Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last day of the 2023.... and still no form - calling - calling - calling .
Calling isn't going to make any difference - they won't and shouldn't answer anyway - on demand customer phone service has been a thing of the past in most industries for quite a while. Though it's reassuring to have the form, it's not what's important. All that really matters is that Tesla reports your purchase, with required info, by Jan 15, 2024. And no, you won't have any record of that, you'll have to trust them. If you don't, imagine the furor if Tesla costs buyers a tax credit up to $7500 they were eligible for - I can't imagine they would. And if somehow they did, I suspect you'll have recourse with your purchase agreement - especially since eligibility/rules changed with the IRA.

Last edited:
Why do I need to ? the paperwork should be ready for the tax payer to prepare our tax.

It's pretty common to not get tax forms and statements until mid to late January. Be glad you're not dealing with Merrill Lynch. It's usually late February before I get all my tax documents from them. And, when I do get them, they come with a disclaimer that they may change. When are W-2's due from employers?

Reactions: fsb1
Why do I need to ? the paperwork should be ready for the tax payer to prepare our tax.
You don’t need the form to prepare your taxes and cannot file them yet anyway.

You can literally do nothing with this form as of today except look at it and admire your handiwork.

So once again… put down the phone. Wasting a lovely New Year’s Eve attempting to be a nuisance to people who can do absolutely nothing to help you is not a good use of anyone’s time.

i took delivery back in feb and don't recall providing my SS#. anyone in the same boat and have gotten their form?
how should we expect tesla to get our SS# at this stage?
I reached out today and got this response:

Hi Danny,

We are working on getting the forms together for all customers who took delivery in early 2023 and were not asked to provide their SSN. We should have some updates for you within the next week or so. Thank you for your patience!

Best Regards,
Nick Andrews
Operations Advisor
Marina Del Rey, CA

Reactions: dohmahmigh
When will Tesla begin the point of sale credit?
It is going to be tough for them to participate and not confuse/anger a lot of buyers. The point of sale rebate is for licensed dealers and not manufacturers. A dealer license is required to sign up for the POS program and Tesla does not have dealer licenses in every state. The Tesla website would need to be updated to show which states they will offer the POS if they choose to do so.

It is going to be tough for them to participate and not confuse/anger a lot of buyers. The point of sale rebate is for licensed dealers and not manufacturers. A dealer license is required to sign up for the POS program and Tesla does not have dealer licenses in every state. The Tesla website would need to be updated to show which states they will offer the POS if they choose to do so.
I believed that interpretation is incorrect, they don't need a dealer license in every state. Anywhere Tesla sells vehicles, they can register for the advanced credit.

Code Sec. 30D (New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Moter Vehicles)
(8) Dealer. For purposes of this subsection, the term "dealer" means a person licensed by a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, any other territory or possession of the United States, an Indian tribal government, or any Alaska Native Corporation (as defined in section 3 of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1602(m)) to engage in the sale of vehicles.

(9) Indian tribal government. For purposes of this subsection, the term "Indian tribal government" means the recognized governing body of any Indian or Alaska Native tribe, band, nation, pueblo, village, community, component band, or component reservation, individually identified (including parenthetically) in the list published most recently as of the date of enactment of this subsection pursuant to section 104 of the Federally Recognized Indian Tribe List Act of 1994 (25 U.S.C. 5131).

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
that is actually 100% wrong. go look up the IRs guidance, they excplitely call out Manufacturers who sell direct like Tesla, Lucid and Rivian.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I reached out today and got this response:

Hi Danny,

We are working on getting the forms together for all customers who took delivery in early 2023 and were not asked to provide their SSN. We should have some updates for you within the next week or so. Thank you for your patience!

Best Regards,
Nick Andrews
Operations Advisor
Marina Del Rey, CA
Thanks.

At least I know that I am not imagining things. I am in the same boat from February 2023. Please keep us updated if you hear anything more.