Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 unveiling in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the charge rate is so slow past 80% you’re better off just driving slower anyway.
I think some folks miss Mike's point. While driving slower might be ok for some people, this won't work for me. For my personal taste, (by having driven coast to coast more than 4 times), I prefer to get to the next stop faster so I can spend more time OUT OF THE CAR to exercise, eat, bathroom break, and other things. Driving slower just means more time sitting in the car and having to focus on driving. Not good for us older folks. In practically every situation where I have driven for over 3 hour and then needed to stop to charge, I was taking 30-40 minutes to do things away from the car and didn't mind that it took that long to get to 80% plus. Some times I want 90% to get to the next station, AND get there at the speed limit of 80 mph.

There is the rare occasion where I stop just to charge and then keep moving, so it might be nice to save a few minutes to get a faster 75 miles or so of charge. but I am usually not at the charger very long anyway. So what I am getting to here is that for me, I don't care about the V3 right now. In fact, if it charges my car that fast and I have no control over reducing the rate, then I might spend more time at a charger by going back out to the car to move it away from the charger to avoid idle fees, only to go back inside an establishment to do other things. :D

IIn practically every situation where I have driven for over 3 hour and then needed to stop to charge, I was taking 30-40 minutes to do things away from the car
I'll never understand this. I want to get to my destination. With my former ICE cars, I have driven many times from the Bay Area to LA with just one 10-minute break and another 5-minute pitstop to pick up a coffee to go. Those 45 minute supercharging sessions since I have my Model 3 always feel endless and annoying to me.

Reactions: Ulmo
I think some folks miss Mike's point. While driving slower might be ok for some people, this won't work for me. For my personal taste, (by having driven coast to coast more than 4 times), I prefer to get to the next stop faster so I can spend more time OUT OF THE CAR to exercise, eat, bathroom break, and other things. Driving slower just means more time sitting in the car and having to focus on driving. Not good for us older folks. In practically every situation where I have driven for over 3 hour and then needed to stop to charge, I was taking 30-40 minutes to do things away from the car and didn't mind that it took that long to get to 80% plus. Some times I want 90% to get to the next station, AND get there at the speed limit of 80 mph.

There is the rare occasion where I stop just to charge and then keep moving, so it might be nice to save a few minutes to get a faster 75 miles or so of charge. but I am usually not at the charger very long anyway. So what I am getting to here is that for me, I don't care about the V3 right now. In fact, if it charges my car that fast and I have no control over reducing the rate, then I might spend more time at a charger by going back out to the car to move it away from the charger to avoid idle fees, only to go back inside an establishment to do other things. :D
I think they should allow people who want to use crowded superchargers as parking spots or trickle chargers to do so as long as they pay the idle fees. That should help raise funds for expanding the supercharger network. Hopefully their algorithm for determining which superchargers are crowded works well.
80mph is surely the maximum speed limit and not the lower limit, so slowing to just 75mph would allow you to make it to the next supercharger with an 80% charge instead of 90%.
I doubt V3 supercharging being too fast is something we'll have to worry about too soon. Who knows how they're going to deploy them.

Am i the only one who doesn't really care that much about doubling the power if we still taper down to <75 kW after 50% SoC? Super curious to learn about the taper behavior.
nope. I am with you on that. If you saw my other post, the V2 superchargers are more often TOO FAST for me on long trips. I often have to go out to move the car in the middle of my lunch or dinner to avoid idle fees after it finishes charging. However, I do understand there are a large number of people that will like this and benefit from it.

80mph is surely the maximum speed limit and not the lower limit, so slowing to just 75mph would allow you to make it to the next supercharger with an 80% charge instead of 90%.
Right about 80 being the max. That is the northern I80 and 70 route I usually take. But no, travelling at 75 is no benefit for me. I've tried it. As I mentioned, the car can still get to 90% before I am ready to leave anyway, so it is no extra wasted time to me. Obviously different folks like different experiences and driving styles :)

Your link shows this graph

View attachment 383882

If true then the improvement is phenomenal. It suggests that on long trips the average recharging rate after the start of day charge is depleted will be ~ 165 kW for the half of the battery used most wisely (16% - 65%) to hop from one SC to another.

Translated:
Drive 2 hours at ~ 70 mph
Stop for 14 minutes to charge
Repeat
134 minutes every 140 miles
63 mph throughput speed after the start charge is used.
That gap between the new curve and the old curve from 50% up to about 80% is huge in terms of how long it takes to charge. Maintaining 100kW until 64% is a very meaningful number of minutes shaved off of the charge time, just by itself. Why I had only expected about 5 min of savings rather than the near 10 min we're likely to see.

Reactions: kbecks13

I’m sure they didn’t have the charging fees active for this event. I don’t see them inviting people and then charging them money to charge. So more than likely that amount you see there was from a previous charge session the owner did, even though it says current session above.

Also if you look in the FAQ of the supercharge page on Tesla’s web it says pricing will remain the same.

I'll never understand this. I want to get to my destination. With my former ICE cars, I have driven many times from the Bay Area to LA with just one 10-minute break and another 5-minute pitstop to pick up a coffee to go. Those 45 minute supercharging sessions since I have my Model 3 always feel endless and annoying to me.

A good point eno. I agree if making the same 7 hour trip you refer. What I am talking about is when I am taking a multi-day trip coast to coast and in the car for 8-9 hours every day, then it gets very tiring if I don't take long breaks at a charging stop. Maybe that is why you are not understanding it ;) Maybe you are a bit younger than me. I don't like those 10 minute pee and go trips. I get there too tired. When I was a lot younger, I would do that.

Bottom line, I have noticed that at the end of a long day of driving, I am not anywhere near as tired when I have taken those long breaks after every 3-4 hours of driving. It adds up when on the road every day for a long trip. I may not be able to travel as many miles in a day, but I am ok with that. I enjoy the trip more. I understand that some folks want to get there as quickly as possible with as short stops as they can. I'm just not the drink, pee and go type.

Last edited:
Reactions: HookBill and ohmman

You will appreciate them when you're older. When I was 50 I felt the same way. Now at 68 I really appreciate these forced stops. Stops me from getting so stiff in the driving position that it can be difficult to get out. During my trips westbound my car tells me to slow down to make my destination without having to charge; pfffft.

You will appreciate them when you're older. When I was 50 I felt the same way. Now at 68 I really appreciate these forced stops. Stops me from getting so stiff in the driving position that it can be difficult to get out.
Stiff or not, I get out to stretch and walk around for 5 minuts every 2-3 hours. As a physician I have seen too many pulmonary embolii in people that do not.

You will appreciate them when you're older. When I was 50 I felt the same way. Now at 68 I really appreciate these forced stops. Stops me from getting so stiff in the driving position that it can be difficult to get out. During my trips westbound my car tells me to slow down to make my destination without having to charge; pfffft.
amen. You get it. I'm 69. Maybe we are just old Reno folks :D and those young whipper snappers can do it.