Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well some superchargers are not designed for long distance travel but are more destination focused. For example the Roseville, CA supercharger is at a shopping mall, while just up the street on Interstate 80 at the Tesla store in Rocklin is another set. These are more suited to those that are traveling Hwy 80. They are only about 5 miles apart.

So if you did local charging at the mall are you a violator?

Either way though, I think we all can agree on one thing. Whomever is responsible for Tesla's PR and corporate communications departments needs to be replaced by someone who actually knows what the hell they are doing.

His name is Ricardo Reyes, and I agree. In fact, my old VP of Marketing from the late 90s - Mark Riley from DigitalSquare - would whip Tesla's communications into shape rather quickly.

You can't abuse a system that you already paid for. Unlimited use of the superchargers is included in the price of the car. Period. I've already paid for any juice from a supercharger for the life of the car. Period. It's not free, it's part of the premium included in the price. If Tesla did not include this as part of the terms and conditions, I probably wouldn't have paid this much for a Model S or even bought the car. They sold this feature as much as they did any other option on the car and now they have to honor it. Period. If they're worried about their profits they need to raise the price of the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaff
You can't abuse a system that you already paid for. Unlimited use of the superchargers is included in the price of the car. Period.
Wrong. Tesla promised free long distance supercharger usage in advertising. They did not promise *unlimited* supercharger usage or usage will always be available with no conditions whatsoever. To use an extreme example: if someone decided keep their car plugged in at a supercharger spot 24/7, that is clearly abuse.

If Tesla did not include this as part of the terms and conditions, I probably wouldn't have paid this much for a Model S or even bought the car.
There are no "term and conditions" or contract where Tesla guarantees minimal supercharger access. Tesla can choose to close all their superchargers if they find it uneconomical to offer it any longer and they would not have violated any contract. This is different from service contracts that people like to use as an example (for example cell phone, internet, utility service contracts).

To use a less extreme example, Tesla can choose to leave abuser heavy stations to languish and be congested and they are not obligated to expand that station (or build new ones nearby).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaff
Sure, but when you are on a trip and 3-4 people ahead of you in line are locals grabbing $4 worth of free electricity (instead of charging at home), I wonder if your perspective shifts...

Exactly and I'm seeing this happen, at least in CA, more and more as time goes on. This simply has to stop. Unfortunately, I don't see how Tesla can do anything about it. Even if they could, why would they? As Tesla has said, the electrical cost is rather small in the grand scheme and it's an attractive selling point.

I'm already very nervous about the Model 3.... There isn't nearly enough capacity at nearly all CA superchargers to handle this influx. For instance there are still only 4 stalls at Folsom... FOUR.... It's essentially a required stop going to SLT.

Jeff

Sure, but when you are on a trip and 3-4 people ahead of you in line are locals grabbing $4 worth of free electricity (instead of charging at home), I wonder if your perspective shifts...

Good point. AMEN!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that word means what you think it means... Lifetime != Unlimited

Care to show me a document that says "unlimited" in it?

I think the warranty document lists 8 years / "unlimited" mileage on the drivetrain. ;)