Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers super-slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd really like an explanation from Tesla, or at least an acknowledgement. So far their response has been silence. Each time I report the issue the person on the phone offers the same brain dead response I've heard a million times. When they realize I know what I'm talking about and I've already checked off the basics, they claim to be passing the issues on to the engineers with a promise that I'll get a call back with an explanation. That hasn't happened yet.

Ditto here on everything you just said. I'm at the point now where I call the supercharger team before each stop and ask them to tell me which stalls are having issues.

When charging is slow for no apparent reason, I call them back every time now. Only once in the last 8 or 9 charging sessions have I gotten above 100KW and even then it was only for a few minutes before dropping down to 75KW with an existing 15%.

I'm now at the point where I can't recommend Tesla to people that ask me if they plan to do any long distance travel. Very unfortunate.

I can't recommend Tesla to people that ask me if they plan to do any long distance travel

There is no other EV charging above 50kW at this time. 70kW is luxury in comparison.

We own a classic 85 that charges no faster than 88kW ... ever... not a problem for long distance driving.

On a 2000 km round trip we charge three times on the way there, one of which is a lunch stop, the other is an early dinner stop. We rarely wait for the charging....

You own a limo service that requires a different charging expectation compared to those like me who are only doing casual long distance trips....

Expectations may be different due to this.

Reactions: Sudre
There is no other EV charging above 50kW at this time. 70kW is luxury in comparison.

Your comparing Tesla to other EVs. I'm comparing Tesla now to Tesla the way it used to be. My 15 to 20 minute stops for long distance travel have doubled in time. Too long now to be acceptable to my wife on long distance trips. It was a tough enough sell to convince her when it was faster but it in the beginning it panned out as promised by Tesla and long distance travel only cost a little bit of extra time. With it taking double on average it's no longer viable.

Hopefully Tesla will get this sorted out because as long as charging is twice as slow on average, stall occupancy will be much higher and lines longer.

My wife enjoys the break during long trips. She also prefers to drive my Smart Electric for the school run in the morning. I get your situation is different but not everyone has your same situation...so why dissuade others from Tesla purchases if they drive long distance. That's my point... not that you don't have good personal reasons, just that people vary, so I wouldn't be too hasty to talk down road trips in Tesla's. Cheers.

When I first started reading these threads I thought maybe it was just in areas where Tesla was getting charged extra for going over some threshold on the SpC meter.. There are spots where they pay a premium after they'ved used so many megawatts... I also thought this might be some newer owners that don't fully understand taper or charge pairing. But now after coming back to this thread it is becoming more apparent to me that Tesla is doing something on their side, whether it be to discourage supercharging in general, or to protect the battery or charging gear- who knows. Don't count on getting a statement explaining this change in behavior from Tesla anytime soon. Communication is definitely not their forte.

I'm wonder if someone who has a newer non-free supercharging car could hop on the same supercharger as someone with an older "free supercharging" car and verify the speed is relatively the same or not... Just wondering out loud if maybe the free supercharging cars have been throttled across the board or in certain areas where as the pay folks' juice will go all the way to "11" like ours used to? o_O

• Love
Reactions: calisnow and sorka
My wife enjoys the break during long trips. She also prefers to drive my Smart Electric for the school run in the morning. I get your situation is different but not everyone has your same situation...so why dissuade others from Tesla purchases if they drive long distance. That's my point... not that you don't have good personal reasons, just that people vary, so I wouldn't be too hasty to talk down road trips in Tesla's. Cheers.

You've missed my point entirely. I'm ALWAYS asked by friends, family, and coworkers how driving my Tesla on long trips compares to driving our Prius. They want to know how much longer it takes. I always gave them our two long distance early travel examples where we drove to Phoenix and the Grand Canyon from the Bay Area and the other trip where we drove to Washougal, WA in which I point out that even though we had to charge 15 to 20 minutes on average, that was ALREADY the time it would take for my wife and daughter to get out, stretch their legs, go to the bathroom, and get drinks.

