Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TEPCO/CHAdeMO Level III "quick" charging station/connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say that shows

1) Lots of wasted space
2) That there's nothing like 10 grand's worth of electronics in there
3) Better electronics design could reduce the component size and count a lot further. Like perhaps high frequency upconversion for a smaller, lighter transformer.

Fair Ground Chevron - Central Point, OR - Recargo
Fair Ground Chevron
1510 E Pine St
Central Point, OR 97502
USA
321998_10150377574293020_138510433019_8476877_1567302444_o.jpg

Last edited:
If Tesla could piggyback onto the Leaf's charge network, that would be a good thing. If it's technically possible, I hope it is something they do. I will take them years to build out their supercharger network to this level.

The problem with this is that the CHAdeMO needs dedicated CAN bus signaling. Whilst not impossible with current technology, would you REALLY want to give up the space in your roadster?? Especially since it would require a new PEM. Then on top of that a dedicated charging interface converting the CAN bus messages into the CHAdeMO protocol. (Potentially $10k+ (7641.17+ euros) upgrade and probably 50lbs of extra weight. (22kgs) (rough calculation at best))

I'd support it IF it was more wide spread here. (Thusly cost goes down.) Now a connector upgrade to use the new UMC/HPC along with the circuitry for the upgrade, is a different story. IF Tesla could retrofit the roadster with the new connector, all that would be missing is software and a CHAdeMO > Tesla adaptor which would be easy enough.

Last edited:
The problem with this is that the CHAdeMO needs dedicated CAN bus signaling. Whilst not impossible with current technology, would you REALLY want to give up the space in your roadster?? Especially since it would require a new PEM. Then on top of that a dedicated charging interface converting the CAN bus messages into the CHAdeMO protocol. (Potentially $10k+ (7641.17+ euros) upgrade and probably 50lbs of extra weight. (22kgs))

I'd support it IF it was more wide spread here. (Thusly cost goes down.) Now a connector upgrade to use the new UMC/HPC along with the circuitry for the upgrade, is a different story. IF Tesla could retrofit the roadster with the new connector, all that would be missing is software and a CHAdeMO > Tesla adaptor which would be easy enough.

I meant to say for the Model S. I've assumed that no major changes will be done to the Roadster. I'd love it if they'd simply officially support a J1772 upgrade on the Roadster (Tom is already working on this so looking forward to his solution since I don't think Tesla will do it).

Then on top of that a dedicated charging interface converting the CAN bus messages into the CHAdeMO protocol. (Potentially $10k+ (7641.17+ euros) upgrade and probably 50lbs of extra weight. (22kgs))

I'd support it IF it was more wide spread here.
How on earth did you come up with those weight and cost numbers?

It is supposed to be very common by the end of the year.

Anyway, the quip was more about getting into upcoming cars.