Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger v3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
120km per 5min
1600km per hour
250kw
(Porsche are 350kw but slower)
New liquid cable improves efficiency 25%
New battery preconditioner software before arrival improves efficiency 25%
Max power will deliver tomeach stall regardless of occupancy of other stalls.
Only model 3 now, S and X ‘soon’
Australia rollout Q4 2019

Reactions: Watts_Up
Nice and fast! However I'm not sure what they can do fo 75D owners to make it faster. 96kw is about the limit for a 350v system with 18650's

FREE UPGRADES TO 100kWh PACKS!..... I'm hoping ;)
Lets wait and see what the engineers come up with. Simply pre-conditioning the battery is a big part of it, however tesla have said that the additional speed is model 3 only at this stage, with s and x to follow soon, so yes there may be a battery type challenge to solve.

Reactions: Icey
120km per 5min
1600km per hour
250kw
(Porsche are 350kw but slower)
New liquid cable improves efficiency 25%
New battery preconditioner software before arrival improves efficiency 25%
Max power will deliver tomeach stall regardless of occupancy of other stalls.
Only model 3 now, S and X ‘soon’
Australia rollout Q4 2019
Where did you hear about "Australia rollout Q4 2019"?

I wonder materially how much of a difference V3 will make though when so much of the SC fleet (especially in Oz) has already been built that the V3 sites will be massively outnumbered by V2.

If they said all new SCs will be V3 them it would be awesome still, however from what I’ve read most future SC will still mostly be V2 apart from “select” sites (probably the busiest).

I wonder materially how much of a difference V3 will make though when so much of the SC fleet (especially in Oz) has already been built that the V3 sites will be massively outnumbered by V2.

If they said all new SCs will be V3 them it would be awesome still, however from what I’ve read most future SC will still mostly be V2 apart from “select” sites (probably the busiest).
It will take time, and australia will not be a priority. Our market is too small.

Hot SC cables

Has anyone noticed how hot the cables get on hot days? Almost too hot to handle. I have also noticed phenolic resin decomposition smell. Tesla would have to address cooling if they intend to upgrade these installations as power losses increase as the square of current.
V3 will have liquid cooled cables that are noticably smaller, and add 25% efficiency

I'm more than happy with 120kw charging, the tweet from Elon below is a pleasant surprise for early car owners a little more time limited,

Latest software improves Tesla Supercharger times by up to 25% for all Tesla S/X/3 worldwide, incl original 2012 Model S. Not splitting power across 2 Supercharger stalls helps all cars up to 50%

Reactions: Mark E
I'm more than happy with 120kw charging, the tweet from Elon below is a pleasant surprise for early car owners a little more time limited,

Latest software improves Tesla Supercharger times by up to 25% for all Tesla S/X/3 worldwide, incl original 2012 Model S. Not splitting power across 2 Supercharger stalls helps all cars up to 50%
Fairly certain that the 25% gain is battery pre-conditioning, and presumably it measured from extreme cold. Accordingly if your battery is already close to optimum temperature, this gain will likely be minimal....I think.
The non-splitting is for V3 hardware. It’s some new electronics in the main cabinet.

Reactions: Tension

I thought this was in the context of urban superchargers, e.g. new highway sites would be v3, new urban sites would be v2 urban?

Considering we don't have urban superchargers in Australia (and probably won't - they don't have space for a CCS2 cable) I would think this would mean all new sites would be v3?

I thought this was in the context of urban superchargers, e.g. new highway sites would be v3, new urban sites would be v2 urban?

Considering we don't have urban superchargers in Australia (and probably won't - they don't have space for a CCS2 cable) I would think this would mean all new sites would be v3?

I hope that ends up being the case but Elon was quoted saying that the just deployed V3 site in Fremont is a “beta test” site and will be analysed over the next 6 months to see how different cars respond to different charge cycles before they start deploying elsewhere. So I suspect most of the SC sites worldwide planned for 2019 will probably still be V2.

I hope that ends up being the case but Elon was quoted saying that the just deployed V3 site in Fremont is a “beta test” site and will be analysed over the next 6 months to see how different cars respond to different charge cycles before they start deploying elsewhere. So I suspect most of the SC sites worldwide planned for 2019 will probably still be V2.
See the end of this article from Tesla, states first non-beta V3 breaks ground next month and rolling out worldwide across 2019, including Asia Pacific:

Introducing V3 Supercharging

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq