Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 key card in apple watch wallet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it is possible to load the Tesla 3 key card into the Apple Watch wallet and start using the Apple Watch to open the Tesla 3 (without additional app). Am I correct? Do you know how? Thank you and very much appreciated (I have googled, read a lot but nothing clear)

Reactions: Jane4
I believe it is possible to load the Tesla 3 key card into the Apple Watch wallet and start using the Apple Watch to open the Tesla 3 (without additional app). Am I correct? Do you know how? Thank you and very much appreciated (I have googled, read a lot but nothing clear)

Not directly no. Tesla does not support apple watch, does not have an apple watch app, and the phone as key feature does not work through an apple watch.

The reason nothing is "clear" when you read it, is because third party apps can also trigger the door open, start car abilities the same as the tesla APP (which, is NOT the same as "phone as key).

The basic difference is, starting the car or opening the door from the app requires the car have access to a network connection, either its own cellular connection or wifi. If its in a parking garage with no cellular / wifi, you can not open the door using the APP to open it.

In those circumstances, however, "phone as key" will work, because that specific feature uses Bluetooth LE (low emissions / energy bluetooth), and that does NOT require a network connection, nor does it work with apple watch.

Thank you everybody, that is saving me a lot of time trying to get the Tesla card key on my Apple Watch. So in conclusion I will need to buy an extra app to get my watch to at least open the Tesla? Thank you again
Some apps, that allow you to unlock your car and drive, are pricey, Stats, and some are cheap, EVWatch, and some are in the middle WatchforTesla. I have all 3, plus others, but I currently use WatchforTesla in a complication on my Watch. Remember, you need a network connection, so the cellular version Watch is required.

Some apps, that allow you to unlock your car and drive, are pricey, Stats, and some are cheap, EVWatch, and some are in the middle WatchforTesla. I have all 3, plus others, but I currently use WatchforTesla in a complication on my Watch. Remember, you need a network connection, so the cellular version Watch is required.
Which app actually allows you to drive please?

What is the point of this? If you have your watch on you, then your phone is in your pocket which already makes your access seamless.

Just trying to see the benefit here.
What do you mean by that?

Prior to owning a Tesla I used to go all over without my iPhone with me and just use my watch. Now that I have a Tesla I need my phone as it is the key.

I don’t want any 3rd party apps to connect with the car.

I wish Tesla and Apple would become buddies and allow the watch full access with the CarKey in Apple wallet.

What is the point of this? If you have your watch on you, then your phone is in your pocket which already makes your access seamless.

Just trying to see the benefit here.
I don't have an apple watch but I have Galaxy Watch 4 with a cellular connection. I can conceive of times when it would be nice to wear just my watch and not carry my phone. Perhaps if I were actually a runner and went for a run at the park. I'm not a runner though. Lol.

But that‘s only would be ok if your watch has it’s own cellular data. I wouldn’t be caught dead without a phone. I need to make sure my kids can get ahold of me at any point.
I think what KenC and the OP are wishing was for the watch to act as a bluetooth key, like the phone does. I have cellular data on my watch, because I cycle, and I don't want to carry around a $1k phone in my jersey. But that's not what KenC and the OP are saying. They would like the watch to act as a bluetooth key, just like the phone does. All Tesla has to do is to allow your watch OR your phone to act as a key. Whether they choose to write a watch app, that would have similar control functions as the phone app is a different story. I think they should - but Elon doesn't answer my tweets...

But that‘s only would be ok if your watch has it’s own cellular data. I wouldn’t be caught dead without a phone. I need to make sure my kids can get ahold of me at any point.
I think what KenC and the OP are wishing was for the watch to act as a bluetooth key, like the phone does. I have cellular data on my watch, because I cycle, and I don't want to carry around a $1k phone in my jersey. But that's not what KenC and the OP are saying. They would like the watch to act as a bluetooth key, just like the phone does. All Tesla has to do is to allow your watch OR your phone to act as a key. Whether they choose to write a watch app, that would have similar control functions as the phone app is a different story. I think they should - but Elon doesn't answer my tweets...

Reactions: drift and RNHurt

I long wistfully for the days before everyone was connected all the time. I do my best to give my kid as much of the experiences I had growing up as I can. As in … he can wander our (admittedly safe suburban) neighborhood at his leisure. He has the boundaries he can’t cross but aside from that — be back for dinner. Go have fun with your friends, but if you get caught doing something stupid, there’ll be hell to pay.

Maybe that’ll put me in prison one day, but so far, so good.

Please, don’t take it as judgemental or insulting or the like — not at all!! I’m genuinely curious if others try to find “disconnect” time for themselves and their kids …. I suspect I’m way outside the norm here.