Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But Tesla is opening up its Superchargers to everyone else. The only reason why I chose Tesla is now not an issue, even though 99% of the time I charge at home.

Pretty tired of Tesla service and the mediocre ride quality.
glad to see someone in the same position...

i just add rattles and other *sugar* to the mix...

my main reason to go with tesla was network as I was not sure how I am going to deal with it.

Now I see that it is not a biggie

Reactions: bobbyjae
I tend to disagree. it is actually quite good.

I am yet to see Instavolt, Genie or similar to be off - all of them I encounter on my weekly commute are fully operational and works...
Ill give you Instavolt but Genie? Really? You need an app for most of them still and its awful. When i was in Devon the nearest 3 Rapids were Genie. All broken.

I tend to disagree. it is actually quite good.

Fair enough, but I don't think that "quite good" is anything like good enough - but actually sounds like your experience has been faultless?

My experiences have been dire, but using Supercharger network I rarely need other brands, so not enough personal experience to be representative. But (from curiosity) I do look at user-comments on Plugshare and Zap-Map and its disappointing how many (recent) failed-charges there are - and also the length of time before repair.

I have had an intended Supercharger go off line - SatNav told me and routed to a different one. That was pretty cool - but of course I had range for the alternate. Its only happened once

I've charged at Superchargers nearly 150 times and over 4,000 kWh (TeslaFi says ...). I've had to queue twice, and for no more than 5 or 10 minutes, and I've had a slow stall on two occasions (and just moved to a different stall).

Tesla is opening up its Superchargers to everyone else

The only Tesla Superchargers open to other brands in the UK are the ones that don't have much occupancy. I expect they will do the same in USA - not lease because USA has a lot of stalls to convert to Magic Dock (although Tesla they did similar to all chargers across the whole of EU when Model-3 first arrived (different plug in EU to prior Model-S/X) and that only took a few months). If Tesla won't get any public money (as is happening in California) I don't know whether they will be bothered to open all USA sites (i.e. "just for the revenue") if it costs them USP

That may change - in a number of EU countries they did "Infrequently used sites" and then "all" ... as might Tesla coming good on its promise of adding lots of UK Supercharger sites "soon".

I'm sceptical on the latter, but given how shiite all the other UK vendors are Tesla could clean up on charging if it just went balls-out. But here in UK you can't just throw up a site, getting the power to the site and a bunch of other things / red-tape take a long time (for many locations)

Which is - how often? You used only 6%. SC and out of this may be you used couple of times others? As @Jason71 mentioned you are statistically insignificant!
Every week I drive past Instavolt charge station on A168 - the location has 4 charging stations. haven't seen any of them not working during past year. Always someone is charging as well.

genie I encounter less often, but no issues as well.

but this will be even less relevant in the future when tesla will open all SC locations to others. so no biggie there guys

Which is - how often? You used only 6%. SC and out of this may be you used couple of times others? As @Jason71 mentioned you are statistically insignificant!
To be fair we are all statistically insignificant on this including my Devon Anecdote so lets look at some actual figures. In the autoExpress 2022 survey Genie was 8th out of 12
but the things that stopped them being lower were
a) locations, which if they don't work is not much help
b)customer service which needs to be good because the chargers don't work
1678970987153.png

Instavolt was 3rd and Tesla 1st for the record