Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teach me how to charge!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my M3 for a week (delivered to my house when I was away so I never got a dealer run through) and all the videos just show plugging it in. That didn’t work. I called and they sent a service guy out who said my cable was broken and switched it out. Then he said I have to squeeze the button on the handle for a few seconds then plug it in while holding the button down for a few more seconds after plugging it in. Then let go, wait for the T to turn blue. What is the minimum you need to do to charge? Why don’t they explain this on tutorial videos from Tesla?

There's really nothing to explain. The button on the handle lets you open the charging flap. That's all it does. Once you have access you insert the plug and you're done. The T turning blue lets you know you succeeded. So do the relay sounds you may hear from the car. There are other ways to open that flap, but that's extra information. You can set a charging time from the screen, and that's the only other normal thing that would keep it from charging. Your broken cord wasn't normal.

I just hit the button on the handle, flap opens, I insert handle. I don’t hold the button or anything, just one quick press.

After a few seconds you will hear a click locking the handle in place, then a thunk from the wall charger that starts the power flow.

also, after you plug in, check the screen, it should ramp up to full charging power in 30 seconds or so. If it doesn’t, try pressing the “start charging” button on the screen or in the app

Reactions: Telemark
I’ve had my M3 for a week (delivered to my house when I was away so I never got a dealer run through) and all the videos just show plugging it in. That didn’t work. I called and they sent a service guy out who said my cable was broken and switched it out. Then he said I have to squeeze the button on the handle for a few seconds then plug it in while holding the button down for a few more seconds after plugging it in. Then let go, wait for the T to turn blue. What is the minimum you need to do to charge? Why don’t they explain this on tutorial videos from Tesla?

Not sure why he was saying all that but he is wrong. Open the charge door and shove the cable in is all I do and it works fine. Sounds like there is a problem with your car or your charger.

you can set charging limit from the screen or the app on your phone. Set it to charge ~85% daily if you want, or every few days. (Only charge up to 100% if you are off on a trip.) If you have a ToU electric plan, set the clock to start when your cheap rates start or finish when your cheap rates stop.

Congrats on the purchase.

Reactions: Telemark
There's really nothing to explain. The button on the handle lets you open the charging flap. That's all it does. Once you have access you insert the plug and you're done. The T turning blue lets you know you succeeded. So do the relay sounds you may hear from the car. There are other ways to open that flap, but that's extra information. You can set a charging time from the screen, and that's the only other normal thing that would keep it from charging. Your broken cord wasn't normal.
Thanks. I did that with the first cord and got error message inside stating equipment failure. I’m mad this service guy gave me bum advice. I guess it’s a new dealership and employees.

I got the equipment failure message, too, when i tried to plug into 110 volts with my new model 3 tonight.

Was it your cable? Maybe there is a had batch and it's my cable that's the problem.

I got the equipment failure message, too, when i tried to plug into 110 volts with my new model 3 tonight.

Was it your cable? Maybe there is a had batch and it's my cable that's the problem.

I haven't tried to use my 110V adapter yet. Been using the 14-50 adapter since I got the car. Guess I better make sure the 110V works before relying on it some time in the future.

Thanks. I did that with the first cord and got error message inside stating equipment failure. I’m mad this service guy gave me bum advice. I guess it’s a new dealership and employees.

It sounds to me like the advice he gave was to do some unnecessary things -- mainly to keep the button pressed for longer than is necessary. People sometimes develop such habits (not just in charging) and stick with them because they never learn that they're unnecessary. Lots of superstitions are like that; it's Psychology 101.

One more comment/clarification: The Tesla logo will turn blue to indicate that the EVSE is communicating with the car to negotiate a charge rate. It then turns green and blinks to indicate that charging is underway. The green blinking eventually goes away (in 1-5 minutes, I'd guess, but I've never timed it). The logo turns red if there's a problem. Thus, if you want to be sure the charge starts without problems, you should wait until it turns blinking green; or you can check the charge status on the dashboard screen or with your app.

You can learn more details in the owner's manual. Overall, it's pretty simple; but there are details that can be helpful to know in some circumstances, such as how to open the charging port cover if the button on the EVSE doesn't work. (Use the car's touch screen or tap the cover when the car is unlocked.)

'If you have a ToU electric plan, set the clock to start when your cheap rates start or finish when your cheap rates stop.'

As a new Model 3 owner but long-time Roadster and Volt owner, I am wondering: Is good old simple charging start time (without departure target time/preconditioning) not an option? I want to set charging to begin at midnight but my departure times are highly variable and I do not want any climate preconditioning to kick in. I don't see a way to turn off the departure time function and leave the start charge time scheduled (I'm on 2019.40 software) - seems like all or nothing. Are the two functions inextricably coupled? If so, is it possible to at least deactivate the preconditioning part of the departure time function? Thx to you pros for any help/clarification - I'm sure I missed a subtlety or trick in the new Model 3 software charging interface.

As a new Model 3 owner but long-time Roadster and Volt owner, I am wondering: Is good old simple charging start time (without departure target time/preconditioning) not an option? I want to set charging to begin at midnight but my departure times are highly variable and I do not want any climate preconditioning to kick in. I don't see a way to turn off the departure time function and leave the start charge time scheduled (I'm on 2019.40 software) - seems like all or nothing. Are the two functions inextricably coupled? If so, is it possible to at least deactivate the preconditioning part of the departure time function? Thx to you pros for any help/clarification - I'm sure I missed a subtlety or trick in the new Model 3 software charging interface.

I believe there is a "start charging at" button in the "scheduled departure screen" in the car.

Yes but there is also a seemingly coupled and required DEPARTURE TIME button as well in the recent software. That stops charging and activates climate preconditioning at a prescribed time. I want to START charging at a prescribed time but not have it stop until it meets the charge I set, and most importantly I do not want climate preconditioning to activate. Thx for any help on this 'decoupling' of the START and DEPARTURE functions.

Aha!- I think I found the answer to my question: The Start Charging and Scheduled Departure functions ARE decoupled, i.e., totally separate - though the interface (at least to me) makes them look coupled. It's actually an either/or situation. You can simply start charging at a certain set time of day (as in my Roadster and Volt) OR have the charge start time more tailored to your scheduled departure time. The latter starts charging at a time which will end charging by Tesla's chosen 600AM default time, but is also mandatorily coupled with climate preconditioning shortly before your programmed scheduled departure time. Glad I can still use good ol' Start Charging time.