Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging.Life database

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I delete or change a check-in? My Leonberg - Glemseck, Germany (#400) is wrong. It turns out there was a closed SC just next door and the Check-in dialog picked the wrong one, I noticed only when the map pin failed to dissappear. Strangely enough, the closed SC has no pin on the map, but it still picked it up on my check-in dialog.
Go to the "me" page. Scroll down to your list of check-ins, click the date associated with the check-in that needs to change and there should be a delete option there. Delete and re-add as appropriate.

We'll be improving that process at some point but this is the process for now.

How do I delete or change a check-in? My Leonberg - Glemseck, Germany (#400) is wrong. It turns out there was a closed SC just next door and the Check-in dialog picked the wrong one, I noticed only when the map pin failed to dissappear. Strangely enough, the closed SC has no pin on the map, but it still picked it up on my check-in dialog.

Hrmmmm. I thought that I had excluded 'CLOSED_PERM' from the GPS checkin selector. I'll have to check that out. (Edit: Nope. It'll let you check into anything, in case the status is wrong at supercharge.info.)

When you're looking at your checkin list, if you click on the date, it should load details about your check-in. There will be a link for "Delete This Check-in". Just tap it and it'll mark it as deleted.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Darren S
Congratulation to #400!

Reactions: Darren S
It would be cool if after a check in it automatically goes back to my map. That's is what I do after every check in.
Both check-in forms now have a selector below the comment fields that allows you to select where to go after you click submit. Your map is one of the three options. This selection should be sticky.
Screenshot_20220722-231330~2.png

Both check-in forms now have a selector below the comment fields that allows you to select where to go after you click submit. Your map is one of the three options. This selection should be sticky.

Do note that it's only sticky during your current login session. If you logout, change browsers, etc., this setting will be reset.

Supercharging.Life is a relational database for the Superchagers Visited competition. Completed in the summer of 2022, it replaces the Google Sheets approach used for the last couple of years. This thread also largely supersedes the Superchargers visited 3.0 thread.

The database focuses on enabling competitors to register check-ins to track their visits to new-to-them superchargers. At launch, it provides a rudimentary map for each competitor to see nearby chargers they need to visit as well as those they already have visited. The power of these maps is that they are dynamic and include the latest data. There is also a link to a new Tableau site with more elegant visualizations, but Tableau does not allow automatic connections so the site has to be updated manually.

Supercharging.Life leverages data from Supercharge.Info and we work closely with the admins there to ensure data integrity. We keep additional data fields not available in supercharge.info.

How to Login​

To use Supercharging.Life, you need either a Google or GitHub account as they perform our authentication. To initiate your account, follow one of these processes:

Send a Private Message here in TMC to at least three of the admins below. Tell us which of the authentication mechanisms you intend to use and the email address that is associated with that login. The admins will then provide you instructions depending on whether you are an existing competitor or a new competitor.

If you still don't want to enter your own check-ins, let us know and we'll set things up. Post your visits to the Wiki - Superchargers Visited thread and an admin will get them entered. You'll still be able to use supercharging.life as a guest, including accessing your entries.

Overview of key functionality

On desktop or mobile, you will be presented with a list of actions you can take. At launch, this list is as follows:

View attachment 827537
  • "Me" - shows your check-ins and other key information, like any badges you've earned. This is a simple, single-click way to access your information.
  • "Supercharger List" allows you to browse the entire global supercharger list and all of the details associated with each.
  • "Supercharger Map" puts superchargers on a map in our normalish colors: Red for open, Yellow for Construction, and Blue for permit. To ensure the map is responsive, it will only load North American superchargers by default, but you can select "Load all" if desired.
  • "Competitors" allows you to find and view a competitor's check-in record
  • "Check-in Now" allows you to create a check-in. It will show superchargers near you for easy check-in but you can also search for any supercharger if you are entering data later.
  • "Recent Check-ins" - creates a list of all of the recent check-ins from all competitors.

Competitor View

In the competitor view, you will see key metrics about yourself (or whoever you are viewing). The "Map" link will take you to an up-to-date view of superchargers for that specific competitor. Grey pins are locations they've visited. This map view pulls directly from the database. The Tableau link takes you to the competitor's view on Tableau where there is more information available and the map is more configurable. However, it is not updated dynamically so may be behind by hours or days. Tableau includes a variety of other views and tools, like the ability to see the state of the supercharger network at any point in history.

View attachment 827540
Below the competitor information are the individual check-ins. Here you can see details of each check-in by clicking the date, which also allows you to delete that check-in if you made a mistake. If you want to see details about the supercharger, click the name.

How to search the competitor or supercharger lists
On a desktop computer, when you mouse over the Region, Name, or Status headers on the superchargers list, or the Name header on the Competitors list, you will see a hamburger menu. When you select that menu, a filter selection will present itself and you can type a few characters of whatever you're looking for to narrow the list.

On mobile, long press in the heading field to pull up the search tool.
View attachment 827542
View attachment 827543

Adding Supercharging.Life to your smartphone's home screen​

It is easy to add a link to Supercharging.Life right to your smartphone's home screen. This will give you single-click access to the database at any time.

