Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Waterloo, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that some sites use the the precast bases while others are wet poured on site. You would think many of the wet pour locations would be well suited for the precast bases.
This site was listed as Q1 target open. I’m guessing the construction will go fairly quickly but final commissioning by Memorial Weekend. I won’t be disappointed if its open by mother’s day though 😉
I’m not aware of the steps needed before chargers can actually be ready to use. As someone said earlier, the construction part should take about 3 weeks, which would mean about another 2 weeks of that part left. Does anyone know how long after that before they are working? Does this ‘commissioning’ mean they need to be calibrated, or programmed, and tested by Tesla?

I’m not aware of the steps needed before chargers can actually be ready to use. As someone said earlier, the construction part should take about 3 weeks, which would mean about another 2 weeks of that part left. Does anyone know how long after that before they are working? Does this ‘commissioning’ mean they need to be calibrated, or programmed, and tested by Tesla?
All the above. And unfortunately, construction finishing isn't much of an indicator of how soon the charger will go live. Much depends on the local electric utility delivering a transformer and getting that hooked up--and that can take weeks or months. Mind you, construction beginning is a really good sign, especially at this time of year (as opposed to the fall where foul weather can slow things down). But it's difficult to extrapolate when a charger will be ready by looking at the construction progress.

All the above. And unfortunately, construction finishing isn't much of an indicator of how soon the charger will go live. Much depends on the local electric utility delivering a transformer and getting that hooked up--and that can take weeks or months. Mind you, construction beginning is a really good sign, especially at this time of year (as opposed to the fall where foul weather can slow things down). But it's difficult to extrapolate when a charger will be ready by looking at the construction progress.
Wow, weeks or months! Well that sucks! Maybe they would put a rush on this project, since it was originally slated to be completed in 2020? Lol, I can hope I guess. Thanks for the info anyway!

Looks like they have a pre-fab version for faster installs. Might be sooner rather than later!

1FC724A5-B172-4B2E-A300-F8F37F29E451.jpeg

Stopped by the Waterloo Hy-Vee at lunch today. Looks like they are backfilling after pouring the bases and putting in the underground conduit. I didn’t see any of the cabinets on site.

Hopefully by Summer the Waterloo and Sioux City locations are open. Really hope that Fort Dodge is also a future location as come winter time Waterloo to Sioux City is pushing it for range in the cold.
Great idea. I agree, if there was to be just one more location in Iowa, it should be around there. That center stretch can be hard in the cold. Sadly after all the attention we are getting now, I doubt we will see expansions around here for quite some time.

There are a couple of DCFCs in Fort Dodge, and one in Early. The one in Early and one of the Ft. Dodge chargers go up to 150kw according to PlugShare, but I believe Tesla limits the charge rate on non-SuperCharger chargers to 50kw. It's only 213 miles from Waterloo to Sioux City, so you wouldn't have to stop to charge very long to get enough of a boost to make it, even at the slower charge rate. Tesla's Chademo adapter is $400, and while they haven't released a CCS adapater yet, there are some third party adapters out now that seem to mostly work.

Hmm. So, are the chargers to be angled? (i.e., rather than perpendicular to the traffic flow). That means to back into a charging spot, one will have to drive the wrong way down the row. Hope there isn't too much traffic on that row or it could be frustrating. At the SC in St. Louis Park, MN the chargers are right by one of the two entrances to the parking lot. Backing into a charger spot can be tricky if there's another car coming in behind you as you come into the lot.

Reactions: starman27
Hmm. So, are the chargers to be angled? (i.e., rather than perpendicular to the traffic flow). That means to back into a charging spot, one will have to drive the wrong way down the row. Hope there isn't too much traffic on that row or it could be frustrating. At the SC in St. Louis Park, MN the chargers are right by one of the two entrances to the parking lot. Backing into a charger spot can be tricky if there's another car coming in behind you as you come into the lot.
It appears in the pics that the traffic in that row goes towards Hy Vee. That would be perfect for backing into these SC spots.
I agree with you about the St. Louis Park SC’s. They are right by an entrance to Target, and also by a truck loading area, as I had to deal with last time I was there.
I sure hope these Waterloo SC’s can be operational by Mother’s Day, but seeing the progress between the April 7th photo and these April 14th photos, I don’t have much hope in that.

Reactions: starman27
Ignore the blue parking lines. The stalls will be angled the other way, i.e. a clockwise rotation of ~60 deg. from those blue lines. It's a bit hard to picture, but I made an explainer MS Paint drawing for a similar install at a different location. I'll post the image below, but understand that at that other location the stalls were on the opposite side of the aisle, and in flipping it the drawing lost some of its panache. So, no comments on my artistic abilities, or lack thereof :). The point is that this layout will maintain the current one-way driving lane.

The grey lines will be the final parking layout after they are done re-striping. The pink dashes are the existing (blue) lines that will be removed. Red ovals = supercharger posts, green line = charging cable. The blue Model 3 is obviously parked back-in. If you're having trouble seeing how the cars will get into the spaces like that, see this comment from the other thread.

Waterloo, IA layout.png

St. Louis Park is almost dangerous. I've only charged there a couple times but it's a shame they couldn't have put that row of stalls in a quieter section of the parking lot.

St. Louis Park is almost dangerous. I've only charged there a couple times but it's a shame they couldn't have put that row of stalls in a quieter section of the parking lot.
Yes, I do wish they had put it on the other side of the west entrance. That parking area only gets used at Xmas time, there's no traffic going through that area normally, etc. Probably would have been more expensive though because they would have had to run power lines under the driveway.