The point was there was no penalty driving the Tesla long distance over the ICE. There were no compromises except that our stops were more dictated by where the sueprchargers were.

That is no longer the case. If you're on a long distance trip where you have to keep a schedule for things that have been pre-planned and paid for, you can no longer count on taking your Tesla unless you budget a lot more time than if you took an ICE. When the charging speeds were good, there was no disadvantage to taking the Prius. Now there is.

IMG_9811.JPG
This was from last month in Tarrytown.

I'm routinely getting 100+kW charging (max i've seen was 118kW) on my P100D delivered in December 2016.

I've noticed there are four situations when I don't get >100kW: 1) when SOC is greater than about 62 percent 2) when the battery is not ideal temperature (too cold or too hot) 3) when someone else is on the same paired charger as me and 4) sometimes it seems like i need to remove and re-plug the connector - guess it's not getting a good connection sometimes.

I own a 2016 S85 pre FL.
I usually get up to 118KW on a low SoC when plugged in to a "new" SC. There are SCs that seem to be slower than others. For example: there is a 4 stall SC in Vienna that just gives out about 60KW max. But there is another 8 stall SV in Vienna "Neustadt" that gives the full 118KW. (it tapers down to 90 at SoC above 20% and lower like usual...)
Maybe there are power availability problems on some older chargers?

I also saw the cabeling issue where you just have to unplug and plug in again...

I just completed a substantive road trip – Boston area to Ocean City MD via Morristown NJ – about 1,000 miles total. This was my first road trip in a while and I was so disappointed with super charger performance that I sought out this thread to better understand. My last big trip was probably six months ago. Bottom line – supercharging seemed much slower than I recall. I did capture a couple of instances which didn’t really make sense to me.

1) East Brunswick,NJ (Daytime Picture) ~50 miles remaining, temperature 60 degrees, 4 stalls, 3 occupied including me
2) East Greenwich, RI (Nighttime Picture) ~60 miles remaining, temperature 50 degrees, 10 stalls, only me

Here are the detailed stats

View attachment 216322 View attachment 216323
EastGreenwich EastBrunswick

Why so low a charge rate in a large empty East Greenwich SC (61kW)?
Why are mi/hr lower in East Brunswick (218 vs 246) with higher charge rate (70kW vs 60kW)

I wish I had captured more details and will over the next few weeks – but the experience was very inconsistent and disconcerting.

Any additional thoughts?
I reached out directly to Tesla via e-mail regarding my observations. I was impressed that they responded very quickly although the initial response was somewhat incomplete. In essence they said -

"Supercharging has a maximum theoretical rate of charge upwards of 100 kW, which the battery will be able to charge at when its usable state of charge is around 5-60%, and under other ideal conditions. After around 60% of capacity, Supercharging speeds naturally begin to slow down marginally. This is a normal part of the vehicle’s battery management system, which regulates the battery for long-term health. In addition, other factors like weather, temperature, area power quality, and other use at the site can all potentially have an impact on the rate of charge."

After a few more e-mails - they acknowledged that the "East Greenwich RI" site has issues and is planned for repair.

So for now - what I have concluded is that my issues were the result of 1) simultaneous use at one site (70kW) and 2) a problematic SC at the other site (60kW).

My prior experiences were primarily at empty SC's so I hadn't seen the multi user performance degradation problem. I have more travel coming up and so will be watching like a hawk when I use the SC. Hopefully Tesla will be aggressive about improving charging performance to avoid site congestion degradation. Until that happens - it may still be a mixed experience at crowded sites.

• Helpful
Reactions: ikjadoon
Does anyone know if helps to reboot the center console and the in-dash screen?

I was gonna drive up to Tarrytown SC today to do some "testing" but got busy with errands and it's gg to have to wait.

Last week toping up at Peramus SC after visiting friends in North Jersey yealded less than stellar results:

I plugged in with 90 rated miles and the charger quickly ramped up to about 70 kW. But then it kept dropping from there rather than going up to 90 or 115kW I had hoped for.

I was in stall 2A and there was no one in 2B. There were 3 or 4 other model S charching while I was there.

