TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger v3

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by paulp, Mar 6, 2019.

1. paulp

paulp Active Member

120km per 5min
    1600km per hour
    250kw
    (Porsche are 350kw but slower)
    New liquid cable improves efficiency 25%
    New battery preconditioner software before arrival improves efficiency 25%
    Max power will deliver tomeach stall regardless of occupancy of other stalls.
    Only model 3 now, S and X ‘soon’
    Australia rollout Q4 2019

• Like x 1
  2. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

*sugar* that is quick
    Great news

3. Icey

Icey Member

Nice and fast! However I'm not sure what they can do fo 75D owners to make it faster. 96kw is about the limit for a 350v system with 18650's

FREE UPGRADES TO 100kWh PACKS!..... I'm hoping ;)

4. paulp

paulp Active Member

Lets wait and see what the engineers come up with. Simply pre-conditioning the battery is a big part of it, however tesla have said that the additional speed is model 3 only at this stage, with s and x to follow soon, so yes there may be a battery type challenge to solve.

• Like x 1
  5. Vostok

Vostok Member

Is this too good to be true?? I’m seriously impressed if they have worked out a way to do this without cooking the battery or materially impacting its longevity.

6. mike_j

mike_j Member

I am hoping that they have been holding off on new superchargers until this is ready - and the floodgates are about to open on new AU superchargers V3 with CCS cables.

7. Hovean

Hovean Member

Where did you hear about "Australia rollout Q4 2019"?

8. paulp

paulp Active Member

9. paulp

paulp Active Member

Just noticed that they are unlocking 145 kw on v2 superchargers over coming weeks. Unsure if thats for the fleet or only model 3. Reads like its for the entire fleet.

10. djayz

djayz Member

I wonder materially how much of a difference V3 will make though when so much of the SC fleet (especially in Oz) has already been built that the V3 sites will be massively outnumbered by V2.

If they said all new SCs will be V3 them it would be awesome still, however from what I’ve read most future SC will still mostly be V2 apart from “select” sites (probably the busiest).

11. Mark E

Mark E Member

It won’t make much difference for the existing fleet unless the tapers change considerably.

12. paulp

paulp Active Member

It will take time, and australia will not be a priority. Our market is too small.

13. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

Hot SC cables

Has anyone noticed how hot the cables get on hot days? Almost too hot to handle. I have also noticed phenolic resin decomposition smell. Tesla would have to address cooling if they intend to upgrade these installations as power losses increase as the square of current.

14. paulp

paulp Active Member

V3 will have liquid cooled cables that are noticably smaller, and add 25% efficiency

15. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

I'm more than happy with 120kw charging, the tweet from Elon below is a pleasant surprise for early car owners a little more time limited,

Latest software improves Tesla Supercharger times by up to 25% for all Tesla S/X/3 worldwide, incl original 2012 Model S. Not splitting power across 2 Supercharger stalls helps all cars up to 50%

• Like x 1
  16. paulp

paulp Active Member

Fairly certain that the 25% gain is battery pre-conditioning, and presumably it measured from extreme cold. Accordingly if your battery is already close to optimum temperature, this gain will likely be minimal....I think.
    The non-splitting is for V3 hardware. It’s some new electronics in the main cabinet.

• Like x 1
  17. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

I thought this was in the context of urban superchargers, e.g. new highway sites would be v3, new urban sites would be v2 urban?

Considering we don't have urban superchargers in Australia (and probably won't - they don't have space for a CCS2 cable) I would think this would mean all new sites would be v3?

18. miimura

miimura Active Member

V2 Superchargers will also be unlocked from 120kW to 145kW when only one car is charging per cabinet. S & X with 100kWh packs can easily use this extra power. 60, 75, 85 packs, maybe not so much.

19. djayz

djayz Member

I hope that ends up being the case but Elon was quoted saying that the just deployed V3 site in Fremont is a “beta test” site and will be analysed over the next 6 months to see how different cars respond to different charge cycles before they start deploying elsewhere. So I suspect most of the SC sites worldwide planned for 2019 will probably still be V2.

20. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

See the end of this article from Tesla, states first non-beta V3 breaks ground next month and rolling out worldwide across 2019, including Asia Pacific:

Introducing V3 Supercharging

• Informative x 1