Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have my address and should of googled earth my address before making such an outrageous statement. Tesla has lost all credibility.
The above statement is an out and out lie. I live on a paved road in the city of Connellsville pa. The car was towed from a dirt road as I stated earlier because I was out morel mushroom hunting that day with my wife. We were traveling about 2 miles an hour on a bumpy back road. Most of my 70k miles are on the highway. Telsa shame on you.

This is a problem. Tesla need to get the facts straight before issuing their response. It appears Mr. Cordaro does not "live" on a dirt road.
There also appears to be more than "one" owner reporting a similar problem

Do you even see what you wrote? It doesn't hang together logically.

If Mr. Cordaro was paying for this repair completely, there would be no NDA. He can blab all he wants. If Tesla is comp'ing him in some way, they don't want him talking. Maybe because they don't want to have to comp everyone in every case, which is what would happen. Tesla is under zero obligation to offer free or reduced cost repairs after warranty. Zero obligation.

The NTHSA has reiterated that owners and Tesla are to report such safety problems when they occur.

I have had several interactions with SCs, and they have been excellent, and very honest and open book.

1) when I first reported the brake booster no power due to startup timing, SC immediately offered to tow the car (then send a loaner to my house when I said the car drives and brakes fine otherwise). They got headquarter engineers involved and even replaced whatever parts and send the stuff to headquarter for diagnose. I am pretty sure they take the safety stuff very seriously. The service invoice stated exactly what was done and why. No hiding anything.

2) When doing LTE upgrade, they noticed one of the panel speaker was not working. They replaced it. Well, I did not even know it was not working.

3) Looking at the Ludicrous upgrade invoice, they replaced something with abnormal corrosion and re-seal everything. Something I would never know and everything documented. Even the 12v battery was replaced as they thought it did not hold charge quite well or something. I verbally informed them ahead of time of some wind noise and very minor stuff, everything was documented and taken care.

4) After body shop repair (due to accident), I noticed the fan for charging was not quite right and talked to SC. They found the loose connector. When I questioned why their post-repair check did not catch it, they acknowledged that the check did not cover everything due to body shop doing the repair and separation of responsibilities. But they went ahead and spend half a day re-checked everything anyways just to make sure.

so, here you go. Everything is straightforward and those service guys are professional and friendly. Tesla has my trust and I vote with my wallet.

The NTHSA has reiterated that owners and Tesla are to report such safety problems when they occur.

And Tesla made it clear that they don't expect the NDA to cover discussions with NHTSA. The NDA reads very much as a standard CYA verbage and if it were me looking to sign it, I would have run it up to Tesla management to clarify if it meant to cover NHTSA. Likely they just need to add a line that says that the agreement doesn't cover discussions with government regulatory bodies. Not much to see here.

It is really quite limited compared to an ICE. So how is your specific experience compared to what your manual states?
Don't misinterpret this, as I love my MS and have mostly praise for Tesla. They have been fantastic in almost every way imaginable to deal with and the car is a dream in so many ways. That said, in the relatively short period that I've owned my MS it has almost had more parts replaced than I've ever had to replace in any previous vehicle I've owned. Many of these were done preventatively, unprompted, and completely under Tesla's goodwill.

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?
Honestly, if Tesla claims it investigates cases like this fully, then I would expect them to at least pull the logs to see where the car has actually driven before blaming that as a reason for the failure and to talk with the guys recovering the car. Had they done so it would have been pretty instantly clear that where they recovered the car is not the road the OP was living on. But they did in fact make that error. That puts a serious dent in their credibility on having investigated this case fully.

And Tesla made it clear that they don't expect the NDA to cover discussions with NHTSA. The NDA reads very much as a standard CYA verbage and if it were me looking to sign it, I would have run it up to Tesla management to clarify if it meant to cover NHTSA. Likely they just need to add a line that says that the agreement doesn't cover discussions with government regulatory bodies. Not much to see here.

Maybe. Or maybe the Tesla person who gives you the form just needs to explain that Tesla Motors are well aware of contract law, and would not attempt you to sign away rights that you cannot legally sign away. Because any contract that would try to have you do that would not be enforceable.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
It would be amazing if only one owner had faulty parts in the suspension. With over 100k cars on the road, faults are inevitable.

