Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla auto wipers is a real danger

nlecrenier

Jul 14, 2020
Belgium
I was driving with light rain, and wipers on auto. The fact you cannot change the speed quickly and that the automatic detection is poorly working can be deadly. In my case, the rain suddenly became so strong that I could not even see the motorway and the system did not adjust the speed quickly enough, forcing me the search the command on the central screen. Really dangerous

Nicolas, Belgium

Reactions: Tres_Azul

stonelance

Jul 26, 2018
Seattle
You can push the button on the stalk to force the wiper to swipe, and as far as i understand there are voice commands to adjust the wipers, although maybe they don't work in Belgium?

• Informative
Reactions: Noodles

beachsideev

May 23, 2020
usa
When I first got my car about 6 months ago, I thought the auto wipers were useless too. They never started when they should have and they would turn on randomly for no reason. I have them on other cars and those work much better. I eventually shut them off for a few months. However I have since turned them back on again and they seem to work ok for me now. I'm not going to say they work perfectly, but they are better. If it has just started raining lightly they still are slow to turn on but I've found that by pushing the mist button on the stalk it appears to wake them up and they usually work pretty well for the rest of the drive.

Although I did have one experience with them in auto mode that really astonished me. It had rained pretty heavily but had stopped and the auto wipers weren't on. The car in the lane next to me hit a deep puddle and sent a wall of water towards the car. I can't prove this, but it seemed like the wipers actually proactively turned on just before the water hit the windshield. It was pretty amazing.

hellocar

Jan 26, 2020
New Jersey
Yeah I also found the auto wipers to be pretty pathetic when I first got the car in March (late 2019 software). These days it works almost perfectly for me, much better than the BMW I had before. Whenever it doesn't wipe fast enough for me, I just tap that left stalk button as other posters have said. I don't think there's any safety issue if the driver knows about that button.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I was driving with light rain, and wipers on auto. The fact you cannot change the speed quickly and that the automatic detection is poorly working can be deadly. In my case, the rain suddenly became so strong that I could not even see the motorway and the system did not adjust the speed quickly enough, forcing me the search the command on the central screen. Really dangerous

Nicolas, Belgium

Beside pushing the stalk, you could have pushed the button for voice commands on the steering wheel and said "Wipers, high speed".

Or "Wipers, Speed 4". Both of those would work, and be faster than searching for the command on the screen.

Reactions: Skione65

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego

Nicolas, Belgium
Just press the button in once and this will wake up the wiper system and it will work right after that.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC