Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
dandelot, Yesterday at 3:14 PM
Wondered if a light on each SC station that turns on (not obnoxious, one hopes) saying 'fully charged'
would be a good thing or a bad thing.

The app already tells us when the car is fully charged, so a red light on the charger may only serve to frustrate someone who is waiting, without adding anything positive. If our phone could also tell us there's someone waiting for our spot . . . activated perhaps similar to a 'crosswalk' button on a post.

SuperChargers are also not designed to Fully Charge your car. They are designed to add miles in the sweet spot of the charging cycle, not fill it up to the brim.

Charging up a bunch of miles, and driving down the road for a few hours is what they were designed to do, rather than to be a source of free electricity to those who do not wish to charge at home.

People know when they are working a system and taking advantage of others in need of a charge to selfishly get some free stuff.

Local people should resist charging up at busy Superchargers. Maybe come when it will not cause a waiting line.

Reactions: TexasEV and dsm363
Taking @dandelot's suggestion up a notch, I envision a giant cartoon-like sledgehammer that rises from behind the Supercharger once charging is complete. It takes 15 minutes to rise to full height and takes a practice swing three times, at 5 minute intervals - before finally rapidly smashing down on the vehicle over and over and over again.

• Funny
Reactions: brianman
And how exactly would you give them the benefit of doubt if you were shopping for groceries? You wouldn't be there. And with the Model 3 hitting 200,000 reservations in 24 hours you don't think Supercharge capable cars will double at some point? Check.
Who, exactly, is "them"? I'm not talking about what I or anyone else should do at some point in the indefinite future -- I'm talking about now and in the near future. And right now the average occupancy of my local SC is zero and the peak is 1. I agree that the introduction of the Model 3 is likely to change things, even in low-usage areas like here, but that's quite a ways off even best-case (where "best" means most rapid rate of adoption). Btw, the "double" parameter wasn't my contribution -- I was responding to that.

Do you get any kind of notification on the mobile app when supercharging completes? That would seem like the easiest
notification system to implement.
Yes, you do. The sentiment here in California is that there are a significant number of people who go shopping for long periods, or even go as far as to leave their car overnight. They couldn't care less about a notification. The truth is, for all of us who arrive and leave a SC and see a car that was already there and still there when we are done, we have no idea if they parked there for hours, or arrived 1 minute earlier with a lower state of charge.

So far, with all the discussions about notifications, leaving notes, throttling charge, banning use, and everything else under the sun, the absolute BEST suggestion I have heard so far is dandelot's idea of having a light on each stall. It is frickin' brilliant. It would take a real narcissist to leave a car at a busy SC after it is full if they know that this is being advertised to the world. I would take it a step further: Green when charging, Yellow when nearly full, Red when complete.

Reactions: mblakele
Yes, you do. The sentiment here in California is that there are a significant number of people who go shopping for long periods, or even go as far as to leave their car overnight. They couldn't care less about a notification. The truth is, for all of us who arrive and leave a SC and see a car that was already there and still there when we are done, we have no idea if they parked there for hours, or arrived 1 minute earlier with a lower state of charge.

So far, with all the discussions about notifications, leaving notes, throttling charge, banning use, and everything else under the sun, the absolute BEST suggestion I have heard so far is dandelot's idea of having a light on each stall. It is frickin' brilliant. It would take a real narcissist to leave a car at a busy SC after it is full if they know that this is being advertised to the world. I would take it a step further: Green when charging, Yellow when nearly full, Red when complete.
Yes, this is a brilliant idea. It will at least allow public shaming to do most of the heavy work and would be almost trivial to implement compared to other schemes.

Only slightly more complicated: a counter that starts counting minutes (and hours, if necessary) past full after some
reasonable grace period (15-30 minutes?). Unless you're willing to stick around it is hard (well, it should be hard) to
shame someone for only being a couple minutes late back to their car, which is all you really know with the simple
light scheme. Or it could display the number of notifications that have been sent... ;)

I suppose a simpler compromise would be for the red light to flash after a certain amount of time,
or faster and faster as time goes on.

1200 plus posts here... just curious, has anyone seen/posted one of these 'notes' that OP references?
Yes, a ways back there's a link to an article that contains a copy of one of these notes.
IMO, Tesla definitely could have put more effort into wordsmithing those notes. There are rumors that
the notes went to significant numbers of "inappropriate" people, but I haven't seen those claims substantiated.

someone previously posted that the rear brake light LED 's over the rear window should act as an indicator of charge level while charging. You could even have a solid individual light to indicate the target charge level. Perhaps if it started flashing when charging is finished and still plugged in would help to motivate the owners to move them!

Or simply have the mobile app give each stall and how long the car has been plugged in on it 1A=120 min...etc No additional hardware would be needed then.
This and other timers are interesting ideas. Your suggestion is, as you said, really easy to implement. The issue I have with this approach is that it a little "on the nose" for pointing out specifically how long someone has been there. While I would personally like to have this information, I do not think this would consistent with TM's message, and could even result in supercharger rage. I believe that a safer approach would be to show when someone is done charging, without going the extra step of clearly shaming them.

So, perhaps a combination of these suggestions could be implemented: enable within the app, or better, in the Tesla firmware, to show which stalls are in use prior to arrival, and which of these cars are charging, almost full, and completed.

I'll be interested to see the upcoming implementation of Supercharger congestion data in the new firmware (per Elon's tweet). I wonder how much specific stall data will be disseminated, or if it's just going to be "this location is busy" kind of thing. Probably the latter.