. In addition, other factors like weather, temperature, area power quality, and other use at the site can all potentially have an impact on the rate of charge."

My prior experiences were primarily at empty SC's so I hadn't seen the multi user performance degradation problem.
I assume this is referring to paired stalls. There shouldn't be an impact on rate of charge if there are users at non-paired stalls. You didn't say if the other users when you charged were at a paired stall or not, but in other posts from other problematic superchargers the problem was low charging rates even when there was no one at the paired stall.

After a few more e-mails - they acknowledged that the "East Greenwich RI" site has issues and is planned for repair.

So for now - what I have concluded is that my issues were the result of 1) simultaneous use at one site (70kW) and 2) a problematic SC at the other site (60kW).

Why doesn't Tesla list this maintenance information publicly in the UI, so owners can plan their trips a bit more carefully? Instead of requiring an email chain and, apparently, it's been going on for a while.

• Love
Reactions: Mattzilla and sorka
I reached out directly to Tesla via e-mail regarding my observations. I was impressed that they responded very quickly although the initial response was somewhat incomplete. In essence they said -

So far all of my reduced charging experiences correspond to the supercharger team telling me that the stalls I'm using are experiencing reduced service and that a ticket has been submitted to repair it/them.

The problem is that it continues to happen repeatedly month after month at the same superchargers and they always say the same thing.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
So far all of my reduced charging experiences correspond to the supercharger team telling me that the stalls I'm using are experiencing reduced service and that a ticket has been submitted to repair it/them.

The problem is that it continues to happen repeatedly month after month at the same superchargers and they always say the same thing.
I've never contacted Tesla about it. Sometimes I skip from stall to stall. Other times I wait it out. Sometimes, I leave with insufficient charge, end up running out of charge someplace, and having to pull over and get some sort of nuisansome situation to remedy the problem. I've ended up in all sorts of oddball situations because of slow SuperCharger charging. I've come to depend less and less on SuperChargers and more and more on EVGO Fast DC chargers.

But, on my last three trips, I had good luck at the SuperChargers and got full speed almost every time. I used EVGO Fast DC to spot fill gaps in the SuperCharger network to great effect. And, one of the only slow SuperCharge experiences I had was at Seaside. It does seem to be worse at certain locations. I'd say Fremont and Dublin usually get the slow bug. The spots out in the long Interstates tend not to have this problem, and the spots in close to residences tend to be the ones with the slow bug.

One of the things that depending on EVGO Fast DC chargers does is it makes you get used to "32kW" as normal and "42kW" as fast, so when you get to a SuperCharger only outputting 30kW, you look at it and say "ok, normal speed then, nothing Super this time", and it doesn't bug you as much. You end up going to do shopping, or bugging the people in the neighborhood, or whatever, and make a nice walk out of it. I get 30kW - 50kW at the slow SuperChargers quite often, and just deal with it one way or the other. 50kW is still fast from that point of view. When it goes to full speed (97kW), I feel lucky!

Another thing I do is almost always charge to 100%. I never know when the next charging spot is going to be slow, broken, or hard to reach. This has saved me a huge bunch of hassle. This makes more sense in a 60 that is a software limited 75; if I ever unlocked the last 15kW, I'd have all this planning around leaving on time and stuff to consider, and right now, I just don't need the headaches.
View attachment 216398 This was from last month in Tarrytown.
Nice. Full speed! :D
Your comparing Tesla to other EVs. I'm comparing Tesla now to Tesla the way it used to be. My 15 to 20 minute stops for long distance travel have doubled in time. Too long now to be acceptable to my wife on long distance trips. It was a tough enough sell to convince her when it was faster but it in the beginning it panned out as promised by Tesla and long distance travel only cost a little bit of extra time. With it taking double on average it's no longer viable.

