Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla auto wipers is a real danger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get an attitude of "yeah, it's not perfect, but quit whining". For sure we need to be keep whining here about things that aren't good yet. How else do they know what to fix? And argument that it doesn't work well on a 65k car is legitimate as well.

Yeah, it's not end of the world and for most people wouldn't be a reason to not buy a car. But it's still something they should fix.
Whining about stuff here doesn't do anything to get it fixed. This forum is not owned by Tesla and is not monitored by Tesla for "issues" people have.

Reactions: DblOSmith
They work fine for me during the day, but nighttime is less than ideal unless there are lots of streets lights around.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about - my Model 3's auto-wipers work perfectly for me 110% of the time, when it doesn't rain.
Specifically - they mostly do nothing when there is no rain (100% success rate), and auto-turn-on whenever I pull into my garage (where it never rains), so + 10% bonus.

They only time they get flaky is during precipitation, but hey, who's perfect?
In dry conditions, they are 110% effective! Elon rules!

I tried auto wipers on my 2021 Model 3 expecting them to be horrible from accounts in these forums, but actually they work fine, may even be more aggressive in wiping than I typically do. If I need a quick swipe, I can just push the button. However, I'm the type that prefer to not wipe until absolutely necessary, so it may be different for others if your preference is different.

Yeah, when we picked ours up back in June, I was a little concerned as I had read some of the same, and it the weather was pretty craptacular that day, but they worked as expected, and since then, I don't know that I've had an issue that was approaching anything near dangerous - in fact, our wipers seem to be a little overly excited to fire up,even just from a touch of ocean mist :D

Reactions: DblOSmith
Whining about stuff here doesn't do anything to get it fixed. This forum is not owned by Tesla and is not monitored by Tesla for "issues" people have.
I guarantee that this forum is monitored by Tesla. That is the largest consumer forum. Tesla is not made by idiots who don't care about consumer feedback. Also, shutting people complaints on specific topic spreads everywhere and eventually they think it's not an issue at all and do nothing about it.

Reactions: afadeev
I don't know what you guys are complaining about - my Model 3's auto-wipers work perfectly for me 110% of the time, when it doesn't rain.
Specifically - they mostly do nothing when there is no rain (100% success rate), and auto-turn-on whenever I pull into my garage (where it never rains), so + 10% bonus.

That is one heavily underrated post.

I’ve never been totally sold on any brands “auto wipers”. They mostly all suck. That being said, I’ve been pretty happy with the performance on 10.5 beta.
At least on most of them I had sensitivity adjustment and here I was hoping they going to learn from my constant nagging of it, but apparently they are busy doing something else instead.

Most of the time if it's dirt and rain - it would swipe it way later than I prefer, so either I'm keep pushing it manually or getting distracted from watching a road to change it to manual operation which eventually going to scratch windshield when it will be too dry.

Software update with learning was promised and never delivered. So I'm all for keep whining.

Reactions: Transformer

Mine actually *do* turn on when it's completely dry sometimes. Auto wipers are bad, manual wipers are worse, and windshield sprayers are the worst.

Everything else on the car is great, but it's clear this car was designed by people who live in California.

Mine actually *do* turn on when it's completely dry sometimes. Auto wipers are bad, manual wipers are worse, and windshield sprayers are the worst.

Everything else on the car is great, but it's clear this car was designed by people who live in California.
Yeah, I was going to say we don't have any problem with the wipers here in CA. We had our one rain of the year today, and they worked flawlessly.

Yeah, I was going to say we don't have any problem with the wipers here in CA. We had our one rain of the year today, and they worked flawlessly.
Yep. Rained today and will through tomorrow. That's our rain for the year. This is only the 2nd time my wipers have been used, but they worked exactly as they were supposed to. The only thing that I hate about the car is not being allowed to use cruise control in the fog.

Reactions: rpiotro
Never have had a problem on my 2021 M3LR. Maybe they run a little fast for my liking, but I expect the cameras put a little extra demand on them.

Wouldn't have given them a second thought if it wasn't for all the complaints on this forum.

Not to say that others don't have issues. Inconsistency across different copies of the same product are worrisome.

Add the windows and trunk to that list. Opening the trunk in the winter dumps a bunch of snow inside... the lip is way too small. My last car you could crack the windows in the rain and the water would flow over the crack, but in the M3 the water flows into the crack.

It's not lost on me though that the other manufacturers have had a *lot* more time to sort these issues out.

I really wish Tesla would simply improve the manual wipers... many more than 4 thresholds and ability to change the speed with the scroll wheel. This would be an easy fix.

I guess my previous cars must have been horrible because the auto high beams and wipers work Ok on this Model3. The wipers come on on dry rarely to clear the front Cameras, but I keep all the cameras clean. Driving in muddy conditions I wipe 'em down at every pit stop. The rear camera is poorly designed and gets mud'n snowed right away. The left pillar needs something done to prevent occasional condensation that disables AP for a while.

Easily solved for every person's different climate/tolerance. Voice command = Set wipers more/less sensitive. Done. Just needs some software typing on Tesla's part.
It's going to take them the same amount of time just learning from user interaction with manual swipe that sensitivity is too low. Voice commands are too slow and unreliable for that. They just don't think that it's a real issue, because most have accepted that hassle.

Reactions: Transformer
I agree. I think it's pretty garbage too.

For this price point of a car, should be better judged. Not to mention the wiper material is already subpar and makes steaks and noises fairly early in their work cycle. Disclaimer, I wash my car once to twice a week so the window and the wipers are clean. I don't use aquapel or any of those rainx products so there isn't uneven distribution of chemicals of the glass.

I've had no issues with the wipers themselves. They get the job done well enough, but I keep the windshield clean and wax it after washing. Almost 13k miles on the same blades and we get frequent rain showers. The manual usage takes a little getting used to and could be better, but I'm not bothered by it. Press the stalk button then turn it on via the screen. After the that, the voice commands 'wipers faster" or "wipers on 1, 2 or 3" usually works fast enough. I only use the voice for speed adjustments or to turn it off. I prefer the stalk for turning it on as it's much faster for those sudden showers.

I haven't used the automatic setting in a while. It needs some work, but it's not any worse than any other car I've owned. They all have issues IMO.

Last edited: