Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think the bigger issue is that Tesla closes it randomly.. and historically (like the "quarterly" map updates) they haven't been great at sticking to any timetables.
For reference:
Q4 2022 - announced Dec 23, 2022 (9 days before)
Q1 2023 - announced Apr 5, 2023 (5 days after)
Q2 2023 - announced Jul 12, 2023 (12 days after)
Q3 2023 - announced Oct 27, 2023 (27 days after)

Who knows if they're going to pull back to actual end of quarter, or go another couple of weeks late every time....

Looking at the new voting leaderboards since you put out this post @Chuq I still can't understand why people are voting for Rockhampton. Since the site has opened, there has been 300 more votes for this location. Makes absolutely zero sense for people to waste their vote there. Could have had Leongatha and Braidwood in the top 5 with those votes.

Looking at the new voting leaderboards since you put out this post @Chuq I still can't understand why people are voting for Rockhampton. Since the site has opened, there has been 300 more votes for this location
I can only guess that a lot of people are not like us and are not aware of where and when new sites are in build, or opened! This is votes per day for each site near the end of the last quarter (late Sep to mid Oct - until the day I left for my WA trip). Green sites were the ones recommended, red sites were the ones specifically *not* to vote for - but people still did. Clearly many people just clicked the voting link and didn't read the attached info.

The Batemans Bay/Orange sites, people may not have been aware of the NSW grants, but Rockhampton is even stranger since the site has been built!

You can see columns BD and BI are the days I posted reminders in various groups. BL is when the Japanese realised what we were doing. Not sure what happened at BT... Australian and Japanese sites both received a spike. Maybe someone posted about voting on a global forum somewhere.

1704840407835.png

Looking at the new voting leaderboards since you put out this post @Chuq I still can't understand why people are voting for Rockhampton. Since the site has opened, there has been 300 more votes for this location. Makes absolutely zero sense for people to waste their vote there. Could have had Leongatha and Braidwood in the top 5 with those votes.
Could it be because those people voted early in the 1/4 before Rockhampton started construction? Another reason to have a dedicated page where we can collectively co-ordinate votes and suggestions for sites.

There's been 170 votes for Rockhampton just since yesterday evening! Let alone in the month since it opened.
We obviously need a coordinated social media campaign to mitigate these wasted votes and target sites that will get the most bang for our votes. I'm about to add a section to your google docs file for Q1 2024, where we can add sites we believe would be of assistance when travelling. I for one, don't believe in voting for metro supercharger sites, as was stated earlier Tesla can see the need to open more metro sites from its statistics. Hope this is in order?

We obviously need a coordinated social media campaign to mitigate these wasted votes and target sites that will get the most bang for our votes. I'm about to add a section to your google docs file for Q1 2024, where we can add sites we believe would be of assistance when travelling. I for one, don't believe in voting for metro supercharger sites, as was stated earlier Tesla can see the need to open more metro sites from its statistics. Hope this is in order?
Good idea, I've copied a post I made on another forum to the Google doc, in the "comments" bit at the end. It's a bit more interactive than this thread.

Given what has happened with Rockhampton, I almost wonder whether we should just allow a bunch of natural voting to occur, and hold any targeted push to later in the quarter.
There is a benefit to that (I only voted for 3 sites early on, waited until yesterday to see which sites were near the top before doing the other 2). But there is also opportunity to influence the votes by getting in early, as people may just look at the list and vote for the top 5 Australian ones that they see.

Reactions: Jules22
There is a benefit to that (I only voted for 3 sites early on, waited until yesterday to see which sites were near the top before doing the other 2). But there is also opportunity to influence the votes by getting in early, as people may just look at the list and vote for the top 5 Australian ones that they see.
Just added my two cents worth to
If any of these sites are already planned, please edit them out.

Thoughts for voting in Q1 2024
Given voting for the Q1 1/4 should finish around March/April, we should start a co-ordinated push on the various social media sites for various places. These are sites in QLD (but not limited to) and the reasons for that.

7 Acacia Ave, Warwick QLD 4370
if anyone else is wanting to add a vote. This is a carpark located just off the new England Highway. There is a 50kw DC fast charger located here as well that is free and sponsored by the University of QLD and the solar farm up the road. Being a 50kw
https://tritiumcharging.com/product/rt-50/ it is prone to failure. The next supercharger in over the NSW border in Tenterfield, Brisbane or Toowoomba.

Redbank Plaza
1 Collingwood Dr, Redbank QLD 4301 http://www.redbankplaza.com.au/
This is a largish shopping centre on the Ipswich Motorway (Between Ipswich and Brisbane) that would allow those that require a fill up when traveling through the area or on the way north/south. This area is quite flood prone although I believe the shopping centre is above flood height.

A1, Maryborough west QLD or more specifically somewhere around Oliver's - Maryborough Bruce Hwy &, Quarry Rd, Maryborough West QLD 4650
Google Maps
This spot is on the Bruce Highway I was thinking of near the Olivers restaurant as it's pretty easy to get to and is otherwise in an industrial estate, so plenty of electricity. This would allow us to bypass going into the Gympie supercharger, which is a PITA to get to especially when the Gympie bypass is completed by the end of 2024.

Last edited:
While Tesla did an amazing job in Australia in 2023, we are fortunate to have many other charging networks rolling out large numbers including Evie, BPPulse, AMPCharge, NRMA, Turkish, RAA, RWA, and lots of support from both Federal and State Govts.

Yes the situation is very different here. Tesla definitely has more stalls than Evie, but Evie has more than double the number of sites of Tesla. The ratio of stalls would not be 6:1 like it is in the US, maybe closer to 2:1 or 3:1, perhaps @Chuq could work it out?

The situation in the US is a direct consequence of the Tesla Proprietary Connector. Other EV charging networks could only ever access 30% of the EV market. Tesla drivers almost exclusively used the Tesla network, since the vast majority of Tesla drivers never invested in adaptors.

So those other networks were handicapped from the start - smaller market into which they could sell their services, hence less revenue to build and maintain their networks, etc. It becomes a bit of a vicious cycle.

It makes such a difference when DCFC network operators here know they can sell their product to every EV that is out there.

Suspect government funding also comes into it.

We've been fortunate to have had quite a lot to date in Australia although it might be slowing (and maybe that played into recent Evie price increases).

Whereas in the US I suspect there might have been a gap in 2023 before NEVI funding kicks in.
Based on some YT videos Electrify America has also been spending $s replacing stalls from manufacturers that appear even less reliable than the former Qld factory.

Looks like a new round of Supercharger voting has started.

I didn't catch the results of the last round, but Mildura is still there, so must not have made the top 5.

I'm not seeing any new sites available for voting in Victoria. Can anyone spot any in other states?

I'll be holding onto my votes until we have a plan of attack! Over to you Chuq!

Outside of metro areas, havn't been following close enough for those to know, the only new site I see is Narrandera. Which I think is somewhat telling. With Mildura, Hay and a known interest in Gawler, SA, the Sturt seems definately on the expansion roadmap.
With Parkes and Narrabri Tesla Superchargers on the NSW government funding sites this would also look to expand Newell Highway coverage also.

Reactions: johnchidgey