Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks different and certainly not boring imho yet not my cup of tea either. It will probably appeal to the US market and it very much reminds of a cadillac escalade 🤔
With some rare exceptions, we’re definitely living through the age of some very ugly cars. I think the crash regs and pedestrian safety regs they must now incorporate don’t help to be fair.

Especially seems to infect EVs where all the usual bets are off.

I don’t think it looks too bad either, although I confess I cant ever recall seeing any large 7 seater car and thinking Ohhh she's a looker. I suspect if you are in the market for a car that fits up to 7 adults, the external styling is not high on your list of priorities.

My suggestion of the EV9 as a Model X Alternative was more in relation to Tech on offer and the internal capacity.

What disappoints me most is the lack of real leather on this and all future Kia models. I really dislike this vegan “leather” crap, which doesn’t resemble any leather I’ve ever seen. It makes the interior of my M3 look cheap (which it is) and I suspect it will on any other car that uses it.

I really hope there are manufacturers out there who will buck the present trend for “sustainable” materials and continue to give us interiors covered in acres of real dead cow. There’s nothing quite like it.

• Funny
Reactions: Caramel and Sean.
umm, isn't it the same problem Teslas have with 12v lead batteries, that's why they moved to 18V li-ion?

I can clearly remember few treads here about dead 12v batteries due to lack of heat/vibration from EV compared to ICE.. .:)
I dont know about vibration and heat but they are supposed to be deep cycle batteries (like leisure batteries) and same as still used in many UPS systems that get neither and last a very long time. Its all about battery management and even my motorbike with a big Ltwin still has the same cranking battery from new back in June 2013.

Where did you get the 18v from? I thought they were meant to be 15v 🤔

I dont know about vibration and heat but they are supposed to be deep cycle batteries (like leisure batteries) and same as still used in many UPS systems that get neither and last a very long time. Its all about battery management and even my motorbike with a big Ltwin still has the same cranking battery from new back in June 2013.

Where did you get the 18v from? I thought they were meant to be 15v 🤔
umm yes15... I cannot remember the figure, but I know that originally it was lead-acid 12v and in 2021 they started to ship cars with lithium ion ;)

Precisely. I think it’s Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) on the non-traction, low voltage battery, as opposed to lithium ion.

They are quite different in character.

Tesla no longer use Li-Ion cells in their large stationary energy products (Megapacks). They transitioned those to LFP around the same time.
This photo suggests its Lithium-ion

• Informative
Reactions: Sean.
This photo suggests its Lithium-ion
Interesting. LFP seems to be the chemistry of choice for other makers going down this road for the low voltage battery.