Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May have been mentioned before, but Yuma to El Centro is only 60 miles. But, I don't know the logistical problems in spacing SC's in that area. It may be a question of either too far or too close where too close would be better.
Electrical availability may be the defining decision.

Terrain to the west of El Centro may be the reason, I know that gas mileage goes down a lot over that segment so it may be tough to do Yuma to SAN in a 60 without El Centro. Also since the most southerly supercharger in California will be San Juan Capistrano those traveling I-8 to I-5 North etc would have a problem.

Going East you might be going to Tucson, hence (I guess) Gila Bend.

Now I'm hoping they put solar panel canopies over these stations by the summertime :) Yuma's HOT

Terrain to the west of El Centro may be the reason, I know that gas mileage goes down a lot over that segment so it may be tough to do Yuma to SAN in a 60 without El Centro. Also since the most southerly supercharger in California will be San Juan Capistrano those traveling I-8 to I-5 North etc would have a problem.

Going East you might be going to Tucson, hence (I guess) Gila Bend.

Now I'm hoping they put solar panel canopies over these stations by the summertime :) Yuma's HOT

There's a possible answer to this heavy coverage: solar canopies. ;)

But really, it just looks to me like they're getting SoCal and AZ done, and to do AZ they have to do I-40, I-10 and I-8, plus route 93 for Phoenix to LV.

The installation of the solar canopies certainly makes sense, but they also complicate the opening of the SpC. I'll bet that the solar array follows the opening of the SpC in climates that are viable.

I think if they came around and added solar installations it would be an elegant move, in the way it's both practical and adds to the brand.

In Yuma it would look incredible, juxtaposed with the steam engine parked in eyeshot etc, and it would also add value to the Hilton there.

I'm not sure what they would add to Carl's Jr except give ICE parkers somewhere shaded to eat their burgers ;-) Though seriously, all the stations I've looked at via Plugshare are probably the most "modern" looking things around in most areas they have 'em. Solar array on top, even more so.

Maybe Tesla will buy back all the old-style "A" batteries to store the solar-generated power, solving two problems with one blow.
It appears that TM is devoting a great deal of energy (excuse the pun) into building more Superchargers rather than making them more solar-friendly. I agree that battery-stored energy teamed with A PV canopy would be awesome, more eco-friendly, and less expensive in the long-term.

Last edited:
It appears that TM is devoting a great deal of energy (excuse the pun) into building more Superchargers rather than making them more solar-friendly. I agree that battery-stored energy teamed with A PV canopy would be awesome, more ego-friendly, and less expensive in the long-term.

Probably a good idea to get the proprietary infrastructure in place ASAP given the competition that is coming w BMW, etc. The solar stuff anyone can do, though easier with the Solar City connection once they have the cashflow.

Exciting to watch, eh? Like a sport with a home team.

Tejon Ranch has a solar canopy but I encountered many ICE cars wanting to park under them this past summer even though there were plenty of spots closer to the fast food restaurants but under the blazing sun, I walked over to a couple of them & explained the spots were for EV's that needed to charge & they eventually moved, one lady explained she had 2 sleeping babies in the car & the shade was "really helpful", she agreed to move if all the stalls filled up & she saw a waiting Tesla requiring her spot. While we all want solar canopys they can add to the ICE taking up spots at SC problem.

Probably a good idea to get the proprietary infrastructure in place ASAP given the competition that is coming w BMW, etc. The solar stuff anyone can do, though easier with the Solar City connection once they have the cashflow.

Exciting to watch, eh? Like a sport with a home team.
No one is going to be driving a BMW i3 cross-country relying only on electricity, except perhaps as a stunt. Specs we've heard about the i8 are hardly better. For the foreseeable future, no one is challenging Tesla in the long-distance electric driving market, so I don't see a lot of competition for spots in places like Yuma or Quartzite. Spots in rest areas on the I-95 corridor? Perhaps, but you'd have to be a glutton for punishment to drive a Leaf or i3 (without range extender) even from Baltimore to Philadelphia.

As I'm starting to learn just what you Arizonans mean by "sunshine", I absolutely concur that PV-shaded SpC slots are going to be irresistible to ICE drivers (wouldn't want that ice melting, hey?). Thus, it seems to me that, first, Tesla ought consider emplacing any PV panels away from the SpC slots...which, if any reasonable fraction of SpC power will come from them, will have to be done, anyway.

Second, though, is that the only long-term route to ensure SpC exclusivity would be by some means of barrier - gate or rising pole, for example - that would be enabled only by an EV's presence. Now, TMInc's contracts with its SpC's hosts contain confidentiality clauses, and I am not going to irritate TM employees by a third-party spilling of specific beans, but, in my non-lawyer opinion, the contract I have seen does NOT adequately address these concerns, although it does acknowledge them and does leave in place the ability for either party to make changes as needed.

When I was chatting with the crew putting the finishing touches on Cheyenne last week, the head electrician indicated that he was headed to work on El Centro next. Cheyenne went live on Monday; he could be in El Centro already. :biggrin:

I'll try to get some photos messaged to me on Monday 1-27-2014 of this site {Yuma AZ}so we can check the progress>to>activation!! It is in a great location and will definitely make PHX AZ to San Diego CA much easier. This site should be very close to going live!!

Here's a picture provided by mgdurand for those that may not be monitoring the thread within the North America folder. The picture was uploaded on 1/20.

photo 4.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Wow, FINALLY YUMA!! This is about the only one I really wanted since I got my Model S in March. There were 3 times already that I could have used it. Used the RV park once, ICE once, and skipped the trip altogether the 3rd time. The Tesla staff have been hinting repeatedly that it was about to go in since March but it was always a disappointment. The hotel staff told me in September that the project was delayed until next summer. I'm glad they were wrong. I'll finally take some Supercharger enabled road trips before moving away from AZ soon.

Keep us posted on when it goes live! Thanks to all the detectives out there keeping tabs.
-Matt

MODS: please merge this with original Yuma, AZ Supercharger thread from 3-22-2013. Thanks.
Yuma AZ Supercharger

Mods... Please leave this one open. This location has become the standard. If anything needs merging, it should be brought into this one.

I agree with Mark -- the other thread has more activity and pre-dates this one. It also appears to be in the correct sub-forum (North America portion of Charging Standards). Please merge this thread into that one...