Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to see the charging rate at around 25, 50, 75 and 90% SoC

This first video shows 40 kW at 68% SoC -- that probably fills the 75% marker

Thanks!
For sure. I'm down to 40% right now. I let it go a bit lower and then do an update. There's other factors to charge rate than status of battery level but it is a big one when you're on the upper portion of full.

So I picked up my 3 yesterday at the Fremont Hub. Supercharging wasn't necessary to get home with the long range but I wanted to show those with an S\X and non owner's (yet) how simple it was, even with paid usage.

Let me know if there's any thing else you want to see. I'll be adding more videos throughout the weekend.

what made you chose blue color? The pictures of blue colors seemed different from one to another & makes me hard to finalize the color choice.

Supercharging curve from: Let the journey begin

It looks like the long range Model 3 is going to be a Supercharging beast... :)

We took our new Model 3 LR to a supercharger today and I logged some data using TeslaFi. We went to the Dublin, CA supercharger so of course there was a line and we had to share a supercharger stack with another car so the data isn't optimal. But it was interesting to watch the charging power ramp up as the paired car used less power and finally unplugged.

I plotted the data I logged today (Model3 #1) along with the data in your post (Model3 #2) and compared it to a bunch of data I logged with my 2013 Model S 85 kWh and some data from a P100D that was posted in the Model S forum. My Model 3 data has some artifacts from sharing power with another car and perhaps something else, but I like how the two Model 3 curves match so well near the end.

Based on this initial data, it looks like the Model 3 LR will require less charging time on a road trip than a classic Model S 85 (especially since the Model 3 LR is so much more efficient). A Model S 100D is still probably the road trip king, but I haven't done a proper comparison that takes the efficiency different into account.

Model3_supercharger1.jpg

We took our new Model 3 LR to a supercharger today and I logged some data using TeslaFi. We went to the Dublin, CA supercharger so of course there was a line and we had to share a supercharger stack with another car so the data isn't optimal. But it was interesting to watch the charging power ramp up as the paired car used less power and finally unplugged.

I plotted the data I logged today (Model3 #1) along with the data in your post (Model3 #2) and compared it to a bunch of data I logged with my 2013 Model S 85 kWh and some data from a P100D that was posted in the Model S forum. My Model 3 data has some artifacts from sharing power with another car and perhaps something else, but I like how the two Model 3 curves match so well near the end.

Based on this initial data, it looks like the Model 3 LR will require less charging time on a road trip than a classic Model S 85 (especially since the Model 3 LR is so much more efficient). A Model S 100D is still probably the road trip king, but I haven't done a proper comparison that takes the efficiency different into account.

View attachment 274728
Great post! But wouldn’t the model 3 long range be the road trip king due to its lower wh/m?

Supercharging curve from: Let the journey begin

It looks like the long range Model 3 is going to be a Supercharging beast... :)

based on this data I extrapolated a few more points and made this graph.

Assuming a 80kWh battery for LR, it looks you are getting:

- around 1.1C from 0 to 80% charge
- close to 1C from a 0 to 100% charge

Untitled.png

Great post! But wouldn’t the model 3 long range be the road trip king due to its lower wh/m?

This comparison gets a little trickier because the Model S 100D has more overall range (if you take the EPA numbers at face value) and can achieve a nearly full battery more quickly. But the Model 3 LR goes further with the same amount of energy. So the Model 3 LR would have an advantage if the superchargers were close together because all the charging time would be spent at full power and each kWh takes you farther in the Model 3. But the Model S 100D would have an advantage if the chargers were spaced farther apart because then the Model 3 charging would start to be more limited by the charging power tapering off when the battery is nearly full.

Building a proper model that takes all of this into account and then using it against realistic road trip routes could certainly be done. And it looks like Tesla recently did just this: Go Anywhere | Tesla

If you choose the cannonball run route for your road trip (between the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, CA and the Red Ball garage in New York), Tesla's tool predicts the Model S 100D will make the trip 28 minutes faster than the Model 3 LR (55 hours vs. 55 hours 28 minutes). But they would both have a substantial advantage over a Model X P100D (59 hours 24 minutes). Of course, the model X can take a lot more luggage, snacks, pets, etc. along with you on the trip so I suppose there is more to the title of road trip king than just charging time . . .

MS_100D_cannonball.jpg
MS_100D_cannonball.jpg
MX_P100D_cannonball.jpg

Attachments

• M3_LR_cannonball.jpg
    M3_LR_cannonball.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
Building a proper model that takes all of this into account and then using it against realistic road trip routes could certainly be done.
Simple minded guy that I am, using relative battery capacities as a surrogate for charging rate and MPGe for efficiency,

The Model 3 has a 130/106 Advantage in efficiency,
but a 80/100 disadvantage in charging rate

So
(130*80)/(100*106) = 0.98x of a P100
Every hour of P100 tripping takes about 61 minutes in a Model 3

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett