Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TEPCO/CHAdeMO Level III "quick" charging station/connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There still isn't a single announcement form any Detroit based company to use any fast-charging at all, creating this paralyzing gap of absence regarding any infrastructure implementation, everyone secretly thinking "maybe that's exactly what they want"... I hope Tesla found a good way for the Model S to deal with the situation.

Yeah, the way to deal with this is simply to offer a CHAdeMO port. No CHAdeMO = deal breaker for me, I'll rather keep our Leaf. We'll have 31 fast chargers operational over here (Norway) at year-end, next year probably more than twice that. With a 300-mile Model S I could travel all around the country, using only the CHAdeMO chargers (and 16A charging at night). The only other option is 230V 16A sockets which take forever (3.6kW*85% into an empty 90kWh battery equals 30 hours worst case).

I believe the best solution is to offer different charging connectors as options. Make the charging door big enough to fit two connectors (like inside the nose cone) and let people choose themselves what they want. Personally I would order Mennekes+CHAdeMO while US residents might order J1772+CHAdeMO, just J1772, or the combo SAE socket when it's finished.

Mobile 20kW CHAdeMO

MFC_Small3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the onboard charger is my Roaster is rated around 15kW = value of $19.000. Models S will have at least 20kW = $20.000. If you subtract to value of the battery pack of $30.000 , you will get the body almost for free?

The battery around $30k is probably only for the 300 mile version. That would leave almost $30k for the body by that calculation. But I agree it is too expensive, especially given that Nissan is about to bring a $10K 50 kW charger on the market (though larger and not as portable).

cool case modding... PC blower fans all over it. I count six, they all need speed monitor? And are the case openings prone to water ingress?
The three black coils appear to be a 3 phase transformer set. Which voltage levels does it transform?