TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Superchargers in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by JOH, Aug 21, 2014.

1. JOH

JOH Member

Following is a link where Tesla confirm they will go ahead with a Supercharger network in Australia. Let's hope Tesla have the same high priority geos as noted at the end of the article! Of course, they still need to get organised around a QLD delivery centre......

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/21/tesla_plots_free_charge_stations_for_oz/

2. kieranu

kieranu Member

Sadly, I'm sure those will be the highest priority even though there are already third-party chargers in that area. The priorities really should be along the Nullabor, between Queensland and Darwin, along the Great Northern Highway, down the West coast etc. Basically those areas where you are currently lucky to find a roadhouse every 500 km.

3. heosat

heosat Member

As noted on my Supercharger maps the priorities are for corridors that are used heavily for tourism and business so that people can get more value out of their cars.

4. kieranu

kieranu Member

So that would surely include the likes of Kakadu and the Ningaloo reef. Anyway, I'm sure the ultimate goal will be for the network to allow Tesla vehicles to be able to go anywhere that an ICE car can go by the time of the release of the Model III but if the first cars come to Melbourne and Sydney the first super chargers will probably join those two cities and so on in order of where the cars become available. This appears to have been the model adopted in the US.

5. heosat

heosat Member

I'm sure their plans are to cover nearly the whole continent, especially as their costs come down.

Right now the primary tourist traps on the east coast for locals are the Snowy Mountains, Great Ocean Road, Hunter Valley, Yarra Valley, etc. They need to be covered first.

6. JOH

JOH Member

And Noosa.......

7. salamagd

salamagd Member

Seriously, how many people do you expect to be driving across the Nullabor in a Model S? Of course it'll be the most trafficked routes first.

8. MangroveMike

MangroveMike Member

Yep, I've never done it in an ICE so don't think I'll do it in a Tesla. Planes and trains, not automobiles.

9. kieranu

kieranu Member

How many people routinely drive from Colorado to California? Yet these were the first two superchargers to go in. Then Connecticut. Then Delaware. Then they filled in the gaps to effectively allow cross-country travel. A few extra were installed in California early on but that's because that is where Tesla are based and Hollywood and Silicon Valley types can afford to and want to be seen in a Tesla.

10. MangroveMike

MangroveMike Member

Lots of people live in the middle of the USA.

11. kieranu

kieranu Member

Agreed but the point is they don't routinely drive to California or Delaware for tourism or business and even if they could they would have to wait for more super chargers in between first. There was a six month or so gap before they even started the in-fill.

12. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

... and the Victorian Alps

13. heosat

heosat Member

Yah, there's an "etc." there... I'm sure you've seen my Supercharger map anyway.

14. Gabz

Gabz Member

15. miimura

miimura Active Member

The CHAdeMO adapter has been "Coming Soon" for nearly a year. The only glimmer of hope is that it will be included with all Model S vehicles delivered in Japan and they are set to start deliveries in Mid-September. Japan uses the US inlet, so the status of CHAdeMO adapter for the EU/HK/AUS Type 2 compatible inlet is unknown, but also "coming soon". There are EU cars that were delivered without the adapter even though they were included in the car order. I think they stopped allowing the adapter to be included with the car order at some point because the delivery date was so uncertain.

16. MangroveMike

MangroveMike Member

17. Higgy

Higgy Member

And there is a service centre marked on this map at 1 George St - I assume this is not the real address?

18. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I guess anything is an advance...

19. MangroveMike

MangroveMike Member

Yep - it's pretty sad that this is our excitement at the moment.

20. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