Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is outside at night and at 10°C I get the same charging rate as in summer, higher than 5.73 km per hour. The decrease doesn't seem to begin until the outside temperature is about 0°C. I haven't collected enough data to figure out a pattern yet but I since I don't drive much I think I'm ok down to about -5°C. Colder than that, I may have to visit a charger periodically to top up which is why I'm relieved by the Polo Park chargers.

Confirmation bias? Maybe, or maybe highly charged battery, or both highly charged and warm.

I tried out the Winnipeg superchargers just now. They worked, in a way. When I first plugged in with cold batteries (-11 C) the charging rate was 0 km per hour for the first 5 minutes. I was doubtful if anything was happening. Then the charging rate began to rise, eventually reaching almost 300 km per hour after 30 minutes; I expect the battery was fully warmed by then. The rate then slowed down again as the battery filled up, and stopped at my set stopping point.

However. The charger I began at stopped charging after about 20 minutes. The screen message eventually said to check the charging equipment so I plugged back in again and it still wouldn't continue. I moved to a different charger and plugged in, and it picked up where the first one had stopped. The second charger stopped too after about another 20 minutes, so I moved again and the third charger topped up my car.

It looks like there is some kind of limit per charger. This may be connected with initial testing or with there being no money charged at this time. I wanted all the juice I could get because it looks like home charging at 110 V isn't going to work for me. My overnight charge rate is about 1 km per hour, and winter hasn't really come yet.

It's good to have these superchargers here, but the maximum rate seems much slower than at the V3 chargers I was able to use in November. There I once got a charge rate of 950 km per hour with an almost discharged battery.

The car was really zippy when I left the area. I guess that's what warm batteries are like. I had forgotten. The car is a Model 3 long range AWD.
Same here. I must have just missed you. I started about 5:30PM. The car had been sitting out all day, ambient temp was -12ºC. For about 8 minutes, no charge - the 0km charging occasionally flicked to 1 or 2km, but current stayed 0KW. Then it started to creep up slowly, until after 20 minutes it hit 28KW, 182km/hr and I'd added 73km (From 215 to 289km, so Elon math. About halfway through this charge, the blue bar on the battery had disappeared) They it dropped to zero with the "Check charging equipment" warning. I left it, it started charging again a minute later, got to 14KW in a minute, then stopped again same error. As charging progressed halfway through there was a twang like someone hitting the car lightly, about 5 times in a minute or two, which I assume was the metal battery case expanding as the batteries warmed up. I decided I'd spent long enough there, so I left.

I have noted since most of my driving has been in city, the calculated range for 80% has dropped from 402 to typically 361km.

Sorry I missed you. I would have been pleased to encounter someone from this forum.

I see 2 interesting things in your post. First, I have never looked at %charge so I didn't realize it wasn't in a constant ratio with remaining range. I will have to look at that. Second, I have wondered for a while what the twang or thunk is that occurs as you charge. I guess it is the expansion of the case.

My car is outside at night and at 10°C I get the same charging rate as in summer, higher than 5.73 km per hour.
I'm guessing you drive a Model 3 then. I drive a Model S. With a Model 3, you would get something like 7-8km/hr with my outlet.

Anyways, it sounds like parking outside in extreme cold is the issue then. Kind of unsurprising that L1 charging doesn't get it done in a Manitoba winter.

Reactions: Andy O
The battery can’t charge when it’s below freezing. As the outside temperature gets colder, more and more of the energy from your wall outlet gets used to heat the battery. Deep in the negatives, it will reach an equilibrium where the battery doesn’t charge at all - just sucks energy to keep itself warm enough to charge. Needless to say, this kills the efficiency of the vehicle, as most of the charging energy is wasted as heat.

If at all possible, look into a 240 volt charging solution, even if it’s only 20 or 30 amps.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Anyways, it sounds like parking outside in extreme cold is the issue then. Kind of unsurprising that L1 charging doesn't get it done in a Manitoba winter.

If at all possible, look into a 240 volt charging solution, even if it’s only 20 or 30 amp

Thank you both. I knew these things but never heard any details about winter charging and I wanted to try for myself.

Sorry I missed you. I would have been pleased to encounter someone from this forum.

I see 2 interesting things in your post. First, I have never looked at %charge so I didn't realize it wasn't in a constant ratio with remaining range. I will have to look at that. Second, I have wondered for a while what the twang or thunk is that occurs as you charge. I guess it is the expansion of the case.
I've never really looked at "percent charged". The only indicator I took note of was the settings for charge limit -which I set to 80%. That charge-complete number has been steadily dropping, a few weeks ago it hit 340's rather than 400km (which was 80% of stated 500km range).

I had called Tesla to see if they could determine anything wrong with the battery pack, and they said diagnostics showed no problem and claimed that the estimated range is regularly recalculated based on driving habits. (I'm not sure the service phone person really know what she was talking about). However, it makes sense since due to lack of superchargers, all I've done is city driving and very occasional trips to Selkirk or Steinbach.

After I took a highway drive at 105km/h out to Arborg it revived to 360km.

Stupid question - is that an option, show % charge rather than estimated range? All my battery indicators show is km.

On Wednesday I pulled a max 25 kW and last night hit a max of 39 kW but neither showed up under Supercharging session history Soni wonder if these are all still part of test phase. I imagine once it officially shows on the map we will get much faster speeds and will see number of stalls occupied! So excited for the switch to be flipped at all 26 sites between Calgary and Ottawa!

Reactions: wdelacruz
However. The charger I began at stopped charging after about 20 minutes. The screen message eventually said to check the charging equipment so I plugged back in again and it still wouldn't continue. I moved to a different charger and plugged in, and it picked up where the first one had stopped. The second charger stopped too after about another 20 minutes, so I moved again and the third charger topped up my car.
The car is a Model 3 long range AWD.

That is about what happened to me, but as I had a very warm battery, I got to 70% and I did not charge further as I wanted to test in Portage also. I knew I could make it even if I needed the assistance of the charger @ 4 Way Motors in MacGregor. However, Portage was working also.

Sadly when I returned today I couldn't get any charge at all. I tried one charger twice and one once. The screen said Starting to Charge then stopped after about 2 minutes.

The car screen was slightly different from yesterday. In the lower right section the cost of charging appeared, showing $0.00 from my previous supercharge in Baxter, MN.

• Funny
Reactions: ccudmore
Super Chargers have power!

Attachments

• 15763306283232823360524687627955.jpg
    15763306283232823360524687627955.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 83
Super Chargers have power!

I was impressed with even the 25-39 kW that I pulled on my two tests and how they wouold make roadtrips WAY easier. I know speeds drop a lot after 70% SOC and both times I tested I was around 15-20% SOC with a toasty battery to begin.

Can't wait until these are officially live and they unleash the full power! I probably won't test again until I see Winnipeg officially show up in our map/phone app as I imagine we won't get anything close to full charging speeds until then.