The statistic here in Norway from the semiannual vehicle inspection on cars older than 4 years is that 11% of cars have faults relating to the shock absorbers and stabilizers, and 8% have faults relating to suspension joints. If only 1% of Model S are driving around with faults in the suspension, that's over 1000 cars.

Do you even see what you wrote? It doesn't hang together logically.

If Mr. Cordaro was paying for this repair completely, there would be no NDA. He can blab all he wants. If Tesla is comp'ing him in some way, they don't want him talking. Maybe because they don't want to have to comp everyone in every case, which is what would happen. Tesla is under zero obligation to offer free or reduced cost repairs after warranty. Zero obligation.

So basically, he first said Tesla wouldn't pay any of the repair so he started this thread to express his anger and frustration. Later he said that Tesla agreed to split the cost with him, but at that point he was so frustrated with them that he told them no and posted in this thread that Tesla can stick it. The final thing he said on payment was that he and Tesla came to a mutual understanding that he was happy with but which he either couldn't or didn't want to discuss. Does this mean complete compd? 90% comped? No clue.

But ultimately, as I stated earlier in this thread, Tesla first did what was expected and charged him for repairs since his car was, in fact, out of warranty. Then they tried to meet him in the middle, but by that time FUDster Niedermeyer had him so worked up that he let his emotions do his talking and he refused Tesla's offer. Finally some level of good financial sense kicked in and he agreed to some form of deal with Tesla.

I have no doubt both Dr. Fud and FUDermeyer are both sitting back celebrating the chaos they've caused, but OP was a total scapegoat who, for whatever reasons, allowed himself to be manipulated. But we're not in his shoes so we can only speculate.

But ultimately, I think that maybe, just maybe, the OP might truly be concerned of the overall safety of other S owners. Submission of parts to NHTSA is not in itself an attack against Tesla. Maybe it's about safety, maybe it's about money. The fact is that none but the OP really knows. For that reason, I, for one, am not bashing him. I still feel he's the victim of devious manipulation.

My 2 cents.

-- MM3

@JRP3 LoLwat
no ball joints usually are kaput at about 50k on modern vehicles
about the only time you can see more then that is if you do nothing but steady highway driving
as for the corriosion it simply looks like it wasn't greased regularly and I have seen far far worse ones

I sold a Lexus recently with 334K miles on it. It had the original everything on it except belts, battery, tires, and the usual stuff you're supposed to replace. It even had the original struts/shocks.

Just how are you supposed to lubricate a ball joint that doesn't have a grease fitting?????

Reactions: Texas
Hell I have had ball joints go bad at 20k
you expecting a major suspension part to last 140K
sorry bud thats now how it works

Tell that to my my Previous Lexus 334K miles and my current Prius with 224K miles.

I've driven over a million miles combined on 8 or so cars and have never had a ball joint fail or become lose. i do not believe that you've had JOINTS(plural) go bad at 20K miles.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
I sold a Lexus recently with 334K miles on it. It had the original everything on it except belts, battery, tires, and the usual stuff you're supposed to replace. It even had the original struts/shocks.

Just how are you supposed to lubricate a ball joint that doesn't have a grease fitting?????

How often do you go mushroom picking?

This is a problem. Tesla need to get the facts straight before issuing their response. It appears Mr. Cordaro does not "live" on a dirt road.

That's not all.

Tesla didn't even get the ad-hominem attack on Mr. Niedermeyer right. See his reply tweets here:

Exclusive: Automotive Blogger Attacked By Tesla Over Investigation Has 'More to Come' - Breitbart

There is apparently more to come:

“I would say I’m more disappointed than surprised by Tesla’s response,” Niedermeyer told Breitbart News. “It’s a pretty typical diversionary PR tactic that’s not going to work because there is a lot more to this story that will be coming out.”

Finally, his name is indeed NiedermEyer. Proofreading a critical response before posting shouldn't be so hard at a multi-billion $ company that is publicly traded.

Or are the people in charge of proofreading also doing the car QC at Tesla?

Last edited:

You don't. You replace the ball joint or, if it is welded in, the entire control arm. You were good to your vehicle. I assume your Lexus never saw rough conditions nor had the misfortune of that rubber boot getting damaged.

Club Lexus Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.