Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Willcox, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CONTACT!!

It is proposed to be located at the Holiday Inn Express Willcox AZ. No permits have been submitted yet. So far, just a site review as plans/permits and the like are forthcoming. Timeframe unknown. >>>>>> Some very, very sketchy information about a possible Deming MN supercharger location. 5R Truck stop Deming NM. ...again, I'm trying to find anything I can, anyway I can and this is all that I found out!

Last edited:
CONTACT!!

It is proposed to be located at the Holiday Inn Express Willcox AZ. No permits have been submitted yet. So far, just a site review as plans/permits and the like are forthcoming. Timeframe unknown.

Great news. Thanks for posting. That (siting) only took 2.7 years from the first forecast.

Glad they're finally moving forward to close the I-10 gap. It'll be the first and only transcontinental route that won't require snow tires or chains year-round (see I-70 this past May or I-40 in November).

Long past time to get this started, let alone done.

Trying to remember the other location the Supercharger team notes earlier this month to fill that gap. Might have been Deming. Wasn't Lordsburg, which was surprising.

And of course, no Iove for Tucson or Benson yet (bleh). Tucson remains one of the most (SC-)underserved 1-million+ metro areas on the continent.

And yet we have a second route through Wyoming and 5 SCs on an island in central Mexico.

Unbelievably poor execution from stated plans in 2014. Glad to see it finally happening (and it's not even permit-ed yet - but great news nonetheless).

Thanks! Good sleuthing. I was trying to poke around the Cochise County web site and the Wilcox web site yesterday- I came up dry. I drove to Galveston Tx 3 times since I bought my Tesla. Only once did I drive it though- and that time was by going all the way up to I-40 and across to OKC then down to Galveston. Took an extra day. The other two times I drove our old Tahoe- and the AC crapped out both times!

First time posting here.....I have some news for whatever it's worth.

I just returned from a long road trip (Arizona to Minnesota) in my model S. On the way out, among the many SC's we stopped at was the one at Gothenburg, NE. There was another Tesla parked, but I didn't notice anyone in or around the car. The SC's are at the Nebraska Bar and Grill. After plugging in, we went inside for dinner. We returned to the car around 9pm. The other Tesla was still there. As we approached our car, a young man got out of the other car carrying a laptop, and I watched in amazement as he went over to the charger cabinets, unlocked and opened one, and began consulting his laptop. I immediately started asking him questions. He said he was a Tesla engineer who worked on the installation and maintenance of SC's. He had driven to this site from Denver, and he said he was updating the software on two of the chargers. He said the AT&T signal was weak in this area and these two chargers had trouble connecting, so he had to come to the site to do the update. We then got to talking about all the SC sites he visits and how it was challenging in extreme weather. When I said I was from southern Arizona, he immediately volunteered that the I-10 gap in AZ and NM would be finished by the end of the year. "It's in the works," he said. He also made the interesting comment that the SC in T or C, NM had been built before any of the remaining I-10 sites in order to make it possible for him to drive down to the future I-10 sites from Albuquerque.

With the construction of the SC in SE Tucson, has anyone heard anything about Willcox? I looked at the webpage for the city, but could not find a listing for (approved) permits.

With the construction of the SC in SE Tucson, has anyone heard anything about Willcox? I looked at the webpage for the city, but could not find a listing for (approved) permits.

I called the Holiday Inn Express. The person I talked to wasn't the manager, but she said they thought it was still in the works to be in their parking lot but she didn't know of any specific action since Tesla did their site survey.

Hotel parking lots seem to be a popular location. Sure wonder if there is cost sharing...
Some SC locations are at the outer reaches of giant malls. Not sure how the location negotiation works in those cases. It sure doesn't encourage shopping at the mall when you have to walk a 1/8 mile, but then it surely helps not getting ICEd.

Hotel parking lots seem to be a popular location. Sure wonder if there is cost sharing...
Some SC locations are at the outer reaches of giant malls. Not sure how the location negotiation works in those cases. It sure doesn't encourage shopping at the mall when you have to walk a 1/8 mile, but then it surely helps not getting ICEd.
Having to walk 1/8th of a mile discourages shopping?!?
My guess is that you are not much of a shopper.:)

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec

They're popular because hotels are very often close to Interstates, have a lot of empty parking lot space for large parts of the day, and frankly would love to trap people for an hour where they might spend a bit of money on food and drink (especially since many have an attached restaurant). Plus, in some locations, it might increase the chance of people staying there.