Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TEPCO/CHAdeMO Level III "quick" charging station/connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I meant to say for the Model S. I've assumed that no major changes will be done to the Roadster. I'd love it if they'd simply officially support a J1772 upgrade on the Roadster (Tom is already working on this so looking forward to his solution since I don't think Tesla will do it).

Don't be so quick to assume. I was told, at the Model S event, that there is a high possibility of them coming out with a retrofit for roadsters. (at least that was the rumor going round) I'd guess that it would just be a connector upgrade only. BUT if they incorporated full functionality with it, that would be sweet.

FYI the figures are just estimates based on the heft of cables and connectors that would be needed. Also based on the cost of a new PEM. These numbers are rough at best. (Edited to reflect such.)

Last edited:
I was told, at the Model S event, that there is a high possibility of them coming out with a retrofit for roadsters.
I really don't think this will happen because the current Roadster is so different from the Model S and derivatives. Ask yourself why they would spend precious money and resources on a tiny part of their customer base... it makes no sense.

They were talking about offering an upgrade for Roadster owners' HPCs to handle the Model S. One possibility is that they'll offer to retrofit Roadsters to the new proprietary Tesla connector. That might actually be easier for them to implement, rather than trying to retrofit a third party J1772 connector into the car. That would cover off J1772 because the Model S is supposed to come with a J1772 adapter.

If the J1772 to new Tesla plug adapter is compact like they promised, this would be a great upgrade. The J1772 to old Tesla plug adapter is bulky and annoying and Roadster trunk space is precious. Although it is disappointing after spending money on the first adapter.

Not even close. Electronics is probably $100 in quantity. The most expensive part may be the CHAdeMO inlet & the wiring. Nissan was charging $700 for the QC option.

I was talking total cost for an upgrade to the roadster. The control conversion circuitry being the most expensive part. Especially since it would need to be supplied by Tesla. The battery control circuitry is proprietary in nature. Yes, we understand it.

Do we need an interface to the CHAdeMO protocol? Yes, as the CAN bus is uses proprietary signaling.

Do I think it would void any and all battery and power train warranties if made by us without support? Yes, it would as you'd be mucking around with an interface in which we don't have official support. (If we had support it'd be a different story.)

The weight comes into play when Tesla would want us to put in a new PEM with more control circuitry. Also, don't forget that the wire needed to carry high current at high voltage isn't exactly light either.

Personally I love the idea of being able to rapid charge when I am out, but I'd rather have official support than void warranties.

What would you need a J1772 adapter for in Europe ? A Tesla-Mennekes cable is what's needed, in addition to the UMC.
What about the millions of J1772 charging stations that are going to be installed in UK homes? A non-shuttered connector like "mennekes" cannot be used in the domestic environment so we need a different solution there.

Tesla's proprietary connector is going to cost them big time in Europe....

What about the millions of J1772 charging stations that are going to be installed in UK homes? A non-shuttered connector like "mennekes" cannot be used in the domestic environment so we need a different solution there.

Tesla's proprietary connector is going to cost them big time in Europe....

If I sell my Leaf I sort of expect to sell the charging station with it, especially if I can't use it with the next car.
Why can't there be a shutter/lid on a Mennekes outlet ? And why would you get one at home for a Tesla ? If I get a Model S I'll order their charging station to go with the car (the HPC one).

Why can't there be a shutter/lid on a Mennekes outlet ?
In EE a 'lid' and a 'shutter' are different.... what's important here is that shuttered sockets are a legal requirement in many parts of Europe;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1363#Shutters

And why would you get one at home for a Tesla ?
3 Phase support maybe... or other cars in the family...

If I get a Model S I'll order their charging station to go with the car (the HPC one).
sure you can always go the proprietary route as we have all done with the Roadster... the issue is compatibility with other EV's and what you do when away from home - what if your friends house only has a J1772 connector?

New AV CHAdeMO at Nissan Tennessee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAe4bfJb8gI&hd=1&t=1m30s
Now with a red stop button!:
redstop.jpg