Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard a rumour that Manitoba Hydro and Tesla are having problems working out the billing details. Is there any truth to this? Could this be holding up all chargers across western Canada and NW Ontario?

I would be skeptical that the process would get as far as 4 sites, Manitoba Hydro transformers installed and connected and the chargers powered up to the point where they can test them, and they still haven't settled the billing practice to the point where they are ready to go live.

More likely it's the Tesla testing crews that are the bottleneck. Look at supercharge.info's Changes page and there are plenty of sites opening all over North America, and how many experienced testing crew would they actually have?

Edit to Add: Also doesn't explain why Saskatchewan is taking their time too, and Alberta - unless it's collusion...

Last edited:
Saw a Tesla Model X with BC plates at the Polo location yesterday but no workers on site. About a month ago the crew from Toronto was here testing and said they were working hard to bring everything online as soon as they can! I mean bringing 26 V3 Superchargers online is no small task but I wish they would open them one by one instead of what looks like delaying the other sites so they can all be turned on at same time.

You have to wonder how they get here from BC unless they can call up Command Central and turn on each supercharger along the way long enough to fill 'er up.

It would take some chutzpah to ask the Chevy or Nissan dealer for fill-ups when you work for Tesla Inc.

Charging rate

Attachments

• 1C2E9266-CFC1-4881-AB45-37E53C2F2726.jpeg
    1C2E9266-CFC1-4881-AB45-37E53C2F2726.jpeg
    846.7 KB · Views: 94
Guess I should add that the US$14.03 in the photo is from our charge in Baxter, MN yesterday. Got to Grand Forks with 1% left - about 2 miles in the -20 c weather.
Not sure if this is the correct photo.

YAHOO is all I can say about this charger working

Attachments

• 20191212_094534.jpg
    20191212_094534.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 57
I tried out the Winnipeg superchargers just now. They worked, in a way. When I first plugged in with cold batteries (-11 C) the charging rate was 0 km per hour for the first 5 minutes. I was doubtful if anything was happening. Then the charging rate began to rise, eventually reaching almost 300 km per hour after 30 minutes; I expect the battery was fully warmed by then. The rate then slowed down again as the battery filled up, and stopped at my set stopping point.

However. The charger I began at stopped charging after about 20 minutes. The screen message eventually said to check the charging equipment so I plugged back in again and it still wouldn't continue. I moved to a different charger and plugged in, and it picked up where the first one had stopped. The second charger stopped too after about another 20 minutes, so I moved again and the third charger topped up my car.

It looks like there is some kind of limit per charger. This may be connected with initial testing or with there being no money charged at this time. I wanted all the juice I could get because it looks like home charging at 110 V isn't going to work for me. My overnight charge rate is about 1 km per hour, and winter hasn't really come yet.

It's good to have these superchargers here, but the maximum rate seems much slower than at the V3 chargers I was able to use in November. There I once got a charge rate of 950 km per hour with an almost discharged battery.

The car was really zippy when I left the area. I guess that's what warm batteries are like. I had forgotten. The car is a Model 3 long range AWD.

Last edited:
...it looks like home charging at 110 V isn't going to work for me. My overnight charge rate is about 1 km per hour, and winter hasn't really come yet.
Something seems wrong here. I use a 120V 15 amp outlet at home and get 5.73 rated kilometres per hour. I do park in a garage and the ambient temperature in there is always above 10C so that might be part of it. Or maybe you are on some really old low amperage outlet?