Android

1. Open Supercharging.Life in Chrome.
  2. From the hamburger menu, select "Add to Home screen"
  3. You can then find the icon on your home screen and drag it to wherever you want, like a travel folder, as shown below. To organize an icon on your home screen, long press on it and then move it.
View attachment 828514

iOS​

1. Open Supercharging.Life in the browser.
  2. Click the share icon at the bottom
  3. Click "Add to Home Screen"
  4. Name your icon
View attachment 828515
Thank you and the team for this splendid coding. Looking forward to an iOS and android app.

Thank you and the team for this splendid coding. Looking forward to an iOS and android app.
I’m curious what benefit you see a native app having over the current web app. You need a live Internet connection to save your check-ins to the server and see up-to-date information, so what benefit would you see for an implementation difference? The current interface is lightweight and very fast to respond (for my limited use at least).

I’m curious what benefit you see a native app having over the current web app. You need a live Internet connection to save your check-ins to the server and see up-to-date information, so what benefit would you see for an implementation difference? The current interface is lightweight and very fast to respond (for my limited use at least).
It’s been my experience that a dedicated app has larger buttons and an easier means of use than most web based apps. For example I find the app for ABRP easier than navigating the web based ABRP on a mobile device. For those of us who are old enough to require reading glasses, apps are generally easier to operate one handed.

Having said that, this web based interface is well thought out and not terribly difficult to use. Clearly a great deal of thought went into the design, thinking about users on mobile devices.

Reactions: StephenBrown2
It’s been my experience that a dedicated app has larger buttons and an easier means of use than most web based apps. For example I find the app for ABRP easier than navigating the web based ABRP on a mobile device. For those of us who are old enough to require reading glasses, apps are generally easier to operate one handed.

Having said that, this web based interface is well thought out and not terribly difficult to use. Clearly a great deal of thought went into the design, thinking about users on mobile devices.
Our tool is very focused. For the average person, it does two things well: 1) let you check-in and 2) let you see a map. We are pushing all advanced visualizations to Tableau, which has powerful features to configure those visualizations well for mobile use.

For me, the key benefit of apps would be potentially merging the visualizations and the check-in features seamlessly.

Reactions: David99
Summary of work completed during the Week of 29 July

We completed the following:
Favicons
Your browser tabs and smartphone home screen icons will now show an image of a supercharger as their favicon.

Using Supercharging.Life from the car's browser
@NKYTA asked how to squash a location pop-up on his in-car nav's browser when trying to use Supercharging.LIfe. We tested and identified how the browser enables you to allow geolocation on a website-by-website basis. When you visit a website that requests the ability to get your location, a location pin will display on the right side of the URL line. That pin allows you to enable geolocation for that site. Enable it for supercharging.life, and it'll work great. As long as you interact with supercharging.life in the car browser at least once a week, it should stay logged-in and easy to access. It works quite well in the browser and is a very handy way to check-in or see your map.
1658865163133.png

Accessing Google Maps and Apple Maps from Supercharging.Life
Several people asked for it to access a supercharger's location in Google Maps or Apple Maps (or ideally to share it directly to the car's nav). It is not feasible for the supercharging.life app to share directly to Tesla's nav but we did discover that we didn't have links to Google Maps or Apple Maps on your personal maps within Supercharging.Life. Those links have now been added. To share to the car, click a pin on your Supercharging.Life map -> then click the mapping tool of your choice -> within your mapping tool, share to Tesla.
1658865480699.png

Tableau Leaderboard time selector
The Tableau Leaderboard now has a date slider titled "See Leaderboard as of." It'll always default to the current day when loading. Drag it to any point in time to see what the leaderboard looked like at that point in the competition Don't forget that the Horse race visualization is another great way to see how the competition has evolved over time.

1658863667508.png

Tableau Wayback Tool
@Bighorn asked for a way to see his states-cleared map at previous dates. That request got the creative juices flowing, resulting in the Wayback Tool. This new set of visualizations allows you to see four different maps as they existed at any time, going back to the first superchargers, including:
  • The Supercharger map by status
  • The Supercharger map, including your visits colored in grey
  • Just your supercharger visits color-coded by year
  • Your states cleared map
All visualizations recreate the map as it would have looked at the time. Only one map is shown at a time. Use the selector to change to a different map. For example, the image below shows my supercharger map as of 11/29/2019, when the Transcanada highway was still under construction.
1658864340866.png

Check-in enhancements (chose where to go next)
@David99 requested the ability to return to the map after performing a check-in rather than the competitor detail page. We added a sticky selection box (within a session) to the check-in form that allows you to decide whether to return to the competitor detail page, go to the map, or stay on the check-in form to add more stops.
1658864719858.png

Data integrity and back-end improvements
We made numerous backend improvements to the database to improve data integrity and squash some bugs. in some cases, this required fixing data in Supercharge.info. We also refined our scripts that operate on the data we get from supercharge.info. Thanks to everyone who identified bugs: @Bighorn, @Bredo as well as @tes-s and others for backend data integrity stuff.

Minor feature request. The old spreadsheet color-coded the leaderboard based on how recent each person's latest check-in was. We get a sense of it with the YTD/QTD counts but that's not quite the same as knowing at a glance who the most recently active players are.

I'm guessing it would be easy to add a similar color-coding to the supercharging.life leaderboard, and/or add a latest check-in column to the table. Thoughts?

Reactions: dhkaufman