the pushed taper curve. This already exceeds any reasonable expectations for the Model 3 battery.

The current curve is at max until 45-50% SoC, this new curve starts dropping off at 16%.
I would be surprised if they didn’t manage to push that 16% at least a few % further in the future.
There is only so much research they can do in the lab and with test cars so they would have to be conservative with a new product. But with thousands of cars charging every day I’m sure they can get more confidence on the taper curve.

This is a huge improvement. Charging time from 8-75% reduced from ~45 min to ~24 min. :)
Your link shows this graph

upload_2019-3-7_8-28-34.png

If true then the improvement is phenomenal. It suggests that on long trips the average recharging rate after the start of day charge is depleted will be ~ 165 kW for the half of the battery used most wisely (16% - 65%) to hop from one SC to another.

Translated:
Drive 2 hours at ~ 70 mph
Stop for 14 minutes to charge
Repeat
134 minutes every 140 miles
63 mph throughput speed after the start charge is used.

I’m fine being corralled off with my riff-raff brethren. I just worried that this 80% feature was going to be more widely deployed. Time will tell.
Joking aside, you have a valid point but it is not related to the SC V3 announcement. An obvious way to deal with congestion is to limit charging to 80% SoC. I'm sure that Tesla is aware that sometimes charging above 80% SoC is reasonable behavior by the driver. I imagine that reserving a fraction of stations for charging over 80% will be allowed. And your problem will be somewhat self-solving as Supercharger density improves in areas that have high Supecharger occupancy currently. Locations that are not packed with cars will allow charging to 100%.

Reactions: Sean Wagner