Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very unfortunate that both the owner and the service center missed the fact that the part was in such bad shape (I'm sure that's part of the reason why Tesla offered to cover some of the costs), but it happens from time to time. Owning a car means that sometimes you need to deal with stuff breaking.

Did I miss where someone other than OP, who has been shown to embellish the facts, stated that car had been in for service recently...or even regularly?

Reactions: vgrinshpun
Tell that to my my Previous Lexus 334K miles and my current Prius with 224K miles.

I've driven over a million miles combined on 8 or so cars and have never had a ball joint fail or become lose. i do not believe that you've had JOINTS(plural) go bad at 20K miles.

What does one have to do with the other? Did he claim they were on a Lexus and a Prius driven on the exact same roads as you in the exact same manner? You are using the same flawed reasoning as the OP: my experience must be true for everyone.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
My Model S has logged over 76,000 miles with no suspension problem.

Because I live in the drought California and hardly experience any pot holes or bad road surface so I can't boast about my problem free suspension system.

I live in a California too but apparently you and I live in different Californias because the one I live in is notorious for bad roads and potholes ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Az_Rael
I live in a California too but apparently you and I live in different Californias because the one I live in is notorious for bad roads and potholes ;)

derail alert, i recently took a trip to detroit michigan, man... it was refreshing to see how bad a bad road can be. i thought a few pot holes and a bit of cracking constituted a bad road. i have since changed my stance.

• Funny
Reactions: sorka and techmaven
What does one have to do with the other? Did he claim they were on a Lexus and a Prius driven on the exact same roads as you in the exact same manner? You are using the same flawed reasoning as the OP: my experience must be true for everyone.

Did you actually read what I was responding to?:

[
@JRP3 LoLwat
no ball joints usually are kaput at about 50k on modern vehicles
about the only time you can see more then that is if you do nothing but steady highway driving
as for the corriosion it simply looks like it wasn't greased regularly and I have seen far far worse ones

And my response:

Tell that to my my Previous Lexus 334K miles and my current Prius with 224K miles.

I've driven over a million miles combined on 8 or so cars and have never had a ball joint fail or become lose. i do not believe that you've had JOINTS(plural) go bad at 20K miles.

My point is it's not normal for:

"no ball joints usually are kaput at about 50k on modern vehicles about the only time you can see more then that ...."

I've made no statements at all about the OPs issue and I won't personally speculate on whether there's a real issue or not and will wait to see the results of the investigation. I do believe the OP was misleading in saying that the NHTSA said the part was faulty when it's clear that's NOT what the NHTSA said.

"This problem" refers to general suspension collapse, front or rear.
You may interpret Tesla's statement that way. I certainly don't.

Just to quote the blog post:

"With respect to the car that is discussed in the blog post that led to yesterday’s news (more on the blog post below), the suspension ball joint experienced very abnormal rust. We haven’t seen this on any other car, suggesting a very unusual use case."

How you get that to mean they haven't seen any other suspension collapses, I have no idea.

Daily Kanban, about us page:

"Edward Niedermeyer and Bertel Schmitt are available to work for hire, but not for $25 a post"

That pretty much speaks for itself.
LOL. Here comes the rabid attacks of rabid fans and the CEO. No one denies that Tesla is imposing NDAs to cover up, but ad homine attacks they sure do. Including the CEO.

And Tesla made it clear that they don't expect the NDA to cover discussions with NHTSA. The NDA reads very much as a standard CYA verbage and if it were me looking to sign it, I would have run it up to Tesla management to clarify if it meant to cover NHTSA. Likely they just need to add a line that says that the agreement doesn't cover discussions with government regulatory bodies. Not much to see here.

Tesla denies in a blog post, lol!. But the wordings in the agreement says something else. It specifically asks to keeps the incidents confidential. No one outside this forum of rabid fans have any difficulty understanding that this is an NDA. NHTSA did not have trouble understanding it. if not from NHTSA, then from whom did Tesla try to hide the defects & issues? From potential customers who their customers refer? Mr. Musk is the master of excuses when caught red handed.

