Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does any one else have semi loud "banging" noise fron under their car when they use the super charger? Not a consistent banging just a bang ever few minutes?
Yes. It’s a known issue during colder weather. Nothing to be concerned about and in most cases there’s nothing that can be done about it. Service tech confirmed that the part in the service bulletin doesn’t fix it in most cases. My M3 came with the updated part and it still happens.

When I tried out the Winnipeg charger last week, it sounded like someone was hitting the car, like slapping the trunk or something - about 5 times, once every 30 sec or so, when the power got fairly decent. First time it happened, I thought some pedestrian had slapped the side of the car but there was nobody around. I attributed it to metal expansion of the battery case from the heat of charging, as it was -12ºC and I only drove about half a mile after the car sat outside all day.

Does any one else have semi loud "banging" noise fron under their car when they use the super charger? Not a consistent banging just a bang ever few minutes?

Yes - all Model 3s have that. It's thermal expansion and contraction of the battery pack's outer case. You may also notice it when climbing or descending mountains. Several threads about it in the Model 3 forums.

I went back to the Winnipeg superchargers again tonight and found the situation was similar to last week's experience. My screen said 4/8 chargers were available but when I got there I was the only car. I plugged in at charger 2C (second from the east end). My charging rate showed as 19 kW or 128 km/h. The time remaining said 15 minutes but it would have been more like an hour to reach my chosen charge limit at that rate. The battery was about 60% charged (317 km / 518 km). The car is a model 3 LR AWD. The outside temperature was -6°C. I drove about 10 km to get there, parked at a restaurant (Ye's) for an hour, then went to try out a charger. I stayed long enough to add about 12 km of range, and the cost was about CDN 10 cents per km.

I am disappointed in the charging rate. I still attribute it to the temperature; I got a much faster rate elsewhere in October at above freezing temps.

I went back to the Winnipeg superchargers again tonight and found the situation was similar to last week's experience. My screen said 4/8 chargers were available but when I got there I was the only car. I plugged in at charger 2C (second from the east end). My charging rate showed as 19 kW or 128 km/h. The time remaining said 15 minutes but it would have been more like an hour to reach my chosen charge limit at that rate. The battery was about 60% charged (317 km / 518 km). The car is a model 3 LR AWD. The outside temperature was -6°C. I drove about 10 km to get there, parked at a restaurant (Ye's) for an hour, then went to try out a charger. I stayed long enough to add about 12 km of range, and the cost was about CDN 10 cents per km.

I am disappointed in the charging rate. I still attribute it to the temperature; I got a much faster rate elsewhere in October at above freezing temps.

Driving 10 km then parking for an hour is why you got a slow charge.

Yes, I believe the low temperature of my battery is what kept the charging rate down, not the outside temperature's effect on the superchargers themselves.

I am left wondering what charging rate I will find when the outside temperature is -30°C, plus wind chill to make it even more difficult for the car to warm the battery.

What really should happen, is there should be a single v3 chargers thread to discuss this.

Let me summarize.

-This is NOT a normal Supercharging experience.
-It is not unusual with the v3 chargers initially.
-It’s happening to most v3s in Canada and US.
-This doesn’t seem cold related though cold will slow charging.
-Long term owners aren’t worried about owning or driving Teslas in the winter.

Reactions: Manitoba Keith
What really should happen, is there should be a single v3 chargers thread to discuss this.

Yes, a single V3 thread for this is a good idea. There are posts about similar issues from several of the new locations along the Trans Canada Highway.

-It is not unusual with the v3 chargers initially.

What do you mean by "initially"? During the first month of a new V3? Or during the first 15 minutes of charging?

-This doesn’t seem cold related though cold will slow charging.
-Long term owners aren’t worried about owning or driving Teslas in the winter.

With the addition of a supercharger in my city (Winnipeg) and along the TCH, places that are colder than any previous V3 locations have just been added. I am not worried about driving my Tesla in the winter, but I would like to know what to expect from the new V3 machines and to let Tesla know about any problems we are experiencing.

Yes, I believe the low temperature of my battery is what kept the charging rate down, not the outside temperature's effect on the superchargers themselves.

I am left wondering what charging rate I will find when the outside temperature is -30°C, plus wind chill to make it even more difficult for the car to warm the battery.

wind chill won’t have any effect; (affect?), the pack only “feels” ambient temperature. Wind chill is a thing warm blooded beings feel, ;)

[QUOTE="Andy O, post: 4333915, member: 109432"What do you mean by "initially"? During the first month of a new V3? Or during the first 15 minutes of charging?[/QUOTE]

Month+ I’m not 100% sure it’s been resolved for them yet, but I believe so.

