Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I hate to piss in your cornflakes but everytime I see people wasting time talking about wireless chargers i ask my self, aren’t the chargers plugged in?
Think of it this way:
Even if your electricity is created by combustion that creates emissions, your Tesla is still a zero emission vehicle.

Same as...

Even if your "wireless charger" is plugged into power, your phone is still charged from that device wirelessly.

And just in case you haven't answered that question that you keep asking yourself... the answers is indeed yes. Followed quickly by... so what? It still charges the phone wirelessly.

Funny, I was hesitant to purchase a Tesla because it was made in America. My first car was a Ford almost 3 decades ago, and have gone import since. When I'm plucking down that much money, I want quality and piece of mind without the headaches. Keeping my fingers crossed on the 3, have only had it for a few months.
i've always owned american or german cars. had better luck with my american ones than with the german ones.

I've been following the various solutions that have been popping up - from Jeda to Nomad to Taptes. I didn't like the look of the Jeda so I only bought the Nomad and Taptes.

A lot of misinformation has been posted, with people claiming that the two must've been made in the same factory. Clearly, they've never tried both products!

Firstly, the Nomad:
View attachment 366788
It has a more rubbery feel, is thicker and certainly has a bit more weight to it. Once installed, it sits flush where it's supposed to be. The downside is that due to the thickness, taller phones (such as my Pixel 3 XL with a slim case) prevent the compartment from closing. An iPhone X caused no so such problems. This was shipped from LA.

Now, the Taptes:
View attachment 366787
It has a more plastic feel and is slimmer and lighter. Its dimensions were also not as exact as the Nomad, which causes it to shake and rattle around. It did come with some adhesive pads but this seems like a Band-Aid solution. The upside is that even with my large phone, I could still close the compartment. This was shipped from China.

I will probably keep the Nomad over the Taptes since it seems to be higher quality overall. And after spending $50,000 - $80,000 on the car itself, the $80 difference seems quite negligible.

Is there a difference in the Nomad vs TapTes for the charging status led when the Pixel 3 is being charged? I have the Nomad and any phone (other than Pixel 3) that goes on gets an orange indicator status (as it should) but when my Pixel is on, it has a white indicator status (regardless of battery level on the phone) but phone still indicates 'slow charging'.

Unfortunately, the driver-side wireless pad stopped working. When I plug it in, the LED glows orange and stays lit with or without a phone in place. If I place a phone on the pad, the LED remains lit orange and the phone never starts charging.

Passenger side is still working fine.

I've contacted their support. We'll see what they say or do for me.

Unfortunately, the driver-side wireless pad stopped working. When I plug it in, the LED glows orange and stays lit with or without a phone in place. If I place a phone on the pad, the LED remains lit orange and the phone never starts charging.

Passenger side is still working fine.

I've contacted their support. We'll see what they say or do for me.

Seems like the Jeda and Nomad charge pads are experiencing this same issue caused by a recent Tesla software update that must have changed the front USB port outputs. Some people mentioned on the Jeda thread that using a USB splitter solved the problem. I route my power through the cigarette lighter to a USB hub so I have not experienced this issue.

Seems like the Jeda and Nomad charge pads are experiencing this same issue caused by a recent Tesla software update that must have changed the front USB port outputs. Some people mentioned on the Jeda thread that using a USB splitter solved the problem. I route my power through the cigarette lighter to a USB hub so I have not experienced this issue.

Interesting, here's my use case:
  • The driver-side pad experiencing the issue is plugged directly into the driver-side USB port, no splitter, no hub.
  • The passenger-side pad has no issues and is plugged into a 4-port USB 3.0 hub, which is plugged into the passenger-side USB port.
  • There is also a USB thumb drive plugged into the hub (on the passenger side), which is serving as TeslaCam storage with no issues.
Does this align with the other issues stemming from the recent update?

• The driver-side pad experiencing the issue is plugged directly into the driver-side USB port, no splitter, no hub.
  • The passenger-side pad has no issues and is plugged into a 4-port USB 3.0 hub, which is plugged into the passenger-side USB port.
  • There is also a USB thumb drive plugged into the hub (on the passenger side), which is serving as TeslaCam storage with no issues.

Plug the passenger cord into hub and usb drive into the right side port.

Yes. 2019.8.3 causes the left pad to cycle on and off when charging. Same configuration.

I bought a testap wireless charger on black Friday and install it yesterday. It works great except that when my phone locks it stops charging. I have an iPhone 11...does anyone know if there's a setting I'm missing? It seems weird to have to turn my lock screen off every time I want to charge...im betting this is user error lol

I bought a testap wireless charger on black Friday and install it yesterday. It works great except that when my phone locks it stops charging. I have an iPhone 11...does anyone know if there's a setting I'm missing? It seems weird to have to turn my lock screen off every time I want to charge...im betting this is user error lol
I just ordered one of these for an iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Max that should arrive in the next couple of days. Please let me know if you figure this out. Thanks!

Reactions: goletaspring
Yes. 2019.8.3 causes the left pad to cycle on and off when charging. Same configuration.

This is because the charger is trying to do a sync and failing. You need to disable that feature and make usb "power only". A privacy device that prevents USB syncing does this, and will resolve the cycling issues if you are having them. Plus, good to have if you want to use a USB port anywhere in a public place to charge. (They sell 2 packs)

https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-Blo...DPB9GG5624W&psc=1&refRID=3FBB006TQDPB9GG5624W