Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terribly patchy headlights on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y headlights are phenomenal
Is that on high beams? I read that the dead spots with the matrix headlight are only there on low beams and not on high beams.
I also have a model 3, with non matrix headlights and they are better, brighter with more even distribution of light.
One of my photos is on a slope, but the square dark spots are very obvious on level ground as well.
I never use auto high beam, it is not fit for purpose.

From what I have read this feature will be coming in version 4 cars as that has the required computing power.

I doubt it's that. The existing AMD Ryzen cpu already has more computational power than 99% of the cars on the road.

I think it's more along the lines that the US NHTSA has been dragging its feet on test certification of adaptive control function of matrix headlights.

The Ryzen is just the CPU for the display.

I'd expect its the even more powerful HW3/ HW4 computer that will control the matrix headlights - they are already processing the video images and controlling high beam.

Would just be a matter of altering the high beam code to also turn off parts of the main beam.

The existing AMD Ryzen cpu already has more computational power than 99% of the cars on the road.
For some reason lot of people seem to think the Ryzen is the CPU in the FSD computer
the Ryzen is just the tablet CPU

The HW3 CPU is a Samsung designed by Tesla 14nm all in one dual CPU.
I believe the HW(x) operates the vehicle controls, not the Ryzen in the screen.

This is my Model Y LR headlight throw (non highbeam)

F6856653-457F-4D27-882E-8BC4D1826760.jpeg

Reactions: Skavatar
Both sides should be the same level
Actually its great as is because the right side is exactly where it should be at low beam for oncoming traffic. The middle one is a little higher but does not bother the traffic in front of the vehicle travelling in same direction. The highest part on the left side is also good because it illuminates the kerb area.

the right side is exactly where it should be at low beam for oncoming traffic. The middle one is a little higher but does not bother the traffic in front of the vehicle travelling in same direction
But that’s not what it will look like from a distance. Try again, but shine 50-100m up the road. What the oncoming traffic will see is a very bright blinding left light and a correctly no so blinding right light.

What the oncoming traffic will see is a very bright blinding left light and a correctly no so blinding right light.
No they don't.

To be clear I'll split the lights into left edge, left middle, right middle and right edge as seen by me sitting in the car in the photo. The one that shines the highest is left middle. The second highest is right middle.

The right middle and left middle lights do not shine onto oncoming traffic at all. Only the right edge faces oncoming traffic and definitely does not either