Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla’s Full Self-Driving Software Deployed to ‘Careful Drivers’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving beta rolled out Tuesday night, according to a tweet form Chief Executive Elon Musk.

The new software is a substantial re-write of the automakers self-driving technology. Musk has been testing the update, calling the improvements “profound.” 

“I think we’ll hopefully release a private beta of Autopilot, of the full self-driving version of Autopilot in, I think, a month or so, and then people will really understand just the magnitude of the change,” Musk said at Tesla’s recent Battery Day event. “It’s profound…you’ll see it. It’s just like a hell of a step change.”

Musk teased the Oct. 20 rollout earlier in the month, saying FSD would be released to a limited number of people identified as “expert and careful drivers.”

He reiterated that caution Tuesday, highlighting that the FSD beta is being released in an “extremely slow and cautious” manner.

FSD has been a long wait for many who purchased the pricey option. Tesla hoped to release a feature-complete version of FSD update by the end of last year, but didn’t achieve that goal. It seems the company is finally taking that next step toward the fully autonomous car it promised.

Did you receive the update?

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys demanding youtube subs to release videos are not doing the community any favors. Everyone is so hungry for any kind of video right now. And not 10min videos with old material and some new comments, just 5minutes of iphone video posted onto youtube would have been enough to get those thousands of subs without having annoy the fanbase...

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving beta rolled out Tuesday night, according to a tweet form Chief Executive Elon Musk. The new software is a substantial re-write of the automakers self-driving technology. Musk has been testing the update, calling the improvements “profound.” “I think we’ll hopefully release a private beta of Autopilot, of the full self-driving version of...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/10/21/teslas-full-self-driving-software-deployed-to-careful-drivers/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
I’m glad I ordered this! Can’t wait to become a Tesla owner

Reactions: RabidYak
These guys demanding youtube subs to release videos are not doing the community any favors. Everyone is so hungry for any kind of video right now. And not 10min videos with old material and some new comments, just 5minutes of iphone video posted onto youtube would have been enough to get those thousands of subs without having annoy the fanbase...
I totally agree that greed and ways to monetize on the release of videos seem to have taken over. Hopefully the beta will soon reach a larger number of testers which will share videos quicker. It's a bit absurd that no videos have been released today during daylight conditions...

Or, they are editing their videos and stuffing them with fluff to make sure they can (reach the 10+ minute mark) monetize this on YouTube, etc...
I've seen some discussion that only the success stuff has been posted. Not sure what the motivation is behind that. Is that what the NDA says? Only successful drives are allowed to be posted? Will be interesting when we can see disengagements or worse: no disengagement when one was needed.

Or, they are editing their videos and stuffing them with fluff to make sure they can (reach the 10+ minute mark) monetize this on YouTube, etc...
This may be the reason why they are hesitating to share the videos:
"There are some ground rules to observe before becoming a certified YouTube Partner as well as some prerequisites needed to start. Aside from adhering to YouTube’s ad rules, you must amass a minimum of 4,000 video watch hours on your channel in the last 12 months and have 1,000 subscribers."

1k subscribers-check!
4000 hours of video watch hours- nope!

I can almost guarantee that they will continue delaying the posting of relevant videos until they have received the required 4000 watch-hours and been able to setup the YouTube partner program...

So, no... I don't think we will see much of interest in the next few days:)

This may be the reason why they are hesitating to share the videos:
"There are some ground rules to observe before becoming a certified YouTube Partner as well as some prerequisites needed to start. Aside from adhering to YouTube’s ad rules, you must amass a minimum of 4,000 video watch hours on your channel in the last 12 months and have 1,000 subscribers."

1k subscribers-check!
4000 hours of video watch hours- nope!

I can almost guarantee that they will continue delaying the posting of relevant videos until they have received the required 4000 watch-hours and been able to setup the YouTube partner program...

So, no... I don't think we will see much of interest in the next few days:)

Ding ding. They want to enable monetization for their channel.

I'm not a fan of some youtube channels cross posting other peoples videos just to get views when the content isn't even theirs. Even worse, they are even giving permission to others to use that video even though it is not their original video to share. Even though they are not claiming that it is their video, I would still like to think that they have sought permission from the original video creators.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I've seen some discussion that only the success stuff has been posted. Not sure what the motivation is behind that. Is that what the NDA says? Only successful drives are allowed to be posted? Will be interesting when we can see disengagements or worse: no disengagement when one was needed.

Doesn’t seem likely... here’s a thread from the CEO of Voyage (also building autonomous vehicles) which is shows some issues:
https://twitter.com/olivercameron/status/1319835514887831552?s=21

I’m not at all surprised to see there are issues. That’s the whole point of the very limited beta release.

Many of us still remember when lane changing was first released. It was both amazing and a little scary as the car felt like a newly licensed teenage driver (perhaps more so to those of us having just lived through that experience in real life). But after a few months of early testing and human confirmations, the car became more confident and no longer needed us to confirm. Lane changes now are smooth, confident, and without hesitation.

I fully expect to see FSD progress in a similar manner, and am impatiently waiting to become part of the test fleet myself.

It's my understanding that Early Access Program folks are specifically prohibited by non-disclosure agreeement from having things like TeslaFi installed. I don't think you're going to see 2020.44 pop up there. And when it does, it won't be 2020.44, that versions will be updated again before going live.
I think you are going to be surprised to see 2020.44 pop up in the next couple days.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
2020.44 is on TeslaFi now. Anyone know what's in it?
Well, you've heard it in the movies.... I can tell you, but then I have to kill you. :)

Truthfully though, I don't know what is in it. I haven't been to the factory in a week. I just know it is on a few cars (outside TeslaFi).
By the time I know, you will likely know first. I'm going on vacation. Have fun folks.