Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vernon, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nostalgia! This silly figure was on the transformer outside my childhood house in Fortis land.
1629821426542.png

Could the delay have been with Fortis having had to put in a utility-scale transformer for the area to support growing demand before this specific charging station could move ahead?

How big would you expect a transformer supplying 3.3 MW to be?

I was going to get a picture, but as I noted above the truck is gone now. :)

How did you arrive at 3.3 MW? (Rhetorical question; you did (250*12) + (75*4), which seems logical but is incorrect)

Each V3 Supercharger cabinet has a maximum grid input of 350 kVA. Most 12-stall V3 sites get a 1,000 kVA transformer (1 MW). Even with the four Flo units added, you're at 1,350 kVA. I would expect a 1,500 kVA transformer although it wouldn't surprise me if they called it good enough with a 1,000.

Last edited:
How did you arrive at 3.3 MW? (Rhetorical question; you did (250*12) + (75*4), which seems logical but is incorrect)

Yup, it was supposed to be 3.2.

Each V3 Supercharger cabinet has a maximum grid input of 350 kVA. Most 12-stall V3 sites get a 1,000 kVA transformer (1 MW). Even with the four Flo units added, you're at 1,350 kVA. I would expect a 1,500 kVA transformer although it wouldn't surprise me if they called it good enough with a 1,000.

So the maximum of 250 kW cannot be achieved simultaneously at more than a fraction of the stalls?

Yup, it was supposed to be 3.2.

So the maximum of 250 kW cannot be achieved simultaneously at more than a fraction of the stalls?

It's complicated and depends on the installation. 4 stalls are fed by one cabinet, but all (up to 7) cabinets can share power with one another via a DC bus (up to a limit - 575 kW?). So yes, more than 250 kW can be achieved at multiple stalls simultaneously depending on the configuration and the maximum AC input for the site, assuming the site has no solar or battery storage. If the site does have solar and/or battery storage, that adds to the available power on the DC bus.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
From Western Canadian Supercharger thread

Beat me to it! I noticed there were people working on it this afternoon after 5, right up until 10pm.

View attachment 702807
Those are the Tesla contracted supercharger installers, not Hydro guys, which makes sense because unless it is an emergency they wouldn't be working after hours :)

When I chatted with those guys at Cache Creek they said someone else from back east needed to fly out to approve the install. He probably will make a big swing and check Merritt, Cache Creek, Vernon, and maybe Salmon Arm at the same time. Then swing up to Williams Lake and PG?
Just guessing here.

Now I wonder if Hydro can just install the transformer and turn it on, or if the Tesla electrician needs to finalize the connections after that again. So where is the final "on switch"; in the Tesla cabinets? @Big Earl ? If so I don't think BCHydro has access to them, so they would have to install the transformer and then another visit by Tesla electricians to finally turn them on?

edit: looks like he is already here Supercharger - Salmon Arm, BC

Those are the Tesla contracted supercharger installers, not Hydro guys, which makes sense because unless it is an emergency they wouldn't be working after hours :)

When I chatted with those guys at Cache Creek they said someone else from back east needed to fly out to approve the install. He probably will make a big swing and check Merritt, Cache Creek, Vernon, and maybe Salmon Arm at the same time. Then swing up to Williams Lake and PG?
Just guessing here.

Now I wonder if Hydro can just install the transformer and turn it on, or if the Tesla electrician needs to finalize the connections after that again. So where is the final "on switch"; in the Tesla cabinets? @Big Earl ? If so I don't think BCHydro has access to them, so they would have to install the transformer and then another visit by Tesla electricians to finally turn them on?
A person from Tesla Energy will activate the Superchargers during the final commissioning process. The power switches for each stall are located behind the small lockable cover on each Supercharger cabinet. Each cabinet also has its own disconnect switch in the switchgear panel (or an external disconnect, depending on site configuration). Tesla will likely send someone out to commission all of the new sites at the same time.

Or with a 750kVA…. Who knows with BCH. Transformers can be peak loaded at 125%. The chances of peak load (all stations at full power) is essentially 0.

When I was involved in building a new manufacturing facility in Surrey with 1600A 600V main switch gear. BC Hydro only installed a 750 kVA. We blew it up within 24 months as our sustained demand was around 1000 kVA. When talking with the BCH linemen they said that this is extremely normal for them to do this. We luckily got a 1500 kVA as it was the only size close enough in the lot.

You called it :)
72D88799-C57B-416C-83E3-556DB1501AEF.jpeg

This is the one from Salmon arm

Here’s a couple more from the FLO fast dc chargers for interest sake
View attachment 702931
View attachment 702932
With those Flo units only being 125 amps, Tesla’s charging superiority is really going to be on display at these locations. Imagine charging your non-Tesla long range EV for over an hour at <50 kW and watching Teslas come and go every 20 minutes at over 150 kW average.

More free advertising.