Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not watched this but my brother has a Kona. Pre-heatpump model so drives around sometimes with a thick coat on and his kids in cryostasis in the back to save on range but outside of the heating take a bit of a chunk out of the range, it's remarkably efficient. It certainly uses less energy than our Model 3 Performance does and probably not far off a Model 3 Long Range. For the price, a very good car I think.

I should watch this video though but just to say that one doesn't get mentioned much but for a lower priced EV is a really solid pick.
Who needs a sh!tty rear screen to keep the kids occupied. Just freeze them and defrost on arrival!

Who needs a sh!tty rear screen to keep the kids occupied. Just freeze them and defrost on arrival!
1712763991807.png

• Funny
Reactions: Jwdrums and Utumno
There’s been some software issues with the EX30 like it keeps on switching charging to 6 amps. Nothing that a software update can’t fix but I wouldn’t be in a rush to buy on at the moment. Also the Smart #1 and 3, which share the same underlying architecture as the EX30, do seem to have some compatibility issues with certain fast chargers. Think part of the issue is they are entirely new cas compared to the Hyundai Kona, where the electric version has been around since 2018. Then again I wouldn’t buy a Kona either as there’s no wow factor, but I don’t think I’m their target audience.

There’s been some software issues with the EX30 like it keeps on switching charging to 6 amps. Nothing that a software update can’t fix but I wouldn’t be in a rush to buy on at the moment. Also the Smart #1 and 3, which share the same underlying architecture as the EX30, do seem to have some compatibility issues with certain fast chargers. Think part of the issue is they are entirely new cas compared to the Hyundai Kona, where the electric version has been around since 2018. Then again I wouldn’t buy a Kona either as there’s no wow factor, but I don’t think I’m their target audience.
My brother just got the Kona as at the time it was the cheapest EV with a really good and long range, nothing more than that. He's an accountant so he's a tight wad ;)

Software is the major issue with all these new cars. Used to be you'd wonder how well they'd screw them together, panel gaps and so on but most have all that stuff reasonably well locked down these days. It's the software that almost all makes seem to struggle with. As there's a massive EV price war and market battle for share, I think a lot are shipping them before they probably should and they aren't quite ready for prime time. Was exactly the issue with my Lotus.

Some UK based EX30 content. Doesn't come out on top vs the Kona, which is not a good sign.

Their conclusion was only based on rear seat space, so if that's not important to owners then the conclusion would be different.

I sat in both the Kona and the EX30 at the Everything Electric show, and I really had a positive dislike for the Kona, everything felt dated compared to my Model 3. I was surprised to actually quite like the EX30, had the same feeling of consistency and logic. The plastics did feel a bit like a Scandinavian public loo, but you could sort of see what they are trying to do.

As we will be 'empty nesters' in a couple of years I absolutely would be considering a second hand EX30 by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: trueblue_ips
I think a lot are shipping them before they probably should and they aren't quite ready for prime time.
It’s an unfortunate consequence of OTA updates where any old garbage (the MVP) is shipped with the promise that one day it’ll be fixed with a future update.

Sadly new, shiny features get prioritised over fixing things so the improvements never really happen that quickly either.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Mod comment: I've remove the spat for obvious reason.

For clarity, another mod moved a number of posts to the sites Snippiness thread which you are welcome to go and read, I should probably do that rather than delete them but it involved many more key strokes whilst on my phone. So there was a post and whilst not deleted, it was moved.

Reactions: HenryT
It’s an unfortunate consequence of OTA updates where any old garbage (the MVP) is shipped with the promise that one day it’ll be fixed with a future update.

Sadly new, shiny features get prioritised over fixing things so the improvements never really happen that quickly either.
Indeed. Just I think their opinion of what a MVP is and the public will accept is a little off the mark sometimes.

Reactions: Kvitravn
My brother just got the Kona as at the time it was the cheapest EV with a really good and long range, nothing more than that. He's an accountant so he's a tight wad ;)

Software is the major issue with all these new cars. Used to be you'd wonder how well they'd screw them together, panel gaps and so on but most have all that stuff reasonably well locked down these days. It's the software that almost all makes seem to struggle with. As there's a massive EV price war and market battle for share, I think a lot are shipping them before they probably should and they aren't quite ready for prime time. Was exactly the issue with my Lotus.
My home charge point has been used by visitors with E-Tron(x2) and a Kia on multiple occasions ... none were able get their apps to work for setting up timed charging!

My home charge point has been used by visitors with E-Tron(x2) and a Kia on multiple occasions ... none were able get their apps to work for setting up timed charging!
My brother just uses a granny charger and hasn't even bothered with a cheap overnight tariff. I have mentioned it to him but he's not bothered.

Some of them are very poor with timed charging. My Eletre didn't have any option for it at all. No doubt it'll come at some point but doesn't seem high on their list at the moment.

My brother just uses a granny charger and hasn't even bothered with a cheap overnight tariff. I have mentioned it to him but he's not bothered.

Some of them are very poor with timed charging. My Eletre didn't have any option for it at all. No doubt it'll come at some point but doesn't seem high on their list at the moment.
Bizarre … how hard can it be? I’ve been charging for less than nothing over the past few days using Octopus Agile… they’re paying me to use electricity if I charge at the right times. I would have thought this would be an EV selling point.

Reactions: Js1977
Bizarre … how hard can it be? I’ve been charging for less than nothing over the past few days using Octopus Agile… they’re paying me to use electricity if I charge at the right times. I would have thought this would be an EV selling point.
Yes we do the same, works really well and still boggles my mind can have some free electricity.

So I think the issue isn’t so much writing the code to turn on the charging on a set time. It’s more you see a lot of EV’s ship where I think to stop vampire drain the car pretty much shuts down so it probably cannot track when it should wake up to start charging. You see on a few of these newer EV’s with iffy software problems like they can drain the 12v when there’s still plenty of charge in the HV battery simply because they can only charge it when the car is awake.

Tesla has this all figured out and software wise are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. Sure they aren’t perfect with things like wipers but generally it’s incredibly well thought out.