Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC doesn't work correctly after the 2024.14.8 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't trust Autosteer and doesn't have FSD trial, so I set Autopilot to TACC in my 2024 Model 3 LR AWD. Since the 2024.14.8 firmware update I cannot engage TACC and the screen doesn't show lane lines, only cars. I have Autopilot set to TACC only and it worked fine with the factory 2024.8.100 firmware. I found that if I switch Autopilot to Autosteer, put the car in gear and then switch back to TACC, I can engage TACC normally, but I have to do this every time I start driving. I called Tesla service and was advised to request a service appointment, which I did. However, since I can work around the issue I think the hardware on my car is fine and it is a bug with the update. Does anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: primedive
You can leave it on autopilot (basic) and require two pulls to activate autopilot. In that case, a single pull will activate TACC as you want. That's how I've always been configured and I use TACC often.
I second this idea. I rarely try Autosteer, just for grins now and then. Setting to double click makes engaging TACC easy with a single click.

Reactions: gsmith123
Autosteer just freaks me out, while using TACC is natural for me. I know that I can have both enabled, but I'd rather have the car in TACC-only mode because I don't want to engage Autosteer by mistake.
Being gun shy is OK. But trying Autosteer just once in awhile will remove some of the sensitivity and help one become more familiar with the car. Just do it on a four lane (2 each side) with no cars around. You'll become proficient at engaging TACC by itself this way. At the very least, try this setting to see if it could solve the problem. If not, then follow through with the service appointment.

Reactions: GSP
You obviously do what you want. However, "I've tried it 4 years ago" might not be the best stance with frequent updates. Things can change, hopefully for the better, although sometimes for worse as you indicate now for TACC. It might be good to retry things once in a while to see if they got any better for you.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I did try Autosteer in my previous 2018 Model 3. I just don't like it and prefer it to be disabled. That option seems to be broken in the 2024.14.8 update and Tesla should fix it. Hopefully Tesla will fix this bug before the date my service appointment. It looks like I'm not the only one having this issue so that gives me hope.

FYI, similar post on TMC:

Last edited:
I have the EXACT same issue after the latest update. Shame on everyone for giving eladts for not liking autosteer. Tesla CLEARLY broke something. I’m in a rural area and seldom on a road where autosteer works. On the freeway, which is rare, it works fine, as did FSD when I tried it. But EVERYWHERE else it really sucks!

I was a hardware/firmware/developer who helped write a software engineering class for one of the biggest industrial businesses in the world. We developed mission critical products. I believe firmware for cars is one of the most mission critical developments there is. Unfortunately, it “appears” Telsa just hires a bunch of coders, not software engineers, as their stuff seems to have little quality control. I’ve driven several older cars with adaptive speed control, and ALL of them are FAR better than Teslas TACC. No phantom braking, which I see almost every day on my Tesla in my rural, high altitude environment. Maybe they forgot to test for that!

Anyway, speed control is the only thing I can use in my environment, and even it is the worst one I’ve experienced. I don’t care to be a beta tester for all the other crap that only works in cities…

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
OTA givith and OTA takith away. I delay taking updates for awhile always, as I rarely find the BAD ( this post) is worth the Good at thing point of the software development. Other than the FSD trial, which proved to me still not worth the $ to let me drive my car around because it acts like a drunk teen in FSD (both may do the wrong thing at the wrong time, and FSDb even tells you that to enable it), other than that test month, the features are pretty stable so now most changes seem like 'change for the sake of change' and not worth the risk they screwed something up (like this thread).

I really don't look forward to new Ota anymore. Even last year's Christmas update was a big nuthing burger.

Faster way: voice command "bug report..." add the issue you're having. Preferably immediately after the issue occurs.
Bug report does not get transmitted to the mothership. It stays resident on the car. It creates a snapshot that a tech can look at when the car is in service at a service center. That has been reported here on TMC. I don't know if that's really true.

Good news everyone! Yesterday I got an email from Tesla that my FSD trial started. I tested FSD and then set Autopilot back to TACC and lo and behold, it now works as expected. In TACC mode I get the same visualization as in Autosteer, auto-cancel turn signals work and TACC does engage when pressing the scroll wheel. I canceled my service appointment as the issue is resolved. Hopefully it won't come back when my FSD trial ends.

Good news everyone! Yesterday I got an email from Tesla that my FSD trial started. I tested FSD and then set Autopilot back to TACC and lo and behold, it now works as expected. In TACC mode I get the same visualization as in Autosteer, auto-cancel turn signals work and TACC does engage when pressing the scroll wheel. I canceled my service appointment as the issue is resolved. Hopefully it won't come back when my FSD trial ends.
Awesome!

Beware: when my FSD free trial ended, many settings went back to some default. Had to re-enable all kinds of random things like auto cancel turn signals, actually dis-able auto navigation (wth? car always gets that wrong), Joe mode and several other settings.

And I agree, auto steer is more trouble than it's worth. I'm also on TACC only and it's great.

(And don't tell me to try it more, I used it for thousands of open interstate miles, I'm very aware of its use and limitations. The risk of it steering me into the ditch every 1000 miles is not OK (I've been tracking it). It's about 1000 times more dangerous than me driving manually.)