Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swinging charging pole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's an ingenious idea. We have a double garage door not two separate doors so no wall space between both garage sides where some people have been able to set up their shared wall connector. Right now only one EV but hoping to change that by the end of the year.

Instead of all those zip ties why not run the cord through the PVC pipe to the end? Makes it easier to remove if you need to take it with you as well.
Well the zip ties were only temporary and have now been replaced with Velcro straps (I did previously post some new pictures of this in this thread) which allow easy removal of the charger unit. As far as running the cable through the PVC support tube goes, it would have been a little messy since the car connector is too large to fit through the 1 & 1/4 inch pole. Yes I could have used an even larger diameter pole but the weight might be getting fairly heavy for the hinge and cables.

I have my wall connector cable hanging from the ceiling, hanging just in front of the garage door when it's open. I have a black metal garden hose hanger suspended from the ceiling right there. When not charging, the cable is wrapped on the garden hose hanger. I thought about trying a pulley system and tool balancer, but decided was too complicated and expensive for the parts. The garden hose hanger is cheap and easy to install on a wooden post hanging from the ceiling.

I suspect I’ll get trashed for this question, but why not just pull the cable behind your car on the ground and plug in? I just coil up the cable and put on a hook on the wall when done. From your pix, it looks like the cable is more than long enough to do so.

I’ve had this set-up since my first Model S in Sept 2013, and have never had any issues.

I suspect I’ll get trashed for this question, but why not just pull the cable behind your car on the ground and plug in? I just coil up the cable and put on a hook on the wall when done. From your pix, it looks like the cable is more than long enough to do so.

I’ve had this set-up since my first Model S in Sept 2013, and have never had any issues.
Well I certainly could do that and that is what I was doing for my Model S but I didn't like the cable/charger on my dirty concrete floor and I also didn't want to lay it across the back of the car. For me anyway, my current setup is much simpler and cleaner to use. Bottom line, it works well for me.

Clearly you must not be an engineer :p

Well the zip ties were only temporary and have now been replaced with Velcro straps (I did previously post some new pictures of this in this thread) which allow easy removal of the charger unit. As far as running the cable through the PVC support tube goes, it would have been a little messy since the car connector is too large to fit through the 1 & 1/4 inch pole. Yes I could have used an even larger diameter pole but the weight might be getting fairly heavy for the hinge and cables.

If you really wanted to run inside a pole, it would be a pain to fabricate but you could slice the pole lengthwise, pry it open with something and fit the cable inside, then apply pvc glue and clamp it back together (until the "glue" sets up) ... of course if you ever need to remove it, it's going to be a pain ... if not much heavier I'd suggest something like unistrut or some other C-channel instead since you could lay it in the channel that already exists.

Good find, I really like that boom since it can extend up to 7 feet and support up to 12 lbs! Unfortunately some of the other booms would not work have worked as well for me since they could not extend far enough for my purposes. My boom is about 8 & 1/2 feet long which is appropriate for my garage. Also my pvc pipe, homemade hinge, assorted clamps, screws, cables, etc. didn't cost me anywhere near $139 but maybe if I had seen this first......

I wished they would have put a stronger onboard charger in the Model 3.

Vehicle battery option On-board charger capacity (current/power)
Model 3 Standard battery 32 amp / 7.7 kW

Model 3 Long Range battery
Model S or Model X with 75 kWh battery 48 amp / 11.5 kW

Model S or Model X with 100 kWh battery 72 amp / 17.3 kW

I wished they would have put a stronger onboard charger in the Model 3.

Vehicle battery option On-board charger capacity (current/power)
Model 3 Standard battery 32 amp / 7.7 kW

Model 3 Long Range battery
Model S or Model X with 75 kWh battery 48 amp / 11.5 kW

Model S or Model X with 100 kWh battery 72 amp / 17.3 kW

Charging at 48 amp will get you 44 miles/hr so you can do a full 0% to 100% charge in 7 hours. How often do you need to charge faster than that and you are not going to a Supercharger? Making a stronger on-board charger just adds cost.

EDIT: fixed language in last paragraph.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anothergeek