Hopefully Tesla will get this sorted out because as long as charging is twice as slow on average, stall occupancy will be much higher and lines longer.
I think you must have an experience with a larger battery than mine. That does a number of things:
  1. It means you can afford the luxuries of family, and passengers that have standards. They will notice a doubling in charge time, and bumming out at the charge place to drink 2x the amount of coffee you should have is not acceptable.
  2. Your larger battery lets you go further, meaning less of stopping to charge. If your battery was smaller, this would compound the problem.
  3. Your larger battery lets you charge faster. My 60 only charges at 97kW (it is a 75 inside). You said you sometimes get OVER 100kW; I never can.
Your expectations are based upon a reality that no longer exists. I sit at the charging stations, shop, browse, and generally take a lot of time. I read, I listen to podcasts. I don't think that works in a family setting. While you bought out of most of those problems with the higher range and larger battery allowing faster charging, Tesla no longer offers that fast charge capability.

Sorka, I think you have a good point.
My experience echos yours. It is, at best, annoying, and in my case, it puts me back in my ICE.

This isn't the first time I've had these kinds of problems when I use the Tesla for a relatively long trip to a destination where I'll have additional miles to drive upon arrival. Before, the superchargers (without crowds and operating at full speed) made Tesla use tolerable.
Bingo. This is the newest difference now. I think Battery Swap stations make a lot more sense now than back when Tesla tried it out in completely different circumstances. I'd start with five battery swap stations:
  1. Gilroy
  2. Santa Nella
  3. Tejon
  4. 101 near Santa Maria / Santa Barbara or so
  5. Reopen the one in the middle of Hwy 5 (it would cover a fair number of use cases, worth enough to be open, mostly because less capital costs for the existing station)
  6. Hollywood or so
They would be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all holidays. They would swap out whatever battery you have, and put in a "Highway Special", able to take you to the next Battery Swap on the other end of a North-South or South-North journey through California; probably a 100kWh pack with special Highway chemistry (it can even slow charge since it will be Tesla owned and charged, never charged by customer; in case the customer unwisely decides to self-charge, it would be limited to super slow charging, of course). Then, when you get to the far end Battery Swap, you'd swap again, and get the "Urban Special", one that allows fast charging, probably just the current 100kWh formula. On the way back, you swing by, pick up another Highway Special, and get yours back at the far end coming back. 4 swaps for a California North-South type trip. If you happen to be going To and From California and not up and down it, you can just swap in a regular fully charged 100kWh for regular use, and go out to where ever you are going, having to stop less often at SuperChargers since you have that extra 0kWh - 40kWh over what you normally have (unless you already have a 100kWh, in which case, you're probably too paranoid to try Battery Swap anyway).

During the party, Elon showed us it only takes two minutes to do a battery swap. That's not 1.5 hours!

I think a lot of us smaller battery type car drivers care a lot less about how special our very own personal battery is, and care more about just getting there. We won't mind swapping our battery out every so often! Maybe, very often.

Sometimes I get the impression the bosses over at Tesla never use their products, the way us customers do. We don't fly in jets (all of us); we have experienced Mercedes S and E class vehicles and other luxury brands before; etc.. Now, things have been sliding.
I was in Manteca last week and got one of my rare 118KW starting charges when I was at 10% or so SOC. I was the only one there. Two more teslas arrived within just 2 or 3 minutes and plugged in. I dropped almost immediately to 75KW while at 15% SOC. Neither of the arriving Teslas plugged into my stack.
That suggests that Tesla is facing some sort of demand charges or feeder cable issues. I don't know if that's true. I'd love to know what's actually going on. Is "0 users" the new perfect SuperCharger to show up at now?

Last edited:
Reactions: calisnow
I assume this is referring to paired stalls. There shouldn't be an impact on rate of charge if there are users at non-paired stalls. You didn't say if the other users when you charged were at a paired stall or not, but in other posts from other problematic superchargers the problem was low charging rates even when there was no one at the paired stall.

I was in Manteca last week and got one of my rare 118KW starting charges when I was at 10% or so SOC. I was the only one there. Two more teslas arrived within just 2 or 3 minutes and plugged in. I dropped almost immediately to 75KW while at 15% SOC. Neither of the arriving Teslas plugged into my stack.