Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers on the NJ Turnpike (speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, when adding the Rest Area by name, it would help to note that it is a north or south bound only accessible location. Unlike highways with rest areas in the center of the opposing traffic lanes, most NJTP rest areas only serve an either north or south bound flowing direction. Molly Pitcher service area as an example is southbound traffic only, situated in the town of Cranbury, Middlesex County.
<rolleyes> Seriously? I suspect if someone in California's CalTrans did something like that, a million drivers would hunt him down, torches and pitchforks at the ready.

<rolleyes> Seriously? I suspect if someone in California's CalTrans did something like that, a million drivers would hunt him down, torches and pitchforks at the ready.

Not sure I understand your aversion? Most toll roads don't have shared service areas so people can't reverse direction and avoid tolls. The only time (except for once) I've seen a shared NB/SB or EB/WB service areas are on free interstate roads (or smaller state roads). I think I saw one shared service area in NY state that had strict partitioned off parking areas for the opposing traffic directions and only foot traffic between.

Not sure I understand your aversion? Most toll roads don't have shared service areas so people can't reverse direction and avoid tolls. The only time (except for once) I've seen a shared NB/SB or EB/WB service areas are on free interstate roads (or smaller state roads). I think I saw one shared service area in NY state that had strict partitioned off parking areas for the opposing traffic directions and only foot traffic between.
Ah. My bad. I did not know it's a toll road. Apologies.

For those not familiar with NJ toll highways, the NJTP has EZ Pass and toll plazas at the northernmost and southernmost exits, (Exits 1 & 18) and then entry/exit toll plazas at each exit. The other roadways under NJTP control are the Garden State Parkway and Atlantic City Expressway. Both of those roadways have both separate service areas for North/South and East/West traffic along with center shared rest areas. In both of those highways, toll plazas and EZ Pass readers are every so many miles so a shared service area will not allow drivers to avoid paying the tolls. Both those highways also have far more exits vs the limited egress NJTP. Basically about 22 totals exits over 120 miles along the main/north south roadway. Hence referring to the joke when asking people where in NJ they live, "What exit are you?"

Important trivia (that may not be completely accurate), most interstate rest stops are prohibited by federal law from selling anything except soft drinks and snacks, thanks to lobbying from a restaurant association decades ago. The NJTP and a few other state systems (PA turnpike, WV Turnpike, etc.) predate the interstate system, and were allowed to keep their already open service plazas. As a result of that law, installing pay-to-charge charging stations at interstate rest stops is practically impossible, except at the areas already grandfathered.

Plus without a real food service, interstate rest areas are not the most appealing charge station locations. While some states may have worked out a way around the federal regs, I don't think in general there are many exceptions to this rule. Perhaps on the I-5 electric corridor?

If anyone is more familiar with the interstate vending rules and how to work around them, I'd appreciate a comment.

ohio turnpike would like a word?

indiana?

illinois?

For those not familiar with NJ toll highways, the NJTP has EZ Pass and toll plazas at the northernmost and southernmost exits, (Exits 1 & 18) and then entry/exit toll plazas at each exit. The other roadways under NJTP control are the Garden State Parkway and Atlantic City Expressway. Both of those roadways have both separate service areas for North/South and East/West traffic along with center shared rest areas. In both of those highways, toll plazas and EZ Pass readers are every so many miles so a shared service area will not allow drivers to avoid paying the tolls. Both those highways also have far more exits vs the limited egress NJTP. Basically about 22 totals exits over 120 miles along the main/north south roadway. Hence referring to the joke when asking people where in NJ they live, "What exit are you?"

Florida Turnpike service stations are in the middle and you can actually do a u-turn if you need.

Important trivia (that may not be completely accurate), most interstate rest stops are prohibited by federal law from selling anything except soft drinks and snacks, thanks to lobbying from a restaurant association decades ago. The NJTP and a few other state systems (PA turnpike, WV Turnpike, etc.) predate the interstate system, and were allowed to keep their already open service plazas. As a result of that law, installing pay-to-charge charging stations at interstate rest stops is practically impossible, except at the areas already grandfathered.

Plus without a real food service, interstate rest areas are not the most appealing charge station locations. While some states may have worked out a way around the federal regs, I don't think in general there are many exceptions to this rule. Perhaps on the I-5 electric corridor?

If anyone is more familiar with the interstate vending rules and how to work around them, I'd appreciate a comment.

I'd double check. Are you sure it isn't just that toll roads can have full service plazas since they have restricted access?

Google Maps
The NJ parkway has some like that too. Can't do it on the Turnpike cause its a Pay from point A to B system. They don't want u backtracking without paying and them getting every penny out of ya.

I swear at vince lombi service plaza you can go N or S out of it
Google Maps

Also, when adding the Rest Area by name, it would help to note that it is a north or south bound only accessible location. Unlike highways with rest areas in the center of the opposing traffic lanes, most NJTP rest areas only serve an either north or south bound flowing direction. Molly Pitcher service area as an example is southbound traffic only, situated in the town of Cranbury, Middlesex County.

Appears @MarcoRP went with this, adding Northbound and Southbound to the names used on Supercharge.info

I'm assuming that EV charging gets the same sort of exemption that gas gets for a car. It's considered a "service". Also, fuel/electricity LITERALLY fuels interstate commerce, which was the main point of the Interstate System (directly behind the logistical advantage it provides in moving military troops/equipment around).

I'd double check. Are you sure it isn't just that toll roads can have full service plazas since they have restricted access?
I've been told this story about the prohibition of sales on interstates by several folks in local state government. But it seems to me there have been some exceptions, such as the I-5 corridor in the northwest US. So my post here is to try to find explanations as to how the exceptions have been made.

ohio turnpike would like a word?

indiana?

illinois?
According to Wikipedia, the Ohio, Indiana and Illinois turnpikes predate the "Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956", which established the interstate highway system. I am told that a regulation or law at the same time prohibited the sale of fuel and food (except vending machine snacks and drinks) at rest stops. What I'd like to know is if there is a way to bypass those regulations so that someone can sell electricity at interstate rest stops built after 1956.

Nice. Although I was hoping to see Grover Cleveland and Thomas Edison service areas included as well since I enter the Turnpike from East Brunswick (Exit 9) to go to NYC. Hopefully they get the same treatment in the not-so-distant future.
Agree. More SC stations closer to exits 16-18 will help when I drive to Providence so that I can fill up as I get stuck on some CT parkways as directed by Google maps.

• Funny
Reactions: streetskooler
Florida Turnpike service stations are in the middle and you can actually do a u-turn if you need.

This is specifically how I use the Turkey Lake Supercharger in Orlando. Enter from the SR 50 ramp in Ocoee, go southbound to charger in the service plaza, then leave and go northbound back to SR 50. No tolls doing this. This Supercharger is also free!

On topic, these added NJTP Superchargers will be very welcome. I traveled Thanksgiving weekend and the lines in the middle of the night at the few they have were awful.