[QUOTE="Andy O, post: 4333915, member: 109432"With the addition of a supercharger in my city (Winnipeg) and along the TCH, places that are colder than any previous V3 locations have just been added. I am not worried about driving my Tesla in the winter, but I would like to know what to expect from the new V3 machines and to let Tesla know about any problems we are experiencing.[/QUOTE]

The V2 chargers worked/work as expected, and even Chademo is faster than speeds reported from the V3s. You can bet Tesla already knows, and you can bet it will be addressed.

My car is in Winnipeg regularly, and I grew up there. I’m familiar with the cold. Norway has just as much cold and has more Tesla’s than Canada. Not to mention, Edmonton gets just as cold as the Peg. Look up Bjorn Nylands videos. He’s played in the (real) cold a lot, but V2 chargers. The difference is V3.

wind chill won’t have any effect; (affect?), the pack only “feels” ambient temperature. Wind chill is a thing warm blooded beings feel

As regards machines you are partly mistaken. Wind causes things like batteries to lose their heat faster. It is true that they won't cool beyond the surrounding ambient temperature, but wind will cause the need for more energy to warm them or keep them above that temperature. As regards people, you are more correct. Modern wind chill is a measure of how cold people feel and really only applies to human beings.

Edmonton gets just as cold as the Peg.

At times, but on average Winnipeg is colder than Edmonton (or Moscow).

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
As regards machines you are partly mistaken. Wind causes things like batteries to lose their heat faster. It is true that they won't cool beyond the surrounding ambient temperature, but wind will cause the need for more energy to warm them or keep them above that temperature. As regards people, you are more correct. Modern wind chill is a measure of how cold people feel and really only applies to human beings.

At times, but on average Winnipeg is colder than Edmonton (or Moscow).
It looks like the Davidson, SK supercharger takes the prize as coldest North American supercharger. I believe the one in Puoltikasvaara, Sweden is the coldest worldwide (based on mean temperature for the entire year), although many of the Canadian sites have colder winters than Puoltikasvaara.

Reactions: Andy O
It looks like the Davidson, SK supercharger takes the prize as coldest North American supercharger. I believe the one in Puoltikasvaara, Sweden is the coldest worldwide (based on mean temperature for the entire year), although many of the Canadian sites have colder winters than Puoltikasvaara.
Correction: West Yellowstone, Montana has a colder annual mean than Davidson but again Davidson is coldest in winter which is probably the most important issue for the functioning of superchargers.

Reactions: Andy O
I tried the Winnipeg super charger yesterday, long drive in advance navigating to the super charger to precondition it. About -10c, 19% state of charge, LR RD Model 3. It got up to a max of 124kw pretty quickly, but started to throttle at 25%. That’s 853 km/h max added range.

This is such an improvement over the 32 amp destination charger in Carman. Don’t get me wrong, I would have run out of juice a few weeks ago without it, but I realized that in -28c conditions, 32 amps will run the interior heater, or charge the battery, but not both. I also learned that if you don’t precondition (which was not possible) it takes a while for the battery to warm up enough to take any charge.

I look forward to testing V3 charging in the summer.
As I posted quite some time ago in this thread, the day we got back to Canada from our 10,000+Km trip to Boca Chica TX , Atlanta, London ON and back home. It charges like a V2 charger if & when the battery is warm. Have not seen the really high charge rates that are spoken about for a V3. We plugged in on a fairly cold day (-20 C?) after having driven from Morris BUT, no conditioning as the Superchargers were not on the map so could not be chosen as a destination. The battery was fairly warm but only V2 speeds.

Tried it again last Friday (Dec 27) and it was a similar situation, although not quite as cold (-2C). The weird thing is that it stopped charging somewhere in the 70% range both times.

I'm just happy, at this point, that I can get a charge that is fairly fast. I'm sure it will all get sorted out in the future.

Reactions: PLUS EV and Andy O
I returned to the Polo Park superchargers last night. My screen said 4/8 of the chargers were available and all of them were lit up. I tried to charge at 2C and 2B but couldn't. I got the message Charging Started then Charging Stopped then Charging Started then Charging Stopped or Cancelled, Please Unplug and Reconnect, then a repeat sequence after reconnecting, so I moved to the 2nd charger from the west, 2B, and charging went great! I got the high charge rate I was used to in November in the warm USA.

I guess my hypothesis that the slow charging was due to my cold battery was wrong (as other posters have suggested). It seems more likely that the 4 chargers on the east end are not really working.

• Informative
I tried all chargers this noon, only two chargers from the west were working. I got 0kw when the battery was cold (started at 50km) and later 31kw was the highest. Charged for only 30mins and stopped (about 170km) (idk why).

I wonder if currently it is free to charge? I didn't see any bill from Tesla.

• Informative
Need the charge to get home, tried all of them and only 1a worked. about 15 minutes into the charge it stopped working. "unable to DC fast charge"

Tried calling tesla and they said it automatically makes them aware of issues. Hopefully they fix this soon we need this in winnipeg!

• Informative