Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s FSD Beta 10.3 Coming This Friday 10-22-2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will always be a "safer" version ahead. When will you know it us safe enough?
Of course, it's all relative and based on personal preference. However, since I don't have anything approaching perfect information on which to base a deeply informed decision, I will -- with open eyes -- accept Tesla's invitation to join the beta with version 10.3 given my safety score of 99.

Reactions: T-Racer and Krock65
ut, there will be a point where improvements will start to actually diminish safety as the average driver starts to subconsciously trust it.
We'll need to remain vigilant and avoid overconfidence in the reliability of FSD while it seems to perform really well, but in fact still has lots of issues than can surprise us at the worst possible moments while we're inattentive if we trust it too much. I'm happy that Tesla is now using the internal camera to help mitigate this very real risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-Racer
so take your bets
Do you think tonight, aka Sunday Morning?
Or tmrw night aka Monday Morning?
When they released 10.2 to the 100’s Elon said at 1am 10/9 that they were postponing it because of last minute concerns and it would be released “Sunday or Monday” and they released it at 12 midnight Sunday and Elon tweeted so at 1:00 am Monday. So my educated guess is between midnight Sunday and 1am Monday (California time)

so take your bets
Do you think tonight, aka Sunday Morning?
Or tmrw night aka Monday Morning?

Beta has been out for a YEAR. They are not going to solve even most, much less all for a WHILE.

We should also remember that lots of what was presented on AI Day is aspirational. It was a recruiting event to attract people to work on the problem. Dojo is not online yet. Machine labeling is not happening yet. Do not expect v11 to be miraculously better. If v11 is just a designation for single stack, we may see regressions on highway AP behavior (but hopefully improvements to parking lots and summon). Run of the mill FSD driving may feel very similar to 10.2 or 10.3. IMO it will be a few years before FSD becomes a reliable L2 system where we have to worry about driver complacency.

I don't think it's magical thinking to believe that the car's NN can be optimized.

If they were "done" and just didn't quite fit into a single HW3 node that'd be reasonable to think they could fix that with some code optimization.

But they're using most of both nodes now, and quite obviously are nowhere near done. The NNs keep getting larger and more complex to add more capability and competence (and to replace what was previously just simple static C code)

The idea they'll somehow add everything they need for L4 in the space they have left and then somehow shrink it in at least half, seems pretty magical at this point.

I agree with most of what you are saying, especially the part about how we really don't know what it will take to get to L4. All we know is that Telsa appears to be on a path of continuous improvement until they either hit L4 or another local maximum. And we don't know which will happen.

Absolutely.... certainly it's possible that after going down this path for a while they find they have to do another deep rewrite and we're kind of back to square one on knowing what's up with compute needs.

But if they don't and just keep improving the path they're on I don't see how they both get to L4, and get it all to fix back into one HW3 node.

(then again I also don't see how they ever get past L2 or L3 without a least 2 more cameras either)

• Love
The problem with this is FSD buyers were promised L5 autonomous driving way back in late 2016 when it was released.

They were promised L4, FWIW, not 5.

The description said the car could drive in "almost all" situations, not all of em,

The other issue is they promised something they ultimately don't have any control over. It's not up to them to decide when their cars are ready for autonomous operation, but the regulatory bodies in the region the owner is in.

This incorrect on two fronts.

For one, it's already legal in a bunch of US states.

There's no "regulation" to wait on- if it worked today they could release it today.

For elsewhere, the sales process explicitly told the buyers they'd be stuck waiting on regulatory approval, so they promised exactly what you'd get and specifically pointed that fact out.

At some point Tesla will be forced to acknowledge that HW3 (and maybe HW4 as well) don't meet the requirements set forth for autonomous driving, and they will always be L2 systems.

... if it worked with HW4, but not 3, then they'd just swap in HW4.

It's my belief that Tesla always intended on using the regulatory get out of jail free card. How can they design something for regulations not even written at the time they released the HW?

Again this does not make sense.

It's legal right now in some places.

They can't claim their software delivers L4 but the regulators are stopping them- because the regulators already legalized it in those places.

There's no "card" to pull here, it's literally not a valid way to get out of anything. At all.

They don't need to pull the card as long as the upgrades are straight forwards (MCU Computer, AP Computer, Cameras, etc).

HW3 will go out with a whimper and it won't be a massive fleetwide upgrade or owners getting refunded. Maybe just a few sprinkles of lawsuits where only the lawyers win.

So... they'll upgrade the computers.... but.... there won't be an upgrade of computers?

You're having as much trouble picking a lane as FSDBeta!