"The Goodwill is being provided to you without any admission of liability or wrongdoing or acceptance of any facts by Tesla, and shall not be treated as or considered evidence of Tesla’s liability with respect to any claim or incidents. You agree to keep confidential our provision of the Goodwill, the terms of this agreement and the incidents or claims leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. In accepting the Goodwill, you hereby release and discharge Tesla and related persons or entities from any and all claims or damages arising out of or in any way connected with any claims or incidents leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. You further agree that you will not commence, participate or voluntarily aid in any action at law or in equity or any legal proceeding against Tesla or related persons or entities based upon facts related to the claims or incidents leading to or related to this Goodwill. "

Last edited:
Tesla denies in a blog post, lol!. But the wordings in the agreement says something else. It specifically asks to keeps the incidents confidential. No one outside this forum of rabid fans have any difficulty understanding that this is an NDA. NHTSA did not have trouble understanding it. if not from NHTSA, then from whom did Tesla try to hide the defects & issues? From potential customers who their customers refer? Mr. Musk is the master of excuses when caught red handed.

"The Goodwill is being provided to you without any admission of liability or wrongdoing or acceptance of any facts by Tesla, and shall not be treated as or considered evidence of Tesla’s liability with respect to any claim or incidents. You agree to keep confidential our provision of the Goodwill, the terms of this agreement and the incidents or claims leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. In accepting the Goodwill, you hereby release and discharge Tesla and related persons or entities from any and all claims or damages arising out of or in any way connected with any claims or incidents leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. You further agree that you will not commence, participate or voluntarily aid in any action at law or in equity or any legal proceeding against Tesla or related persons or entities based upon facts related to the claims or incidents leading to or related to this Goodwill. "
They definitely need to clarify the wording on the NDA. That's all that's needed to satisfy NHTSA.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
I'm pretty new to this forum, but I have to note that this place seems to be infested with people clearly intent on doing harm to the company. This thread in particular seems to have a number of trolls circulating within. Bizarre behavior for what I took to be an "enthusiast" site.

I also ride motorcycles, and have participated at several web forums dedicated to particular brands and models, and while there were plenty of posts about mechanical problems and service issues and even dealer and manufacturer complaints, I cannot recall encountering participants who were actively pursuing a company's demise or failure.

But this is a different world. Much like its namesake, Tesla's disruption will not be unchallenged by those with a heavy stake in the survival of ICE powered transport, and those folks have deep, deep pockets. This incident is a very minor skirmish in what looks to be a long, bloody war. Unfortunately.

Well, I've decided to take 2 actions prompted by this controversy

1. Extend the warranty

2. Add "inspect ball joints" to my seasonal tire change overs, once in Fall in prep for winter and once in Spring for summer driving. This gets added beside "remove all brake discs and check for seized inside brake pads" (also at every tire change over)

I drive year round on salted roads in Canada, and I expect this to be rougher on undercarriage parts than typical. Many people here are done with a car after 10 years due to rust and corrosion.

In my mind if I get 10 years out of my Tesla, I'm doing well with it.

If I need or want to, I will replace components to keep it going longer.

My other car is a 1987 Mercedes 300D sedan, a diesel. And coincidentally I'm replacing all 8 suspension links in the rear this week. For the second time in its life with me. Once done, the car rides like new again and is amazingly good handler on twisty roads or open stretches. These links, afterall, are wear items.

Last edited:
They have my address and should of googled earth my address before making such an outrageous statement. Tesla has lost all credibility.
The above statement is an out and out lie. I live on a paved road in the city of Connellsville pa. The car was towed from a dirt road as I stated earlier because I was out morel mushroom hunting that day with my wife. We were traveling about 2 miles an hour on a bumpy back road. Most of my 70k miles are on the highway. Telsa shame on you.

I rather suspect that Tesla meant to say “drives” down a dirt road rather than “lives”. Let’s hope that gets corrected.

So how many times would you estimate that you have driven down that bumpy dirt road in your Model S?

Last edited:
Isn't the bold text simply means you agree not to sue or join lawsuit against tesla due to the incident?
You sue in court, not in highway safety, I would think ?

Yes, that was Tesla's intention. Unfortunately, it seems some people interpreted that to mean they can't report it to the NHSTA.

@Dr ValueSeeker , Esq. has determined Tesla did that to cover up and hide all repairs from the NHSTA.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Did you actually read what I was responding to?:

I did and that is not the quote you actually responded to--you responded to this quote from @Legistu in post 514:

Hell I have had ball joints go bad at 20k
you expecting a major suspension part to last 140K
sorry bud thats now how it works

And I was wondering, without any idea of what vehicles and operating conditions @Legistsu was talking about, how you can make the determination:

i do not believe that you've had JOINTS(plural) go bad at 20K miles.

based on the fact that you have never had issues with your cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.