Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TEPCO/CHAdeMO Level III "quick" charging station/connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The really really short version is that drawing off only a single phase when 3 phases are available limits the max power you can get. So if you don't support 3 phase charging you are likely charging slower than you could otherwise.

There are also issues with causing unbalanced loads which could be unfriendly to equipment (such as transformers) back up the line. When 3 phase is available it would be best to use all 3 but it isn't done routinely due to issues with cost, connection standards (or lack thereof) and complexity.

You can see why some people get a bit heated about it. It is a bit of a 'shame' when 3 phase is available but you can't take full advantage of it.

It's more than that.

Places with 3 phase often have the power for an HPC available but split across the three phases.

In some countries, the utilities or authorities won't let you pull high power on a single phase - even 32A.

Yeah, if the Model S does not support 3-phase I'm going to be limited to 16A 230V charging at home. Maybe I'll be able to up it to 20A if I take care to not put it across the same phases as the oven, but certainly no more.

Some photos of the Vacaville install ...
attachment.php?attachmentid=624&d=1268891830.jpg

Perhaps a bit of stigma associated with that Logo now...

This standards issue for L3 charging should be given some wider publicity. Most of the press reporting about EVs coming to the market seem to be completely unaware of fast charge option in the first place.

The situation seems to be :
1) Chademo/JARI is widely deployed in Japan, The EV Project Home ECOtality is planning deployments in US
2) SAE hasnt yet published their J1772 Level 3 DC "extension" specs, and obviously nobody has implemented it
3) Europe has a separate fight between France and Germany around the Mennekes charger evolution ?

The EV & green transportation press seems to be completely quiet on the new "BetaMax vs VHS" though.
A good example, in Top Gear Fights Back At Tesla - Slashdot nobody even mentioned the fast charge possibility. Obviously, Roadster in the test could not have been fast charged anyway. But if it were, the 55 miles reported range in track tests would be a complete nonissue.

You have to wonder what kind of resources TEPCO has left to push CHAdeMO now. It probably hasn't even popped into their heads at all over the past month... The LEAF charging in the photo sure is happy I bet as you almost need CHAdeMO to drive it if you are considering anything more than just a drive around town. I'm really hooked on the Roadster's range, it's so nice to be able to go 200+ miles and never have to worry about charging. The only thing that could get me in a LEAF or car with similar range now would be CHAdeMO charge points all over the place, and certainly Japan had been looking good in that respect as we can see from this map --->

CHAdeMO Part1 - Google Maps

It does not look like the Cable would reach to the rear recepticle where depicted on the model S on the left rear quadrant! Do we have to carry a Level III extension cord?

At this point, it seems unclear where exactly Model S will have the charge port.
Also, unclear if it would support CHAdeMO charging.

How exactly you will be able to recharge Model S seems one of the remaining questions, possibly still being debated by Tesla themselves.