Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure the criticism is valid. Tesla is installing DC fast chargers unlike the other EV manufacturers
I'm not criticising Tesla, just making a point that in a location where you have a lot of EV owners travelling to for weekends etc (especially Sydney's closest wine region), it would make sense to have some high speed chargers in that area. I don't care if it is Tesla, Evie or Chargefox, I just wish someone would do it

Reactions: Quickst
As has Evie. Evie has more than double the number of sites as Tesla (nearly 200 vs 85), but a lower total number of stalls. Both large sites, and a higher density of sites, have a role to play.

I'm in favour of big sites with lots of stalls. That's where things are headed. Globally.

Anything less than 4 stalls doesn't cut it these days. Even more so if they are using Tritium gear.

That's where things are headed. Globally.
The legacy petrol/diesel servos are ideal places to host DCFC. They won't be large multibay sites but will be very important in the future. I don't think it necessarily should be a certain minimum number (though one is more or less useless) but it needs to be ubiquitous. DCFC should be ubiquitous -"there should be another just up the road".

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Agree which I why I'm pointing out that certain entities who should. It's easy to talk green but not so easy to act on it.

We’ve had this discussion before but I fundamentally disagree. Every enterprise has a constraint on its resources, capital and brainspace. Nothing is infinite and choices have to be made as to what they work on.

I’d much rather that other EV manufactuerers devoted all of their resources, capital and brainspace into designing, building and selling more BEVs. Building a DCFC network is a diversion from that and not their core business. It is now the core business of other entities.

Every dollar a BEV manufacturer spends on a DCFC network, or hour they spend working on a DCFC network, is an hour they are NOT devoting to building more BEVs.

But you’d rather these other companies build fewer BEVs. 🤷‍♂️

Tesla is different solely because they needed to build their Supercharger network to make their vehicles a viable alternative to ICE. It was and continues to be part of their core business. That’s not the case for any other BEV manufacturer.

Reactions: B3AU and Chuq
But you’d rather these other companies build fewer BEVs
An assumption not borne out be the fact that Tesla is delivering a lot of Ev while building out the Sc infrastructure. It is not necessarily one or the other.

But you’d rather these other companies build fewer BEVs
They can do both. When was the last time a car manufacturer only built one model. They usually have investments in several different car models/brands. SC infrastructure is just another business entity within the conglomerate.

Tesla is different solely because they needed to build their Supercharger network to make their vehicles a viable alternative to ICE.
Initially maybe, but not any more and they are still building out the SC network because not only is it cash flow positive the business unit is profitable.

That’s not the case for any other BEV manufacturer
An erroneous assumption that is not borne out by what Tesla has done and is doing

Last edited:
Reactions: mukaibot
I totally agree with this. Also, what about the Hunter Valley? Teslas everywhere and limited charging
We have Hetherbrae, Hollydene and Tamworth. Between those 3 locations (one lower, one middle, and one upper Hunter) there isn't anywhere you can't get to-and-from?

If you're coming up from Sydney, stop at the Central Coast supercharger for a top up - head to the Valley, tootle around as much as you like, top up at Hollydene (as an example), and then head home to Sydney. If you find yourself a bit short - back to Central Coast supercharger for a splash and dash.

We have Hetherbrae, Hollydene and Tamworth. Between those 3 locations (one lower, one middle, and one upper Hunter) there isn't anywhere you can't get to-and-from?
I'm surprised there's still no supercharger at Pokolbin to cater to the wine tasting demographic, which overlaps pretty well with Tesla early adopters. (Just check how many destination chargers there are on Plugshare!) The only SC on the way there from Sydney or back is at Central Coast, which is slow and a small detour.

Reactions: smithy
An assumption not borne out be the fact that Tesla is delivering a lot of Ev while building out the Sc infrastructure. It is not necessarily one or the other.

As explained, the Supercharger network was core business for Tesla from the get-go. That’s not the case for anyone else. Tesla needed both their vehicle and Supercharger businesses to succeed, else both would die. It is still highly likely that Tesla cross-subsidises its SC network from its vehicle and energy sales, but we don’t know for sure because Tesla publishes no details in their financial accounts that provide sufficient granularity for anyone to work it out. It‘s all deliberately opaque.

But we do know every other DCFC network provider that does publish financial accounts is losing money. And lots of it. ChargePoint posted a net loss of $344.5 million on revenue of $468.1 million for the 2022/23 fiscal year, EVgo lost $106.2 million on revenue of $54.6 million for the 2022 fiscal year and Blink Charging lost $91.6 million on revenue of $61.1 million for the 2022 fiscal year.

And closer to home, Ampol in one of its “Lessons Learned” reports to ARENA stated that EV charging utilisation was only 39% of the utilisation level required to break even.

That’s my evidence that a car company building a DCFC network would be shovelling cash into a dumpster with the result they’d either have to make fewer BEVs, or go broke and make zero BEVs. So where’s your evidence - facts and numbers - that shows that is not the case?

They can do both. When was the last time a car manufacturer only built one model. They usually have investments in several different car models/brands. SC infrastructure is just another business entity within the conglomerate.

Not when it is earnings dilutive, as explained above. It would mean fewer BEVs being built. You may not like that fact, or not believe it, but that’s what would happen. Perhaps you believe companies are magic puddings, they are unconstrained, and can work on anything they like as much as they like without needing more staff or money. And succeed.

You don’t seem to understand that the fact Tesla has had SCs as an integral part of its business from the get-go makes a profound and fundamental difference to the economics of that business, and that does not and would not translate to any other car manufacturer.

they are still building out the SC network because not only is it cash flow positive the business unit is profitable.

Where’s your proof for that, i.e full capital costs, lease costs, operating costs, electricity costs etc showing the network overall is making a profit? Please post a link. Because I have seen zero proof from Tesla’s own published accounts that that is the case.

Speaking of Tesla ignoring certain areas (even in jest)… it seems very odd to me that Australia’s 6th biggest city has exactly zero Superchargers. And no, Heatherbrae is not part of Newcastle.
On what basis is it the 6th biggest city? The Newcastle-Matiland "Significant Urban Area" is 7th (behind Gold Coast-Tweed) but that SUA does include Heatherbrae.

If you're just looking at urban centres, then Newcastle falls to 8th behind Gold Coast and Canberra.

Anyway, a large reason why the Newcastle urban centre doesn't have a Supercharger yet might be that it's virtually out on a large peninsula so it's not really on the way to anywhere else. Yass doesn't have 12 Superchargers because it's a bustling metropolis.

Screenshot_20231222-012955.png

Happy Holidays.

But we do know every other DCFC network provider that does publish financial accounts is losing money. And lots of it. ChargePoint posted a net loss of $344.5 million on revenue of $468.1 million for the 2022/23 fiscal year, EVgo lost $106.2 million on revenue of $54.6 million for the 2022 fiscal year and Blink Charging lost $91.6 million on revenue of $61.1 million for the 2022 fiscal year.

And closer to home, Ampol in one of its “Lessons Learned” reports to ARENA stated that EV charging utilisation was only 39% of the utilisation level required to break even.

This is normal for any business in the 'growth phase'.

They have a slowly growing customer base (smaller income) and are rapidly rolling out new charge sites and infrastructure (high capital costs).

Once the business matures with more customers (higher incomes) and their network is established (lower capital costs) they move into the profitable phase.

A spectacular end of year rush to finish off the year with 28 new sites. Three more than 2020-2022 combined!

(Is it safe to say they are done for the year? If I’m wrong it means more, so that’s a win-win!)

Voiceover: He was wrong.

See Coffs Harbour post below. That makes it 29.

Last edited: