Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone does realize that the NOMAD charger is also made in China right????

In fact.. this is probably the exact same product from the same factory.. just cheaper...
That's what I believe as well, I cannot imagine it would be anything else, I'd be willing to bet that it is the exact same components inside as well (not to the degree i'd be willing to buy one of each and check though!)

I would not recommend ordering from Taptes. I ordered my charger back on 9/22, so after 2 months of being promised multiple times that its about to ship, I have given up at this point of ever getting it and will be ordering from another company.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
I replied to the same thread on Model 3 Owners forum, so I'm just going to copy my reply here. I think I'm going to stick with Nomad.

Just noticed their FAQ section:

Wireless Phone Charger / Pad for Tesla Model 3 FAQ

1. Q: Can the Tesla Model 3 charger/pad be plugged into a 12V cigarette lighter adapter? If so, what is the power output (W)?

A: The wireless charger can be plugged into a 12 V cigarette lighter adapter make sure the lighter is output either in 5V or 9V, if 5V *2A, the max wireless charger output is 5W, if 9V*2A, max output is 10W, if it is dual 9V*2A, then will be max dual 10W output, also the output will depend on your phone.

Kindly make sure the wireless charger USB cable have enough length reach your adapter as Model 3 cigarette lighter is at another place, not the front USB position, the design USB length of the wireless charger is only 35CM.

2. Q: On your Model 3 wireless charger, can it be used with just one side setup to charge? I don't want to charge every time I'm in the car, so I'd like to set it up to not charge on the left and charge on the right. I'll just move the phone to the right if I ever need the charge.

A: To not charge on the left and charge on the right, please simply plug the right USB cable and do not plug the left USB cable.

3. Q: Regarding your wireless charger for the Model 3. I understand that with the latest software upgrade in the Model 3, the USB ports now output 10 watts of power. Does that mean that your base model $49 charger will fast charge an iPhone Xs, or do I still need to get the fast charging module?

A: Fast charging depends on the voltage. According to QC3.0, the charging protocol our wireless charger has applied, if the voltage is 9v, then fast charging can be achieved. In this case, if the voltage of the Model 3 USB port doesn't change, you may still need to get the fast charging module.

4. Q: will it be capable of fast charging a samsung galaxy s8? and if i got the normal charger, can i just add any qc3.0 battery to make it fast charging?

A: The wireless charger with the external powerbank will charge at 10W for each side so it can not fast charge samsung galaxy s8. To add qc3.0 battery to make the normal charger fast charging, please make sure the battery's output is more than 9 vottage.

5. Q: Is the fast charge battery for the Model 3 charging pad a passthrough powerbank or does it need to be regularly charged?

A: The fast charge battery for Model 3 charging pad needs to be charged regularly.

-----

This seems to be inferior to the Nomad, which can charge iPhones at 7.5W. The Standard TapTes can only charge iPhone at 5W from the front USB ports, since they only supply 5V. The Fast Charge TapTes relies on an external battery that has a Qualcomm QC port, which can supply 9V. However, the FAQ states that the battery is not a pass-through design. This means you cannot use the battery while it's being charged, which means you must manually charge it periodically.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
I would not recommend ordering from Taptes. I ordered my charger back on 9/22, so after 2 months of being promised multiple times that its about to ship, I have given up at this point of ever getting it and will be ordering from another company.

When I purchased mine - checkout indicated that it was pre-order and that shipping would start mid-november ish. I got an email last week about immediate shipping for V1 or end of november for V2.

Was it the same condition for you?

Reactions: McFlurri
Got an email from TapTes, see text below. I elected to go with the matte anti-slip rather than the limited edition extreme-sticky (TM) anti-slip. If you watch the video, they can go near-vertical and the phone is still holding LOL.

Maybe if I needed to wirelessly charge my phone while in Track Mode, which my 3LR sadly does not have...

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your patience, Tina again.

We have developed a more anti-slip version, but a few things we would like you to know:

1. By applying a more anti-slip material on its surface, the improved anti-slip charger has a shiny appearance, as shown in the attached picture "1";

2. The more anti-slip charger will catch fingerprints and dust easily, which may make your charger looks dirty as shown in the attached picture"2";

We had a vote inside our team, almost all members wanted the matte charger which looks more elegant and will not catch fingerprints and dust. According to the feedback of Model 3 owners who have received the matte charger, its anti-slip performance is OK since most phones are using with phone cases and your phone will not move unless you turn left/right aggressively and at the same time press the accelerator very hard.

You may check the matte charger through this video:

You may check this video of the more anti-slip charger: Dropbox - TapTes Wireless Phone Charger for Tesla Model 3 Anti-Slip.mp4

We would recommend the matte charger, but the final choice is on you. We will start to assemble and ship after have your decision.

Looking forward to your reply.

If you have any question on these two versions, please feel free to contact me. :)

Best Regards,
Tina